Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Location-specific combat environments unfortunately did not make it into the game.

:negative:
but there are terrain specific maps. maps reflect terrain is what i'm trying to say. i think there's 4 classes: savannah, hills, forests and swamps. and their features are randomly generated. the combat and worldmap gameplay are good enough that you don't really feel the lack of maps, unless you stick to the same terrain for too long.
You're not wrong, but the complaint is about goblin cities that are just hill maps, "wipe out this peasant village" quests that happen in swamps, and vampire crypts that are just plains rather than dungeons. I've definitely sunk more than 100hrs into the game without being bored by the maps, but a little more variety that that was teased and would help take this game to the next level.

...Even more next level would be a Darklands remake with BB combat, Overhype & rapsdjff. Take note. I'd give you money right this minute for a vague promise.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
There are 11 different terrain sets for combat currently: Plains, forest, boreal forest, autumn forest, snowy forest, swamp, hills, mountains, steppe, tundra, snow.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Location-specific combat environments unfortunately did not make it into the game.

but there are terrain specific maps. maps reflect terrain is what i'm trying to say. i think there's 4 classes: savannah, hills, forests and swamps. and their features are randomly generated. the combat and worldmap gameplay are good enough that you don't really feel the lack of maps, unless you stick to the same terrain for too long.
You're not wrong, but the complaint is about goblin cities that are just hill maps, "wipe out this peasant village" quests that happen in swamps, and vampire crypts that are just plains rather than dungeons. I've definitely sunk more than 100hrs into the game without being bored by the maps, but a little more variety that that was teased and would help take this game to the next level.

...Even more next level would be a Darklands remake with BB combat, Overhype & rapsdjff. Take note. I'd give you money right this minute for a vague promise.
Yeah, I meant exactly this.

What I understood is that (for the moment) there will be no fights inside a castle walls, or with palisades, or around windmills/whatever, did I get that right?

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Yeah, I meant exactly this.

What I understood is that (for the moment) there will be no fights inside a castle walls, or with palisades, or around windmills/whatever, did I get that right?
Yes, you got that right.

So basically there will be no "structures" such as walls, bridges, buildings, inside of caves and buildings and stuff like that that could be used to create chokepoints or something.

Bit sad, but the game is great anyway. And maybe with post release DLC or expansion something of that nature may come.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Are the encounter maps procedurally generated? I know the world map is, I guess the encounter ones too, but...
I strongly believe that they are. I loaded an autosave before a battle and got a different map each time. Same biome, because that is related to place on the map the fight take place. So it will always be "Hills" or "Forest" but a different layout of battle map.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
final_blog_header-3.jpg

Final Update Hits Beta Next Week
Time is about ready for some fresh eyes to take a look at the upcoming final update of Battle Brothers. During the course of next week, the update will hit the beta branch. Do understand that it’ll be in beta for a reason – there’s going to be bugs and balancing issues. We’ll post instructions on how to opt into the beta next week. If you prefer to wait instead until the game is finished, you can just keep on playing and don’t have to worry about any of this.

Until then, here’s the fourth episode of our Let’s Play with a preview of the upcoming update. What new things can you spot this time?

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Are the encounter maps procedurally generated? I know the world map is, I guess the encounter ones too, but...
Yes, they are.

Make sure you raise the price just prior to release date announcement rapsdjff Any thoughts on the final price?
We've decided on 27.99€ / 29,99$ - seems to be an established price point for premium indie titles, like Age of Decadence or Rimworld.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I think I was similarly excited only for XCOM:EU in the recent years (even if it turned out to be different than what was expected)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For once in my life I'm keeping the hype train in check. Maybe the wrong game to start doing that...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
final_blog_header-3.jpg

Final Update Hits Beta Next Week
Time is about ready for some fresh eyes to take a look at the upcoming final update of Battle Brothers. During the course of next week, the update will hit the beta branch. Do understand that it’ll be in beta for a reason – there’s going to be bugs and balancing issues. We’ll post instructions on how to opt into the beta next week. If you prefer to wait instead until the game is finished, you can just keep on playing and don’t have to worry about any of this.

Until then, here’s the fourth episode of our Let’s Play with a preview of the upcoming update. What new things can you spot this time?

Can't wait!

Sawyer, Bobby Null,and myself have been playing this a ton. I wish I could get into the beta right now.

You guys have done stellar work with this.

torpid

Liturgist
With the limited resources they had, the developers made a game knowing what the basic features were going to be, and they got those fundamentals right;

then, when they got the extra moneyz from early access, they knew the features they wanted to add or expand on, and so they set up a roadmap and kept the players informed on a regular basis;

and then, they actually delivered all these additions in a timely fashion. In this day and age, that's... amazing!!

congratulations

vonAchdorf

Arcane
With the limited resources they had, the developers made a game knowing what the basic features were going to be, and they got those fundamentals right;

then, when they got the extra moneyz from early access, they knew the features they wanted to add or expand on, and so they set up a roadmap and kept the players informed on a regular basis;

and then, they actually delivered all these additions in a timely fashion. In this day and age, that's... amazing!!

congratulations

They really had professional project management from the get go and a realistic outlook on what they can achieve. Like they were adamant about the busts (and IMO made them into something iconic for the game), but improved graphics for the UI, maps and even the large paintings (which were already pretty good from the beginning).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom