Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Yes city looks great, and cool to have these random events happen.

Also notice the ´embark´ indicator on the map, wonder when they are going to reveal the player ship.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So the $3.25M stretch goal is just unfinished companions?
Why not just one extra companion? Game's already being delayed anyway.
This reminds me to be careful what I wish for (a dwarf companion).

Radora: Meh.
Bonteru: Dwarf, fuck yeah.
Ydwin: Meh.
Rekke: I am intrigued.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Welp, couldn't be any more disappointed with that big city. They say they're stepping away from European architecture and culture, and then give us a city that has architecture resembling starving african tribes.
I was expecting something a little bit more high-fantasy with an asian twist. Oh well.

Can always count on you for relentlessly negative posts in this thread!

Sizzle

Arcane
Soooooooo... the sidekicks are like companions, only they won't disagree with you, and they won't have quests.

This seems like the worst of both worlds - no extra character content that makes companions worthwhile, and no total character optimization that makes hired adventurers interesting for people who want complete control.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm really excited about sidekicks. The way it seems to me from the presentation, sidekicks will be for old time players and companions for the weebos. :lol:

Much to my surprise, Neketaka looks like a big part of everything I ever wanted from a PoE city - the remaining part I don't yet know. I'm especially impressed by how they say they have incorporated random encounters. :incline:

On the whole, I am meeting this update with nosies of approval.

Sidekicks = companions they'll have an intern write?
I hope they are just more barebones companions without the personal drama, like what we had in BGI.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

I am very concerned after watching the video because the one thing I have yet to see in any of the videos showcasing Deadfire are cloud shadows. Okay so I am not the best in art but I made this screenshot of the city and you will notice on the left side of the screen all the raindrops falling but then you look to the right of the city and see all kinds of sun shadows from buildings and people. They said in a previous video they had clouds that cast shadows.

AXhXTXE.jpg

So if it is raining why are there character and building shadows like the sun is out and why is the wood so light and not dark because it is raining? Are people in the world not supposed to react to time of day and weather because only one of those people on the bridge are walking in the video the rest are standing around getting wet. Not one umbrella either or hood. Not one part of the city did I see any cloud shadows moving across the ground. :mad:

Another part of the video near the end shows the city at night but I counted seven people standing around, two of them look like children! :o

It really looks nice though but I hope these glaring issues are addressed because it adds so much more to the world when people in it react to what is happening around them. Well I think so anyway.

Thanks,
Randal

aeonsim

Augur
So the BG1 groupies should be happy the sidekicks seems similar to the style of some of the BG1 companions, do a quest and they'll join you and that's about it. I guess they may add a few comments and lines in for them if they have time.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So the BG1 groupies should be happy the sidekicks seems similar to the style of some of the BG1 companions, do a quest and they'll join you and that's about it. I guess they may add a few comments and lines in for them if they have time.

Since they don't take party slots (i.e. you can still have 4 companions with you to make your party of 5), they feel like they can be short-term accompaniment (maybe for a specific few quests or part of the story) which isn't a terrible idea, imo. Because there's no deeper companion relationship stuff for them, I fully expect them to move on / depart as necessary.

Mazisky

Magister
I guess they showed only 2 districts on that video, the ones you see on the map\travel. I hope there is some district with a classic look.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the BG1 style companions - all the character, zero the bullshit. Give them a few lines here and there, a unique soundset and you are done. The evil companions in BG1 were actually quite overpowered, with Edwin being a better mage than even the PC, I doubt they'll go that route, though it was a very interesting trade-off.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
May not be a big deal for you, but I feel very optimistic about them. I prefer to use my imagination instead of having companions constantly informing me about their feelings and outlook of the world. Actually, I'll bet you that before long the Obsidian forums crowd will start whining "why no deeper interactions with sidekicks". I'll be waiting for that moment so I can take the part of the "grognard minority".

Randal -- it says "Alpha footage" on the video.

Starwars

Arcane
The Neketaka video gave me a major boner. Love that they're incorporating random encounters into it, especially since they involve the scripted interaction stuff as well. Awesome.

The new stretch goal feels a bit strange.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The Neketaka video gave me a major boner. Love that they're incorporating random encounters into it, especially since they involve the scripted interaction stuff as well. Awesome.

The new stretch goal feels a bit strange.
"Holy shit, I didn't think we would make it this far. What are we going to do for stretch goals?"
"Release the interns!"

(Yes, I realize they probably had an expectation of reaching above 3.0M with Fig funds, and that these side-kicks do fit some BG vibes)

Turjan

Arcane
If I understood it correctly, you basically do quests with them first before you hire them eventually. No banter is a bit lame though, but I hope they will have at least a few unique lines.

I don't particularly like that city though. I find these "wooden walkway"-style cities lame. You can make vertical cities look much more interesting. Favela in the skies. Maybe, there's a Jesus Eothas statue at the top of the mountain.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I feel like only I and TheSentinel aren't hyped up for this thing. What the updates have been showing us is mostly inconsequential trivialities, I don't think I need to remind people that PoE1 looked good on Kickstarter as well.

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
After seeing Torment get a console release I'm curious, will Pillars of Eternity 2 ever come to consoles?
Feargus
developer
We are considering it, but nothing solid to talk about yet.
Feb 17, 2017 | 02:36 PM
:flamesaw:
And when I wrote that spells per battle and many other things they are changing are for making the game more suitable for consoles (which I called Deadfire Coast Legends) I got "retarded" ratings.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If I understood it correctly, you basically do quests with them first before you hire them eventually. No banter is a bit lame though, but I hope they will have at least a few unique lines.

I don't particularly like that city though. I find these "wooden walkway"-style cities lame. You can make vertical cities look much more interesting. Favela in the skies. Maybe, there's a Jesus Eothas statue at the top of the mountain.

They've only shown 2 districts. The Gullet seems to be the "tree house favela". The 1st district they've shown, Queen's Berth, looks very different.

Magnificate

Novice
OK, can we exchange four of these sidekicks for one Rekke companion?

I'm not sure what purpose would those sidekicks serve. Are they Adventurer's with unique voices and some dialogue? Why not make them proper servants, like butlers, bodyguards or ninja-maids?

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F53a6e84ff1f265c6930aebe1731f3287cd9c5605%2Foriginal.png%3F1487360182

Another extension of the first island. They really don't want another Endless Paths situation, understandably so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom