Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Cave of Sorrows Dungeons and Dragons Clone

Grinding Game Studios

Ellis Studios
Developer
Just a small video showing off the gameplay of Cave of Sorrows, this game is very similar to Temple of Elemental Evil, and Baldurs Gate. The game will feature well over 100 hours of gameplay. Let us know what you think, all feedback is well taken. Excuse the bad video, Looks a little better in fullscreen.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got a slight vertigo from that clip.
There is a "too much" in video editing, you know...
Seriously, I find that video very hard to watch.

After I collected my stomach, the game itself doesn't even look too bad.
But, honestly, for a KS to be successful these days, especially one as niche as that (and asking for more than 10k), you need to do your homework before going to KS.
And that means buildings some momentum and a community beforehand.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Some of the spell icons on their kickstarter screens are ripped right from WOW.

9UeVCnW.jpg

dWLxcOS.jpg

Deleted Member 16721

Apparently the icons are placeholders for the demo.

The demo is promising. Anyone checking it out?

Deleted Member 16721

I see daveyd has a different character build he uses here on the Codex vs. the Watch. Interesting.

:updatedmytxt:

Deleted Member 16721

I posted some more thoughts over on the 'Watch. Take from them what you will.

You may think I'm nuts but this Cave of Sorrows game so far is a bit reminiscent of ToEE, at least in the combat and all the options you can use. I don't see much in the way of "trash mobs" yet. The first cave had one Cave Spider and then an Ogre, which is a really tough encounter. Another cave I found had 2 Cave Spiders in an encounter which was quite tough as well, and then another path with a bunch of Zombies that I didn't even care to tackle since it looked as though I'd get rocked. It kind of feels like a Spiderweb Software game from a visual perspective, and funny enough it may even have higher production values in the graphics department than Jeff's games.
laugh2.gif

There are some weird issues that are present in their other games as well, such as the text being a bit hard to read in the character sheet (black text on dark brown background, needs work), and a few other things I've mentioned to the devs. I am impressed by the tooltips, both in and out of combat. They are slick, give a bunch of information and look good visually. The inventory is pretty nice, too, and the loot looks promising in that D&D style. I didn't notice placeholder icons that were familiar but I wasn't paying much attention to that. Character portraits are alright, I think they are RPG Maker portraits and what not (could be wrong). The voice acting that is in the game is great, although it may play a bit too frequently for my taste (I also mentioned this to the devs.)

Otherwise it seems like a competent turn-based RPG so far. If it offers 100 hours of challenging combat and meaningful character progression, I'm in.

I should also note that I'm waiting to hear back from the devs on a difficult encounter. I may have missed some place to explore, not sure. I'd check more but I'm dealing with a nasty migraine right now so I'll wait until later to play more.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
you can't expect devs to make games from scratch. they have to steal. just give them your money and be grateful for the privilege.
on a side note, i think it's time to implement censorship on this kind of crap. mods should have something to do and delete these kickstarter hype threads before i get to read them. i'm getting sick of reading shit like "the game will have xxx hours of content". if people want to read this kind of crap they can go directly to kickstarter, it doesn't need to show up on the codex.

Deleted Member 16721

Posting my video I made showing off the demo. Note - There is a slight audio synchronization issue, I apologize in advance (I should have paid more attention when mixing the levels, d'oh!)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't tried it out, but it looks like it could be decent. There was a funny moment in the beginning of the video where you call the game arpg.

Deleted Member 16721

I haven't tried it out, but it looks like it could be decent. There was a funny moment in the beginning of the video where you call the game arpg.

Yeah, it actually seems decent. Haven't gotten to play a lot yet but I hope they polish it more.

Deleted Member 16721

I swear this was an RPG Maker game at one point.

What do you mean? They say it's not an RPG Maker game.

I'm really hoping the game isn't shovelware because it actually has deep D&D stuff in it. I mean deep as in Temple of Elemental Evil, even. Tons of combat options, a lot of advanced D&D mechanics, deep and complex ruleset, TONS of Feats, Skills, Spells, interesting loot with meaningful stats, the whole nine. It's very promising, but again, they need to prove this is not broken shovelware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom