Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For Honor

Gerrard

Arcane
The design is like a fighting game but one with an unusually small moveset.
It's like a fighting game if you gave every character a free and incredibly easy to use counter/parry.

So far I'm finding it harder to fight the controls and clunky as fuck "combo system" than the enemies.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Played only Conqueror during open beta and even though I'm really loving it, there are issues, clearly.

- I play with keyboard and mouse, no problem here and still keeping a pretty ok ratio, especially for conqueror.
- Connection seem like key at higher level of play. Half a nanosecond latency lag and that good dodger is outta my combo before I can even blink while if it's normal, I hit just fine. Might be less of a factor on mobile classes but as Conqueror, you cannot move/dodge for shit so that just kills you. Who's hosting and WHERE he's hosting from seem INSANELY important at higher level of play...That sucks but I guess that's to be expected. Premade group on a LAN will fuck you up no question asked..and that's silly...
- Auto-turning auto aim moves are retarded but they look like they're here to stay. Makes the game a bit cheese sometimes.
- There is no filter between premade play and normal random play. If they don't have some kind of "ranked" and split it from the "peons", it's gonna be shit unless you're in a premade or don't mind getting rolled non stop 4vs1 everywhere in dominion/elimination.
- All modes are VERY different, which is nice. Dominion is just big rumble, Elimination is probably the most fun for premades and Duels/Brawls are just for gentlemen.
- No crash whatsoever but couple situations where I got stuck in menus/errors.
- Run extra smooth even streaming and shit for a middle rate rig. Animations and graphics are just fucking gorgeous and moves are satisfying.
- Matchmaking is shit. Not being able to choose/filter regions/language is lame as I rather wait 5 mins than duel some fuck from Australia or something.
- UPlay is still resembling something designed by a complete retard.
- You need Uplay for everything which means they might just decide to kill it anytime, despite p2p system.

Overall..
It's really good and skill ceiling is quite high if you're into that. For mindless fun, Dominion's good enough.
It's also fucking expensive...

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The game is still a 10/10 but they really need to fix some stuff after the beta...

https://clips.twitch.tv/strippin/GiftedMartenKippa

EDIT:

Also fuck Orochis and their anime bullshit dashes, they get to control the distances between themselves and the opponent much too easily.

847169841228430465.jpg

Stupid weebs the lot of them.

i gave this a spin.
fun, nothing groundbreaking but it could keep me interested a week or two. if only it worked. "network error". fuck you.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Ok I played it a few more hours and unistalled it so here are my impressions

- As I said before it looks great and runs great
- While the game runs smoothly when I started playing online instead with the AI I had some connection problems,I looked it up and it seems this one uses p2p instead of dedicated servers,fuck you Ubisoft this is a fully priced game and you want to save a few bucks by not using servers?Not to mention that the main matchmaking servers had some problems too and matcchmaking was just crap btw
- The gameplay was good for the few hours I played,don't know if it will become repetitive after 20-30 hours or so.
- While the gameplay was good,they need to fix some balance issues.I tried to play this as Deus Vult Simulator 2017 but most of the time got my ass handed to me by Samurai,I think the Orochi are the most op so far
- The whole throw the other guy of the cliff instakill is just cheesy since it is extremely hard to counter a guard break attack

In the end not worth 60 imho will wait until it's 75% off and if there are still people playing online by then and they have fixed some issues

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
First off props to Ubisoft for not having Micro-transactions and having an open beta before launch as all pure multiplayer games probably should.

Well the beta is over and I still like the game (My 10/10 comments are a bit cheeky). It really doesn't feel all that corporate and looking through the forums it is clear the devs are very passionate. So this isn't another Asscreed but rather something someone REALLY wanted to make. Which is very nice.

- It is pure 100% fantasy (Anything with vikings wearing horn helmets means you are in fantasy land)
- The best 3rd person "realistic" melee animations. Bar none. 1000s upon 1000s of hours were probably spent on each to make them feel satisfying.
- Classes feel very very very different. Even between Orochi/Peacemaker/Berseker who must all time their block rather than hold it feel very different.
- Looks and runs great.
- p2p connections...Ubi why do you do this, for this point alone I can't really give it 10/10 if I was honest.
- Between dodging, parrying, blocking and counter-guard it really feels like you always have options.
- Weebs must be eradicated. I saw like 4 people with the pokemon Emblem X.X who were playing orochi.
- Certain things are imbalanced but they were even more imbalanced in the closed beta so they are fixing stuff. Peacemaker's grab and stab attack does like 50% HP to other squishies and it is stupidly easy to do. Orochi are too mobile. Spam revival is cancer and so on..

EDIT: Also the basic state of the community right now

6be9f2b7c07843978cf151b4a29de3ea

Seriously fuck weebs

Last edited:

cannondwarf

Scholar
I want parries and guardbreaks to be nerfed, theyre way too good for what they offer right now. Nobushi and Peacemaker need to lose bleed and gain a tiny amount of damage on normals and they'd be fine. Warden probably needs some more frames on the zone attack and top light counter.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
flashing indicators that show you the direction and parry timing in already slow ass shit attacks

You can turn all UI off. I only did it for some duels and practice but it's pretty cool feeling. If they try to go competitive at some point, would be nice to have options to force no UI on participants.
Your "slow ass shit attacks" comment however proves you never even tried it so whatever.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks really good. Apparently, the combat is pretty accurate for a video game.

How the fuck? Looks completely unrealistic. Spinning dudes, using shields as ornaments only and not for actual defense, waiting for an enemy to kill you while he makes pirouette, instead of just stabbing him, and other bunch of nonsense things. It's as realistic as Counter-Strike is.

Looked at the gameplay too, looks bland and arcade, not realistic in one bit.

Black_Willow

Arcane

How the fuck? Looks completely unrealistic. Spinning dudes, using shields as ornaments only and not for actual defense, waiting for an enemy to kill you while he makes pirouette, instead of just stabbing him, and other bunch of nonsense things. It's as realistic as Counter-Strike is.

As if you ever had an actual metal sword in your hand, boy.

Gerrard

Arcane
flashing indicators that show you the direction and parry timing in already slow ass shit attacks

You can turn all UI off. I only did it for some duels and practice but it's pretty cool feeling. If they try to go competitive at some point, would be nice to have options to force no UI on participants.
>b-b-but you can just turn the quest compass off!
It doesn't fucking matter if you can turn the UI off you dumb motherfucker the game isn't made with not having those indicators in mind.

Your "slow ass shit attacks" comment however proves you never even tried it so whatever
Yep, thanks for confirming you're retarded.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Played some of the beta. First thing that came to mind was Jedi Knight light Sabre duel mode, with more varied melee remeniscent a bit of M&B 3rd person mode or Dark Messiah with the environmental interaction. Flesh it out with focused modes and tag team and we have a winner. It has the potential to produce battlefield wtf moments which is a bonus. I think I will buy this one for the MP experience alone.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
>b-b-but you can just turn the quest compass off!
It doesn't fucking matter if you can turn the UI off you dumb motherfucker the game isn't made with not having those indicators in mind.

Irrelevant comparison.
Quest compasses are 100% needed because quests descriptions have almost disappeared, most objectives are fedex, kill x or find y and most games with them don't allow any other mechanic to find or investigate targets of said quests. For example, there is NO WAY to find that one vial with poison in Skyrim without it.
This game is perfectly playable without any battle UI indicators. All moves can be seen, identified and reacted to just fine apart from some out of camera 1vsX. I'll probably be playing without any UI for single player but of course, in multiplayer, unless it's forced on everyone, it's added difficulty for no real purpose but personal preference, hence my comment on it being forced for some modes.

Shadow of Mordor game is a good example of the difference.
The quest/task indicators were mandatory because the objectives were just abstract indicators but turning all combat UI made the entire combat system pure epic because you could still perfectly react to what was happening.

Anyway, maybe you're some superduper dude with reaction times up to some weird level with superduper PC and superduper non stop perfect connection to everyone everywhere, but for most people with varied computers, connections, ages and game experience, shit is plenty fast enough. Heck, by the end I had high prestige and was mostly paired with similar prestige players (which means time, not skill, but still) and the only real limitation/difference was tiny latency issues on one side or the other, not skill or how fast moves were. Of course, because of it, fast classes were favored but it's not the point.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Your "slow ass shit attacks" comment however proves you never even tried it so whatever.
Mount and Blade is kinda like that. You can play with the directional arrow prompts but I turned them off real quick. Can't remember if servers forced UIs though, I only played single player + single player mods.

Fairfax

Arcane
The UI is fine. The indicator isn't even neccesary. Although it does help less skilled players, it can be used to your advantage in many ways:
  • Many attacks have misleading animations and timing.
  • Feints.
  • At least 2 attacks stun the opponent and temporarily remove the indicators.
  • Some moves have specific cancels into different ones.
  • Attacks that hit the opposite side of the characters movement.
All of that can be used to punish players who rely too much on indicators and try to block/parry too often.

The core gameplay is RPS with a strong focus on positioning and reaction time, but also with unique variables to each characters and environmental interaction. The game does have some silly mechanics and cheap moves, but they could be mitigated (in the beta, at least). In the 1v1 and 2v2, Nobushi/Peacemaker aren't that effective, and in Deathmatch/Dominion you can use equipment to reduce debuff effects and/or make yourself more powerful instead.

I had a lot of fun with it, and might pick it up if I can find it for a good price. My main issues with the game are how easy it is to just run from fights and how characters are revived with 100% health, which turns the 4v4 modes into a shitfest. Oh, and fucking P2P.

Gerrard

Arcane

Hello dumbfucks.

Irrelevant comparison.
Quest compasses are 100% needed because quests descriptions have almost disappeared, most objectives are fedex, kill x or find y and most games with them don't allow any other mechanic to find or investigate targets of said quests. For example, there is NO WAY to find that one vial with poison in Skyrim without it.
This game is perfectly playable without any battle UI indicators. All moves can be seen, identified and reacted to just fine apart from some out of camera 1vsX. I'll probably be playing without any UI for single player but of course, in multiplayer, unless it's forced on everyone, it's added difficulty for no real purpose but personal preference, hence my comment on it being forced for some modes
You are irrelevant. You need the fucking indicators to parry because you have to parry in the indicated time and not based on the animation.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Cheats/Hacks are everywhere but that video didn't really demonstrate anything special even if true. I've had fights like this quite often and the players facing the guy are using pretty obvious moves. Once you get the hang of it, you can perfect kill a lot of people if you don't fuck up, have latency, lag and whatnot.
Hopefully it's fake, or it'll be tracked and banned. If not, it'll either become so rare that you don't need to worry about it, or so prevalent that everyone stops playing non pre-arranged games anyway.

[..]you have to parry in the indicated time and not based on the animation.
Yes, yes, of course, because "indicated time" and "animation" are totally different things...

Oo

Fairfax

Arcane
You are irrelevant. You need the fucking indicators to parry because you have to parry in the indicated time and not based on the animation.
You need the indicators to parry? You've got some balls calling other people "dumbfucks". :lol::lol::lol:

People have been parrying in fighting games for more than 20 years with nothing but reactions. For Honor has a generous parry window, so the indicator is far from necessary.

In short: git gud or shut up, you're making a fool of yourself.

Gerrard

Arcane
Cheats/Hacks are everywhere but that video didn't really demonstrate anything special even if true. I've had fights like this quite often and the players facing the guy are using pretty obvious moves. Once you get the hang of it, you can perfect kill a lot of people if you don't fuck up, have latency, lag and whatnot.
Hopefully it's fake, or it'll be tracked and banned. If not, it'll either become so rare that you don't need to worry about it, or so prevalent that everyone stops playing non pre-arranged games anyway.

Yes, yes, of course, because "indicated time" and "animation" are totally different things...

Oo
They are different, because the timing is arbitrary. If you disable them you can't do it without having every timing memorized, as opposed to using logical judgement of when the attack would hit.

I don't know what special things you would want to see. I already said this, the attacks are so slow everything can be reacted to assuming there's no lag affecting you so bots will be piss easy to make. Fucking Autohotkey alone is enough.

You need the indicators to parry? You've got some balls calling other people "dumbfucks". :lol::lol::lol:

People have been parrying in fighting games for more than 20 years with nothing but reactions. For Honor has a generous parry window, so the indicator is far from necessary.

In short: git gud or shut up, you're making a fool of yourself.
Holy fuck you are retarded. Fighting games parries don't have some arbitrary parry window in the middle of animation, they are based on when the move would hit your character

:M

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Fighting game? like Street fighter and shit? Might be why there are vastly different opinions on this game.

In no way shape or form do I take For Honor as a fighting game like Street Fighter/Tekken and whatnot. To me it's a more action semi casual mount and blade multiplayer without cool single player but awesome graphics, animations, big budget fluff and various game modes. If you're coming into this with these fighting games in mind then yea, you'll be sorely disappointed and to me you're talking crazy.
If I were to treat this as some kind of Street Fighter competitive game, then yea I'd agree with you. It's not though, it's just an action game with lots of auto aims, lots of auto moves, crazy powerful item drops, funky game modes, retarded useless broken faction system and whatnot...

...and as just that, it's pretty good and tons of fun. :)

Mustawd

I think it looks good. I dunno about the realistic piece, but I don't remember a ton of games out there that have realistic combat. So "pretty realistic" might be on a relative scale.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I think it looks good. I dunno about the realistic piece, but I don't remember a ton of games out there that have realistic combat. So "pretty realistic" might be on a relative scale.

Even M&B is way more realistic than this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom