Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Obsidian's worst rpg

What's Obsidian's worst game?

• Total voters

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If all these things are so important to you, how could you like that turd of DA:I?

Dragon Age isn't Pillars of Eternity and vice versa. Different expectations.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
What's so significantly different?

Per-encounter spells for wizards, priests, and druids, and the removal of health. That was the final straw, I was already unhappy with five characters instead of six, and the replacement of good writers with mediocre/lousy ones.

Sure those are valid annoyances, but I was more interested in how that affects your playstyle ? (unless that bit was just a quip)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure those are valid annoyances, but I was more interested in how that affects your playstyle ? (unless that bit was just a quip)

My playstyle involves not spamming spells in every encounter, and stretching long-term resources to their limit. When my meat-shields run low on health, I start using more spells to win fights. When I'm down to nothing on health and spells (or up against a boss with nothing else to clear), I rest.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Why was my post delete when I clearly contributed to this thread im a fucking raptor like you dad

Admin's Note: BECAUSE STAR STABLE BITCH

Last edited by a moderator:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Didn't care for NWN 2 (as a whole) nor DS3, South Park was kind of meh and so was AP.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is there a reason Sawyer or Fergus never talk about Mask of the Betrayer?

That is the single best RPG this company has ever done.... :M

Jazz_

Arcane
Obsidian haven't made a shit game. That will upset many people here, but it is the truth.

that's some deluded
fanboy.png
shit right there. NWN2? Dungeon Siege? I would argue they never really made a great game either, and even Avellone agrees with that. Very overrated company. I've always seen them as a very poor's man Troika/Black Isle.

Nuclear Explosion

that's some deluded
fanboy.png
shit right there. NWN2? Dungeon Siege? I would argue they never really made a great game either, and even Avellone agrees with that. Very overrated company. I've always seen them as a very poor's man Troika/Black Isle.
While it is true Obsidian have made their share of bad games, it is going too far to suggest that they have never made a great game: NV > FO 1&2. PoE is also one of the better RTwP cRPGs.

Furthermore, all of Troika's game have massive problems so describing Obsidian as a very poor man's Troika is absurd.

Deleted member 7219

that's some deluded
fanboy.png
While it is true Obsidian have made their share of bad games, it is going too far to suggest that they have never made a great game: NV > FO 1&2. PoE is also one of the better RTwP cRPGs.

Furthermore, all of Troika's game have massive problems so describing Obsidian as a very poor man's Troika is absurd.

Avellone is eager to trash his own legacy, which would be fine if it didn't mean he was also trashing other people's.

NWN2 is absolutely not a shit game, despite some problems with the story it has some great moments and characters - Ammon Jerro, Sand, the Trial, Crossroad Keep, and plenty of chances to actually "roleplay" your character (not LARP, but actual roleplaying with conversation options and quest solutions). It also has Mask of the Betrayer, possibly the best expansion pack of all time.

Dungeon Siege 3 is not a shit game for the reasons I have already stated. No matter how aggravating the core gameplay might be, it has good companions, an influence system, some reactivity and a good story with a convincing villain.

I'm not an Obsidian fanboy, but compared to the absurd number of Obsidian haters here I understand how I can appear that way. Just look at the vitriol poured on Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny, I mean, why? Most of the people who shit on Tyranny have obviously never even played it, and the people trolling Pillars are the same edgefags who threw their toys out the pram when they learned it wouldn't be turn-based.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Definitely hated Tyranny. Not quite able to put my finger on why, exactly.

laclongquan

Arcane
NWN2 OC is a great game. Not of top 5 class, but can easily stay within top 20 RPG of all times.

Truth is, the fact that so many vote butthurt option just show it's in many people's playlist. My bet on the Crossroad Keeps minigame beat their asses like a rented mule, so...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Anyone who with a straight face votes for Pillars of Eternity as their worst game, is an edgehard faglord. White March is almost as good as BG2.

How can such a true initial sentence co-exist with such a false news piece of shit lie as the second sentence? Does m'lady mayhap suffer from PMS-induced bi-polar syndrome? White March is a glued-on piece of shit that could've been a great stand-alone game (had it been much bigger), but is a perfect example of how to not do an expansion in a narrative-driven game, and to compare it to Baldur's Gate 2 is nothing short of sacrilege.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is there a reason Sawyer or Fergus never talk about Mask of the Betrayer?

That is the single best RPG this company has ever done.... :M

Sawyer typically doesn't talk about games he didn't have any or very little involvement with.

Prime Junta

Per-encounter spells for wizards, priests, and druids, and the removal of health. That was the final straw, I was already unhappy with five characters instead of six, and the replacement of good writers with mediocre/lousy ones.

I'm not sure all hope is lost with these. JES was quite categorical about five companions, but has qualified his statements about these things. I at least intend to keep banging on about this into the beta and beyond. There is a chance he'll change his mind about it; he has done so with comparably major things in P1.

Seaking4

Learned
I wouldn't say that White March is close to BG2 but PoE w/WM is light years from their worst game. It's probably their 3rd best. Narrowly edging out stealth/shooter that sucks as both a stealth game and a shooter and the unfinished Star Wars game with combat so bad that they just decided that making it as easy as possible was the only way to fix it.

It also features a wickedly overrated trial scene. No idea why anybody likes that part.

Extremely overrated crap. And a perfect example of the kind of fake choice story-fags like.

But to Obsidian's defense at least they did a sequel worthy of the NWN1 OC because it's hard to tell which one is worse.

The NWN1 OC is horrible but at least that game shipped with a toolset that wasn't completely shit. Obsidian botched NWN2 in both ways. The campaign was terrible and the toolset sucked.

There are a bunch in that list that I dislike, but I'm going with NWN2 since I could never get over how shitty it felt to play compared to the Infinity Engine games it was supposed to evolve from.

And I mean in every possible sense: camera, controls, interface, mechanics, encounter design, etc.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I think FNV is their only good game (vanilla only), but even that one has huuuuge flaws and is carried by the fact that the good parts are really good and the general context (released in dark ages, after the F3 monstrosity and so on).

The rest vary from meh to pretty much shovelware.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The Stick of Truth.

Any other answer, bar Dungeon Siege III, just has to be wrong. TSoT is just shallow, boring, and would be better off turned into a movie as opposed to being an actual game.

Sizzle

Arcane
More or less like all of them (in different ways), but all of them have flaws - some big, some minor - and your enjoyment of their games depends on how much you value good writing and ideas (that sometimes don't work) over everything else:

Alpha Protocol - an interesting experiment in reactivity. Buggy, the combat is meh (but by no means the worst on this list), and the game features both wacky, Roger Moore-style JB stuff where everything goes, and serious spy-thriller content, which doesn't mesh together all that well.

Dungeon Siege III - an okay (but not great) ARPG, with better lore building, characters, and even some reactivity than its predecessors. Haven't played the DLC, so don't know what it's like.

Fallout: New Vegas - an improvement over Fallout 3 in every conceivable way - but it still gets bogged down because of the engine. The faction system and some of the quests are fantastic. Has some of the best DLC of any game I've seen.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - A very polarizing experience. Has some great content (and interesting themes - I'd recommend everyone interested to read this LP), but also stuff like the Orc Mines and Grobnar.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of The Betrayer - the closest we ever got to feeling that Planescape: Torment charm again. Fantastic story, and stuff like the Myrkul conversation - which was originally supposed to have been an entire big level - shows us how sometimes cutting content can be a good thing. Like F:NV, it inherited some problems - like the camera.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - a fun little low-level style D&D romp. I believe most of the hate it gets here is because people expected another MoTB, but got a low-key expansion that was unconnected to NWN2 and its first expansion instead.

Pillars of Eternity - at launch, it was a very uneven game, but with TWM expansion, it turned out pretty good. The base game itself is awash with missed opportunities (narratively - it's a mess), but they took the time to properly patch it, add/change a lot of things that weren't working like they should, and they made a great expansion pack that featured the best content in the game.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - a funny, often hilarious (if you're a fan of SP, of course) game, with some of the best SP writing and gags in years. The gameplay itself is mediocre. Was always surprised there were never any additional content DLCs for this.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - this, and Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, are probably the last time Star Wars will ever be truly great. Ambitious, deep and philosophical in a way few ever thought SW could be, and now with the TSLRCM - very close to how Avellone envisiogned it. The gameplay itself is passable.

Tyranny - contrasted with PoE, it's one step in the right direction, three steps back. Interesting lore and world-building, reactivity, some good ideas, but combat so mind-numbingly dull you have to wonder why they even bothered with it. Also, at its current state feels very rushed and unfinished. For example, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was expecting some character quests (without them, some ccompanions feel like their character arcs are incomplete). I'm still hoping they'll do some DLC for it.

So, to answer the question, while I feel each of their games are worth playing through at least once, the games I had the least fun playing (as in - not simply enjoying the story, but actually physically playing them), are: Alpha Protocol (not a fan of that style of game), Dungeon Siege III (ditto), and South Park (I'll probably never play it again - it's only really funny the first time, and features no real reactivity or different outcomes).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom