Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Undungeon - pixel art sci-fi action-RPG

Vapid

Learned
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...geon-pixelart-action-rpg-with-roguelike-eleme
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840553603

https://undungeon.com

https://af.gog.com/game/undungeon?as=1649904300

I've been lurking the dex forum for some time now, but was too lazy to create an account. I've found an interesting kickstarter campaign, but no word about it here so... Now I've got an account and I'm shilling for a kickstarter hipster rpg. Jesus.

The game's called Undungeon (what's with all the 'dungeon' games?) and it's (apparently) a pixelart aRPG. The setting seems cool enough. At least it's not another wannabe tolkien knock-off.

Here's the link to the kickstarter page:

Someone more competent post news or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heretic

Cipher
I won't back it (nothing anymore, really), but I hope others will.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
e802609b1a96bb22f206190196a4c9fc_original.jpg

0ef90eae89f51a2bb1f6fb538e48a8db_original.jpg

7877b982b913c6433f344e3210e842fb_original.jpg

3ebf9735b6269672d268a83086809b5b_original.jpg

e45de67149ef7b3b69cffef0e5331cfa_original.jpg

7af59858f6af49796081720c117b4038_original.jpg

Despite all the glaring red flag and the fact that it is a KICKSTARTER game it has bitching character Design.

Drowed

Arcane
It doesn't look like an RPG, but it certainly sounds like an interesting action game with a visual style that pleases me. Won't back it (conversion to dollars is a bitch) but I will buy it when released.

Last edited:
Late but not lost. Project status for August 2018

Hi everyone! Ri Ra - the game designer - is here and I’ll try to shed light on what’s going on with Undungeon during the last six months of silence.

ede5177aae020763dd3aa1aca4b79ac6_original.gif

The most important thing is that the development during this period was continued without any interruption. We’ve decided to be silent while working on the demo - it was necessary to pay all our attention and efforts to the project to show the real gameplay instead of short videos and gif images. It seems that you’ve been also waiting for the same results. Unfortunately, there were several occasions that prolonged the silence.

When the first demo version was finished (about 3 months ago), we were completely dissatisfied with the quality of certain systems, such as combat or AI ones. Thus, we’ve decided to delay the release of the demo and polish the available version. However, it wasn’t a simple task. After a month of attempts to fix the behavior of units, our only programmer left the team.

We’ve rapidly hired two new members, but it is obvious that the quit of the only person responsible for the game code pushed us back to the situations when the team was forced to explore the game code from the very beginning.

aec9c1291ea86fbb64c40aa9fc27ff64_original.gif

Currently, everything is under control, but we’ve understood that the existing problems cannot be solved just by fixes and improvements. They require a complete rework. Since it is a time-consuming process, we cannot stay silent anymore. The situation around the project led us to the decision to release two demo versions of the game instead of the promised one.

The first demo is dubbed PAX Demo since it will be displayed on the PAX expo which opens up on August 31 in Seattle. After a week or two after the conference, this demo will be sent to backers. Despite that this version is a little bit “rough” and many things will be replaced with better ones in future, we’d like to ensure you that the project is alive and the team works hard.

20559e65a6f9de2ab6ab778d37d5e2f8_original.gif

More good news: we will release a new trailer on Pax and announce the collaboration with one of the indie publishers.

Let’s return to the topic of the demo versions. After providing backers with the first demo, we are going to concentrate on various aspects we are dissatisfied with. Then, rework them within a few months and release the second demo in autumn. This “vertical slice” version will include much more content, will be more oriented towards replayability and will include all our rework progress. The decision to do the rework was a hard one, but we’ve decided to move the project forward with the highest possible efficiency instead of staying in the same place and fixing endless flood of bugs.

8575c5d5849d32c1bfcd7e789ccdb0ee_original.png

To help pass the time before PAX and show that we don’t let the grass grow under feet, I’ve recorded several short gameplay videos which illustrate the progress in various aspects of the development. All videos are created on the basis of the PAX version that will be displayed on the conference and then provided to backers as one of the two demos.

A little example of combat system. We’ve added a bunch of new abilities and mechanics. And even more are waiting in line for implementation. You can combine any 4 active abilities discovered on the run.

During the development, we’ve decided that it would be great to use animatics not only for storytelling but as a part of the gameplay. Being completely satisfied with the result, we are going to use this feature more broadly.

Creating the demo version, we’ve also spent lots of time on localization. Some dialogs are very extensive, so now, we try to decide whether they will bother players or not. Give us your opinion.

This fragment illustrates the barter system. There is no money in Undungeon since the Shift gathers very different creatures and fractions. Thus, they are forced to return to the primitive conditions of the plane exchange. If you’ve noticed an item in the trader’s pocket that looks useful, you will need to spend something that is already in your inventory to get it.

Traveling all over the world, the Herald spends the energy of the Core which can dissolve almost any matter to recharge. Thus, you will need to feed the Core with something from your pockets.

Besides, we are back to the posting of Undungeon-related materials on a regular basis. At least, we’d like not to miss any #screenshotsaturday.

That’s all the vital information we’d like to draw your attention to in this update. We sincerely hope for your understanding and support. Expect the next update during PAX and demo - soon after. We are ready to answer any of your questions in the comments.

P.S. A small bonus - our composer, stonefromthesky, has just released his first full-length album - Spirals. It has slightly heavier sound than the Undungeon soundtrack, but it seems that many of you will like it: https://iamstonefromthesky.bandcamp.com/

http://undungeon.com/post/177565409916/late-but-not-lost-project-status-for-august-2018

RPS said:
Roam a warped Earth as an even stranger alien in sci-fi action-RPG UnDungeon

The heart of cosmic horror is knowing that humanity and all its ambitions are meaningless. Gorgeous pixel art action-RPG UnDungeon drives this home by beginning after the sudden and largely unimportant fall of our species. We don’t even get to be the protagonists.

Funded through Kickstarter last year, now to be published by TinyBuild, UnDungeon has players control one of seven alien ‘Heralds’, roaming what remains of Earth after an interdimensional convergence. While some humans survive, they’re as expendable as anything else in your mission to decide the fate of this merged planet. Below, a lengthy and existentially unsettling trailer.

Developed by new studio Laughing Machines, they describe UnDungeon as an action-RPG with “roguelike elements”. It seems that the seven strange playable creatures are reset when they die, and seem to be taking orders (or at least guidance) from a mummified or possibly invisible human. From what I’ve seen, UnDungeon’s world reminds me of Tides of Numenera (both tabletop and recent PC game), but more chaotic. This isn’t billions of years of change in effect, but rather a chaotic collision of several possible Earths – not all with the same laws of physics.

I’m always up for an RPG with an unusual setting, and this looks nearly as strange as they come without being intentionally incomprehensible, ala Vangers. On top of being packed with beautifully detailed pixel art, the trailer gives us a well voiced look at the story from multiple perspectives. The glimpses we get at the non-playable (yet friendly) aliens are fascinating too, such as a massive clawed sand-beast that speaks slowly and politely, and an arms dealer that appears to be some kind of crystalline octopus. It’s a strange world out there, and one I’m looking forward to exploring.

While Laughing Machines don’t have a date worked out for UnDungeon, they will be demoing the game at PAX West this weekend, with the demo going out to Kickstarter backers in a few weeks. You can see a lot more of the game’s animations, and some extra gameplay clips on its official site here, which is packed with detailed development blog posts.

Sykar

Arcane
Bonus points for creativity I hope this applies to gameplay as well not just character and world design. What does concern me is that I see only 4 hotkeys. I seriously hope there are options for potentially more abilities.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Nice enough visuals, terrible looking gameplay. They should hire someone to build a good game around the gfx, or the artist should leave and go work for someone who can make a decent game (e.g. iron tower, blue bottle games, stygian studios, whalenought, freehold games).

PATIENCE, PATIENCE AND A LITTLE BIT MORE PATIENCE!

tumblr_inline_pfb0h1xjsC1tljro8_1280.png

Hi there! Today we have a very tiny update on the current situation with the demo. So, over the past couple of weeks, we’ve gotten a few more steps closer, but still have a lot of worries - insidious bugs now and then appear at the most inopportune time slowing us down.

tumblr_inline_pfb0h6ZdPQ1tljro8_1280.png

At the moment, it remains for us to add a few events, make some cosmetic changes to the visual aspect, and add a few remained in-game animatics. A small incomplete part of the dialogues translation is also in progress - the team of localizers is working hard.

So what’s the plan at the moment? We expect that we will be able to finish the main tasks and begin to deliver the demo to the backers and to those who already pre-order by the end of the next week.

The day before the demo, an update will appear with the detailed instructions in it. In the meantime, we ask you only for a pinch of patience… Stay tuned!

http://undungeon.com/post/178246248961/patience-patience-and-a-little-bit-more-patience

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tried the demo on Steam right now. Is it weird I really like the premise and setting, but really am not into the game itself?

ColCol

Arcane
Tried the demo on Steam right now. Is it weird I really like the premise and setting, but really am not into the game itself?

How many abilities do you have available during game play? Only 4 like in the earlier video?

It seems like 4 that can be changed somewhat with gear. Plus there consumable that can also be swiped out/changes (and include bombs and knives). So far the game is very different from my notions of it, it seems more rpg like than I envisioned. Althought the demo has not really grabbed me at all.

Sykar

Arcane

How many abilities do you have available during game play? Only 4 like in the earlier video?

It seems like 4 that can be changed somewhat with gear. Plus there consumable that can also be swiped out/changes (and include bombs and knives). So far the game is very different from my notions of it, it seems more rpg like than I envisioned. Althought the demo has not really grabbed me at all.

Just for reference I was juggling over 20 abilities on my Dr. Strange when Marvel Heroes was still up. 4 abilities or 5 is a joke to me. Potions do not count.

ColCol

Arcane

Just for reference I was juggling over 20 abilities on my Dr. Strange when Marvel Heroes was still up. 4 abilities or 5 is a joke to me. Potions do not count.

That's awesome, I guess. The abilities for this one seem more in line with recent games like Risk of rain 2 or Gunfire Reborn. Though it feels strange here since this one does not seem to be a short dungeon crawler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom