Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For Honor

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't even begin to comprehend what is your thought process nor do I care. Take care not to fuck up your fingers, tipping your fedora so hard could be dangerous.

:patriot:

Gerrard

Arcane
Come back in a month once people realize how broken the combat is when you actually know what you're doing.

I've been watching some high tier player and tbh it doesn't feel broken. There are no degenerate strategies. You could've been just stomping new players.
Imagine a fighting game where every move and throw was so slow that it was possible to block/counter all of them on reaction and constant blocking had no downside to it (for fuck's sake, attacking costs stamina but blocking doesn't).
The only way to get damage in against an equally skilled opponent is hope your enemy does a heavy attack, parry it, then do a grab as they will still be recovering from parry and unable to break the grab, and then attack with a fast heavy (and apparently not all characters have fast enough attacks to even do this), unless you can push them into a wall for extra stagger. If they feint that heavy and you parried and couldn't cancel the parry fast enough then you are getting hit. The whole "high level play" is literally guessing a coin toss. It makes SF4 Ryu mirror look exciting.
Every "high tier player" knows this already, when you are attacking you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

The best thing about this game was the Mortal Kombat reference in one of the stages.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Well, the "blocking doesn't cost stamina" goes both ways, and I haven't seen two players circling around for 20 minutes waiting for the other one to attack. If you try to compare for Honor with a high level fighting game like SFIV of course it looks dull or EZ, this game appeals to a much lower skilled player, although I bleieve it's the kind of game that takes little effort to know but high to master. Maybe it's because I'm bad, but I find challenging trying to break the grabs and found out that playing with KB&M instead of a controller suits me more, guess it takes less time to change guard/attack zones with the mouse (although I barely touch a controller these days, this game seemed a controller one for me).

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
KB&M here as well, better feeling and control overall I felt.

Having a grand time so far overall though I stopped duelling as it was almost non stop Orochis and I just cannot handle them as Conqueror.
I swear though, when I fuck up, this game makes me rage like never before and I'm really not a competitive person! I had to bring out my savate gloves near my desk so I don't break my hands, or the wall. Watching couple videos and streams, I'm apparently not alone, even amongst very chilllax dudes. Good fun :)

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
KB&M here as well, better feeling and control overall I felt.

Having a grand time so far overall though I stopped duelling as it was almost non stop Orochis and I just cannot handle them as Conqueror.
I swear though, when I fuck up, this game makes me rage like never before and I'm really not a competitive person! I had to bring out my savate gloves near my desk so I don't break my hands, or the wall. Watching couple videos and streams, I'm apparently not alone, even amongst very chilllax dudes. Good fun :)
Don't get into DOTA2, then ;)

sovijus

Educated
Now why would you try to make a historical analysis when your history knowledge is limited to what you have seen in anime or blockbuster movies? Why would you even think that For Honor is anything but fantasy?
It's so hilariously awful.

Some people from historical martial arts community responded.

Quite informative and interesting if you are into that kind of stuff.

tormund

Arcane
Autists gonna autist, and yet that video from the based Game Analysts still have far more views and upvotes than they can even ream of. :kfc:

Typical fucking Ubisoft, shooting them own foot.
Same folks were doomsaying fro RS Siege and yet it eventually became most popular game in tis franchise, and is adored even here on the Kodex.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Those parries that give you access to speficic moves (some of them unblockable) are sick. Also, don't quite understand that berserker is labeled as a "hard character". A little more than 12 hours into the game and not finding so difficult, to be honest.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Autists gonna autist, and yet that video from the based Game Analysts still have far more views and upvotes than they can even ream of. :kfc:

Typical fucking Ubisoft, shooting them own foot.
Same folks were doomsaying fro RS Siege and yet it eventually became most popular game in tis franchise, and is adored even here on the Kodex.
People were talking shit about Siege's season pass and microtransactions as well as they're doing now about For Honor's, but by the looks of it, they're doing pretty well, and they're COMPLETELY OPTIONAL.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Come back in a month once people realize how broken the combat is when you actually know what you're doing.

I've been watching some high tier player and tbh it doesn't feel broken. There are no degenerate strategies. You could've been just stomping new players.
Imagine a fighting game where every move and throw was so slow that it was possible to block/counter all of them on reaction and constant blocking had no downside to it (for fuck's sake, attacking costs stamina but blocking doesn't).
The only way to get damage in against an equally skilled opponent is hope your enemy does a heavy attack, parry it, then do a grab as they will still be recovering from parry and unable to break the grab, and then attack with a fast heavy (and apparently not all characters have fast enough attacks to even do this), unless you can push them into a wall for extra stagger. If they feint that heavy and you parried and couldn't cancel the parry fast enough then you are getting hit. The whole "high level play" is literally guessing a coin toss. It makes SF4 Ryu mirror look exciting.
Every "high tier player" knows this already, when you are attacking you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

The best thing about this game was the Mortal Kombat reference in one of the stages.
In such a case, wouldn't it be preferable to bait the opponent into attacking somehow? I haven't played the game so I don't know if that's even possible

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
You can faint attacks, do guard blocks, use attacks outside guard mode (the opponent doesn't know which wayt the attack comes from) and special feats outside guard mode (mostly unblockable pushes).
Btw, I had no idea, but it seems yyou can play the online modes "offline", meaning without PvP, PvE with other players against bots or you completely alone.

Gerrard

Arcane
In such a case, wouldn't it be preferable to bait the opponent into attacking somehow? I haven't played the game so I don't know if that's even possible
That's the point of feints, if you feint and your opponent tries to parry that (and doesn't react fast enough to the feint) he will do an attack instead. It still promotes never actually attacking though.

Also they apparently made breaking throws harder but are now going to revert that? I don't even.

The game's network model seems to be a part of the issue as well.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
The game is indeed too defensive. The Warden is the only character with a good enough offense right now. They're already making the Valkyrie, Conqueror and Berserker more offensive friendly, so it could be improved over patches.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
That's the point of feints, if you feint and your opponent tries to parry that (and doesn't react fast enough to the feint) he will do an attack instead. It still promotes never actually attacking though.

Also they apparently made breaking throws harder but are now going to revert that? I don't even.

The game's network model seems to be a part of the issue as well.

You can feint your parry strong attacks.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I guess like Siege I'll just wait nine months before they iron out most of the issues anyways

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Those parries that give you access to speficic moves (some of them unblockable) are sick. Also, don't quite understand that berserker is labeled as a "hard character". A little more than 12 hours into the game and not finding so difficult, to be honest.

Zerk doesn't have much guaranteed value outside of that one strong side off grab. Everything else is improvised. It is a character that require a lot more risk-taking.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron

Zerk doesn't have much guaranteed value outside of that one strong side off grab. Everything else is improvised. It is a character that require a lot more risk-taking.

Yes I did, just barely, though. I've beaten warlords with berserker, too. Sorry, I don't get your point.

If you're good at counter the gaurd breaks (you have to be very close to your opponent), berserker it's a hell of a fighter, imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom