Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Centauri problem

Master

Arbiter
Been playing SMAC lately and for some reason the Detailed map isnt working. It shows nothing and i cant right click on it to get zoom in/out options like i can on the World map. Whats happening?

Master

Arbiter
Hmm another bug or im just being stupid. The game says: if i build a road on rocky terrain with a mine already on it i get +1 minerals. But im not getting anything, the mineral count stays the same with or without the road. This is in a game with the Hive. But in another game with Santiago when i add the road i get +2 minerals instead of +1 as it should be... What a hell is going on?

panzertoter

Arcane
What a hell is going on?

Russian-Hacker.jpg

Jason Liang

Arcane
Hmm another bug or im just being stupid. The game says: if i build a road on rocky terrain with a mine already on it i get +1 minerals. But im not getting anything, the mineral count stays the same with or without the road. This is in a game with the Hive. But in another game with Santiago when i add the road i get +2 minerals instead of +1 as it should be... What a hell is going on?

I know this is a dumb response but...

Did you lift the mineral cap yet? Before you lift the mineral cap, only terrain that has a mineral bonus resource can produce more than 2 mineral.

Master

Arbiter
I havent but in the manual it says:

Mining increases mineral production by +1 in flat or rolling squares and +2 in rocky squares, but they reduce nutrient output by one if the square would ordinarily produce more than one. A road in a mined rocky square adds an additional +1 to the square’s mineral output.

So the cap is 3 and lifting it lets you go above 3. The problem is i cant go above 2 because roads dont do jack shit. Fuck! Where is my +1 mineral?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
All tile production has a hard cap of 2 until you research certain techs, unless they have a special resource. discover Ecological Engineering and you will get your 3rd mineral.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes. Before you lift the mining cap, it makes no sense to build mines on any tile except mineral bonus resource tiles. You are better off planting forests with your formers.

Master

Arbiter
Where did you read that the cap is 3? The cap is 2.

Well it says in the post: a mine adds +2 in rocky terrain and a road adds +1 to that so thats 3. And in another place in the manual it says explicitly

Roads provide +1 minerals in rocky squares with a mine (total bonus from road and mine: +3). Roads do not provide a bonus to mines in flat or rolling terrain.

Actually doenst this mean the cap should be 4?!

Unmodified rocky square: 1 mineral
Mine on rocky square: +2 (1 original +2 =3)
Road + mine on rocky square: 1+3=4
:?:?:?

Where does it say this about cap being 2? I cant find that anywhere.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm not sure you understand this word "capped."

We've explained the mechanic to you already. You have to research Ecological Engineering first to get more than 2 Minerals (or more than 2 Nutrients without Gene Splicing) from a single tile, no matter what you build on it.

The most common exceptions are:

1) If a tile has a BONUS RESOURCE (It has a Nut, a Diamond or a Combustion icon) it is automatically uncapped for that resource.
2) A Condensor lifts the Nutrient cap on the tile. For example, if you possess the Weather Paradigm.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
:deathclaw:
I found it, under Resources.

"Your ability to exploit territory is limited by your technology. When you first arrive on Planet, you are generally unable to recover more than two of any one resource per turn"

And thats the only mention of the cap in the entire manual. Well fuck. Its a pretty critical piece of information and they shouldve outlined it or bolded it or something. Instead im busting my head for three days over this.

Well at least its not a bug

Still id want to know whats wrong with the Detailed map.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Alpha Centauri is a 17 year old beloved milestone of computer gaming. It is inconceivable that you'd find a major bug in the game that millions of previous gamers have never noticed, such as Yang receiving less resources than Santiago.

Older games also did not ship with major bugs, unlike the games being published these days. That a game which needed to be be patched 10 times before it could run without major bugs would be tolerated by gamers was also inconceivable for publishers back then. The "shelf-life" of older games was expected to be 3-4 years, not 6 months. Most older games have just 1 official patch, if any.

For SMAC (and this is true for most Firaxis games) the in game documentation (the gamepedia) is far more reliable than the manual. I would guess that most players learned to play SMAC without ever reading the manual, and the manual is mostly relevant only for the story and setting flavor.

Finally, SMAC has completely different mechanics and strategies compared to the Civ games and their clones. Playing SMAC the way you play Civ 2 works poorly.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
I dont doubt the base games stability. Its that im running GOG version with fairly recent Kyrubs AI patch + PRACX so i thought maybe that combo did something. The manual was actually very helpful, i just overlooked the cap thing. Also reading up all the rules of the game is somehow fun in itself besides the cool backstory.

Master

Arbiter
Something weird is happening with the AI. I see that Miriam builds Naval Yards in all her cities, even those that dont have a sea tile. But Naval Yards repair sea units only so how is that supposed to work. The building is kinda darkened in the list, i presume that means its useless? If so, then WTF. Is this behavior normal? Or is Sister Miriam preparing for a Great Flood, maybe intending to melt the polar caps, or what?

Master

Arbiter
Maritime Control Center. Well dumbfuck detected i guess. Still it would be cool if she could do that flood scheme. She could call it Flood 2
:roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom