Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I really want to have a discussion about this. Don't just tag this post with "butthurt." Don't just offer some dismissive comment making fun of me. Discuss the issue with the same fervor you've put into "less" and "fewer."
Well, if you read that discussion closely, you'll see that there's not much going on other than fervor. Argumentation per se leaves something to be desired. So I wouldn't expect much other than name-calling.
From what I can tell, Rance advocates here belong to one of two categories: 1) Those who appreciate the mechanics of the game and don't care about subject matter, and 2) Those whose development stopped at their teens. The categories aren't mutually exclusive.

Or 3) They are Japanese. (Oops, I made a racist joke)

Personally I'm more turned off by the anime artwork than the rape part. Not that I think raping is a good subject for a RPG quest, but at least it's different. And from the screenshots it seem to have some humour about it, so I'm not sure how serious it is.

There are some good threads on the Codex, and I could see participating in them for various reasons, but I don't see any reason to keep coming back to this forum. Not because I "couldn't take it" or was "thin-skinned," but because there was no upside to taking a bunch of abuse from lunatics.

Use the Ignore function to weed out the trolls, assholes and lunatics. Complaining to moderators may work on most forums, but not on this one. It's the (small) price we pay for the freedom of speech on this site.

Last edited:

Jazz_

Arcane
is crpgaddict going thru rpgs in a strict chronological order? seems like he hasn't played anything past 1991.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
is crpgaddict going thru rpgs in a strict chronological order? seems like he hasn't played anything past 1991.

Chronological, yes. Strict, no.
Also, he does some catching up with older titles he missed out on earlier.

Electryon

Savant
The guy just beat Fate and mapped the whole thing himself, which makes him more of a RPG-playing legend than 99.999999% of the people who participate in this forum. It must burn quite a few of them considering his political views.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Just to let you know, Chet, I'm also against stupid shit like Rance and visual novels.

If it is a visual novel or incorporates visual novel elements heavily, I won't even bother playing it.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
The guy just beat Fate and mapped the whole thing himself, which makes him more of an autist legend than 99.999999% of the people who participate in this forum. It must burn quite a few of them considering his political views.

Fixed that for you. Not every game is worth playing through.

Also, I strongly suspect he is a liar anyway. From his comments on many games such as Quest For Glory, I simply do not believe he actually played them all the way through.

Of course for games like Fate I can't comment, but for the ones I have played his comments sound more like he skimmed through a couple hours than he gave a solid, full playthrough.

And 300 hours...do you know how long that takes someone with a job to get through. A loooong time, even if you play to 4am and get yp at 8 for work every day for weeks.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The guy thinks Skyrim is a fantastic RPG, and writes constantly about how good it is.

This automatically invalidates any RPG "cred" the crpgaddict might have. Why? Because it is obvious he does not fully understand why RPGs are good or bad. The fact that he played through and beat Fate, and mapped it, is rendered meaningless because once he is done playing it he goes back to playing and praising games like Skyrim.

Do you recognize the dissonance here? Must I explain it further? He plays these older RPGs mostly out of historical curiosity. I would go so far as to say that he his playthroughs of older RPGs stem from wanting a "gimmick", a "shtick", and not from any true love of or appreciation of RPG game design.

EDIT: And it does not matter whether Skyrim or Oblivion were his "first RPGs". If he truly was doing this for the purpose of educating himself about the nature of an RPG (spot this reference, heh); with the dozens of truly classic and worldly RPGs he has already played by now it would be natural to assume that he has gained the equivalent of philosophical wisdom regarding RPG design.

However... he has not, and his continued praising of Bethesda output shines a light on his lack of desire to understand RPGs.

TL;DR: To put it as simply as possible: the cprgaddict does not understand why Skyrim is a terrible game; and at the end of the day he considers the RPGs he plays for his blog to be inferior to Bethesda games.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
The guy thinks Skyrim is a fantastic RPG, and writes constantly about how good it is.

This automatically invalidates any RPG "cred" the crpgaddict might have. Why? Because it is obvious he does not fully understand why RPGs are good or bad. The fact that he played through and beat Fate, and mapped it, is rendered meaningless because once he is done playing it he goes back to playing and praising games like Skyrim.

Do you recognize the dissonance here? Must I explain it further? He plays these older RPGs mostly out of historical curiosity. I would go so far as to say that he his playthroughs of older RPGs stem from wanting a "gimmick", a "shtick", and not from any true love of or appreciation of RPG game design.

EDIT: And it does not matter whether Skyrim or Oblivion were his "first RPGs". If he truly was doing this for the purpose of educating himself about the nature of an RPG (spot this reference, heh); with the dozens of truly classic and worldly RPGs he has already played by now it would be natural to assume that he has gained the equivalent of philosophical wisdom regarding RPG design.

However... he has not, and his continued praising of Bethesda output shines a light on his lack of desire to understand RPGs.

TL;DR: To put it as simply as possible: the cprgaddict does not understand why Skyrim is a terrible game; and at the end of the day he considers the RPGs he plays for his blog to be inferior to Bethesda games.

crpgaddict said:
Steam tells me that when I last played Oblivion on my PC, it took me 213 hours. Skyrim took 278. (Neither totals count the multiple times I played both games on my console.)

:lol:

Mustawd

TL;DR: To put it as simply as possible: the cprgaddict does not understand why Skyrim is a terrible game;

Skyrim is a terrible rpg, but seems like a fun enough action game to me. Which, if you read his blog, is basically what he's praising. Not sure if he's conscious of it, but he's basically praising Skyrim for being an RPG Grand Theft Auto. Don't think he ever praised the RPG aspects of it IIRC. But I could be wrong.

Anyhow, I disagree with your crazy leap of logic aweigh. There are plenty of old school games he enjoys, including nethack, rogue, Goldbox games, etc.

Nuclear Explosion

Skyrim is a terrible rpg, but seems like a fun enough action game to me.
It is not. Dark Messiah and Dishonored are examples of quality first-person action games. Skyrim's melee combat is floaty and lacks impact; it cannot be described as even an adequate first-person action game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The guy just beat Fate and mapped the whole thing himself, which makes him more of a RPG-playing legend than 99.999999% of the people who participate in this forum. It must burn quite a few of them considering his political views.

He's a weird guy. On the one hand he's ultra hard core and completes nearly all the old cRPGs, even the most obscure ones and the really huge ones like Fate. On the other hand he refuses to give full score in the Sound, Graphics and UI category unless the game is fully voice acted.

Just to let you know, Chet, I'm also against stupid shit like Rance and visual novels.

If it is a visual novel or incorporates visual novel elements heavily, I won't even bother playing it.

Not even Betrayal at Krondor (which I know is great) or Planescape: Torment?

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
And it does not matter whether Skyrim or Oblivion were his "first RPGs". If he truly was doing this for the purpose of educating himself about the nature of an RPG (spot this reference, heh); with the dozens of truly classic and worldly RPGs he has already played by now it would be natural to assume that he has gained the equivalent of philosophical wisdom regarding RPG design.

What's funny is that Chet has played over 250 cRPGs and spent thousands of hours on them. It only took me New Vegas and Morrowind to realize Skyrim (my first western RPG) was shit. And those were literally my third and fourth western RPGs, my second being Fallout 3. :negative:

Talk about efficiency.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
...he refuses to give full score in the Sound, Graphics and UI category unless the game is fully voice acted.

is this shit for REAL? My opinion of the crpgaddict has hit an all time low. He does not even realize that voice acting is one of the main things that (almost) killed off true RPGs.

(VO hamstrings the writing).

:facepalm:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
dsd.png

V_K

Arcane
...he refuses to give full score in the Sound, Graphics and UI category unless the game is fully voice acted.

is this shit for REAL? My opinion of the crpgaddict has hit an all time low. He does not even realize that voice acting is one of the main things that (almost) killed off true RPGs.

Well, he said in a further comment that he might have been wrong on that one.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

To be fair, when reading his message closer he actually comes close to the same conclusion as you.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Need to replace every mention of Trump with Skyrim in his political rant blog-post and post it on his site.

The codex's massive contributions to society as a prestigious magazine are not for Bethestards!!!1

EDIT: even though we still deign to have a nice sub-forum for them, and do not bedgrudge their membership; whereas the addict wants all Trump-lovers to GTFO... an ironical example of the crpgaddict being less tolerant than us "lunatics". :D

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I find it strange that a grown man who has a working knowledge of internet and all the things that float around on it could be offended about something on the 'dex.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
How anyone could think Rance is nothing but a devout feminist is beyond me.

But truth to be told I haven't really heard anyone praising the pre-IV games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom