Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Rhenmyr stows the decanter in his pack. "Perhaps the green man from the vision was among those who took Oona and both she and our prize await down that tunnel. Let's proceed cautiously."

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"Hopefully we'll find out soon enough. I don't find the skulls to be very welcoming."

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric grits his teeth, lowers his head and stalks down the tunnel with his maul held at the ready. The passage runs straight ahead for about fifty feet, before terminating in a 'T'. The passage to the left is collapsed with rubble about twenty feet farther along, while the right-hand tunnel runs for ten feet and curves to the left making a shallow 90 degree turn. The candles that illuminate the bottom of the stairs and the apse end and the character of the tunnel changes from a rounded chute, with baroque, fluted carvings to an austere rough-cut tunnel, like a lava tube that's been widened at parts without any particular skill. Borric holds a torch aloft to light the way and after walking for a couple of hundred feet you come to a point where the tunnel drops precipitously like a chute to an unknown depth. The stone here is slick with moisture and mold.

nikolokolus

Arcane
The trail of blood stops at the top of the "chute." The blood drops are several yards apart, leading you to believe that the whoever is wounded isn't critically so.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive

nikolokolus

Arcane
"Seems we need a safe way down. I'll check the blocked passage while you ponder"
Search(47): [1d100] = 34
Rhenmyr walks into the collapsed tunnel and starts to look around as pulls aside some of the more manageble stones and small boulders. After a few minutes of pulling and tossing, he surmises that the roof is completely caved in. You have no idea how deep the cave-in might be, but you are certain it would take days, to move the rubble in front of you by hand.

Mab crosses his arms and tries to thought-experiment the problem.
[1d100] vs Insight (20) = 70
Aaaaaand fails. With a sigh, he slumps his shoulders, and goes to search the area around the chute
[1d100] vs Search (25) = 2
Mab proceeds to notice anything and everything about the chute.
Insight is a skill used to read people's body language and manners of speaking to divine their motives -- detecting subterfuge or misdirection. If you are trying to sort out how to navigate the chute, all you really have to do is state that your character is looking around (searching) or if you really get stumped I might ask for an Idea Roll (INT x5)), but anyway, you had a special success on a "Search" roll, so that's a good thing)
Mab looks around the mouth of the chute and spots a bit of old frayed rope jutting out from a narrow crack in the side of a wall. Grasping the tendrils of old hemp it and wiggling it around, he "walks" it up the crack until it pops out. Somebody a very long time ago (judging from its rotted condition) had tied a large knot into one end of a cord and slotted it into the crack to anchor it. The rest of the rope is nowhere to be seen.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I have a shovel and a crowbar, should we really need to clear the rubble. As for the pit-"
Borric tosses a loose rock into the pit, trying to see how long it takes for it to land.

L'ennui

Magister
Urash leans on his staff, looking down the chute and waiting for the rock to hit the bottom.

"Have we much rope left, in any case? I've about 50 feet in my pack."

nikolokolus

Arcane
The chute falls away into the darkness at about fifty or sixty degrees.

Borric's stone clatters out of sight, making a "rolling" sound for about a half of a second or so, followed by several seconds of silence, and then a faint *tok* echoes up the tunnel.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Sadly, Helly let me know that he's too busy to really keep up with the game, so for Ker who is about to die, we salute you!
Just to make sure I know what you're talking about Grimgravy what "sound" are you referring to? I may have done a bad job of describing the action above ... which is basically the sound of a rock sliding down a chute, falling into an empty space and finally striking a hard surface a long ways down.
Ker steps a little too closely to the mouth of the mold-slick chute, loses his footing, falls and pitches headlong into the darkness screaming. After several long seconds, a faint shaken Ker shouts up the slide, "I'm OK." A minute later a faint indirect glow of light diffusely illuminates the end of the 40 foot long tube where you can just make out Ker's feet standing on a flagstone floor.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Sadly, Helly let me know that he's too busy to really keep up with the game, so for Ker who is about to die, we salute you!
Just to make sure I know what you're talking about Grimgravy what "sound" are you referring to? I may have done a bad job of describing the action above ... which is basically the sound of a rock sliding down a chute, falling into an empty space and finally striking a hard surface a long ways down.
Ker steps a little too closely to the mouth of the mold-slick chute, loses his footing, falls and pitches headlong into the darkness screaming. After several long seconds, a faint shaken Ker shouts up the slide, "I'm OK." A minute later a faint indirect glow of light diffusely illuminates the end of the 40 foot long tube where you can just make out Ker's feet standing on a flagstone floor.

I was referring to the 'tock.' You mentioned it for my listen check and when Borric dropped the rock. So I assumed I heard something going down the chute.

What will we do without our fire bearer? I salute you!

Wayward Son

Mab reaches out in vain and says in a hoarse voice, "Ker! How could he go and fall like that?" Mab looks away from the chute.
Fare thee well my comrades :salute:
Goodbye and good luck my fellow druid.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
"Hold on Ker! Do you think we can replace that broken rope you found, Mab?"

Wayward Son

Mab roots around in his pack and pulls out a length of silk rope "Might we be able to use this to replace it?"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ker replies in a loud whisper, "it's very strange. I'm on a triangular ledge about thirty feet wide at its apex. The cavern and chasm beyond exceeds my means to aver. I've illuminated the ledge and it appears there is another wedge shaped ledge about twenty to thirty feet below to the left."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom