Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

J1M

Arcane
your project doesn't look close to completion, so why not just move to ue4?

I have about 200,000 lines of code and tons of content invested in UE3. I may not be close to completion, but I'm 3 years of development into UE3, and I'm not going to repeat that in UE4. I just started working on my project full-time about a month ago, so I'm hoping to finish it in under 6 months.

I am severely triggered by highly visible repeating patterns in textures.

Yeah, that's just an example of the one technique. In production, I use a bunch of other techniques (and different textures) to hide the tiling.
UE3 as in unrealscript?

Do you know if UE3 licenses are still available? Can't find anything on the unreal site.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Graphics will remain topdown 2D with sprites that only face left/right, all vector-based & zoomable

Uhhhhh... if they're sprites why are they vector based... and if they're vector-based, why do they only face left/right... and if it's top-down, why do they only face left-right...

gaussgunner

Arcane
Graphics will remain topdown 2D with sprites that only face left/right, all vector-based & zoomable

Uhhhhh... if they're sprites why are they vector based... and if they're vector-based, why do they only face left/right... and if it's top-down, why do they only face left-right...

It looks kinda like Blades of Exile with SVG graphics.

I could add sprites facing up & down but that's more work. Maybe PCs only. I could just make an animation of them sidestepping to move up & down.. lol.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
UE3 as in unrealscript?

Do you know if UE3 licenses are still available? Can't find anything on the unreal site.

Yes, UE3, lots of UnrealScript classes, and all that. And yes, UE3 licenses are still available. On their custom licensing page fill out the form and say that you want a UDK or UE3 license. They'll get a hold of you, talk about your project, and help you decide whether UDK or a full UE3 license is best for you. I can't tell you specifics, but if you expect to cross a certain sales threshold in your first year, the UE3 license is probably cheaper in the long run. I think they'll let you renegotiate if your super-successful game ends up costing you a lot in UDK royalties. But the UE3 license doesn't come with SpeedTree. Epic and Unity negotiated reasonable rates for SpeedTree, and they passed along those costs to each individual user of UDK and the Unity SpeedTree plugin. If you have to get SpeedTree separately, it's going to cost you a TON of money.

Its being done in UDK which is UE3 for free, if i recall correctly.

I started off in UDK, but I ran into a few things that I wanted to do that I needed an actual UE3 license for. UDK is a specific build of UE3. And they let you try it out all you want (noncomercially) for free. (Or they did, anyway. I don't think they're still offering downloads to new users.) All the base code is the same, but if you want to change anything fundamental, you have to change the underlying UE3 code. If you only have a UDK license, then the underlying UE3 (which is mostly C++) is a black box. A full UE3 license gives you all of the source code for everything, but it comes with a pretty strict NDA.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Just uploaded the first draft of my proof-of-ability text gladiatorial combat game made in Python to Github here. Only been tested on Linux and requires a Python compiler to run. README included, it describes all of the commands (mostly self-explanatory) and spells (less self-explanatory). So far, you only face a single combatant and there have been no RPG mechanics implemented (yet, some are planned for the future). Also planned for the future is a sort of gladiatorial ladder to climb in order to gain freedom. It has only been tested on Linux using the command terminal. It should work on Windows if you type "python Gladiators of Teldrin.py" while in the .py file's directory without the quotations.

Edit: Just uploaded a fixed version that corrected a few bugs.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After two goddamn years of having a game idea in my head, finally got around to drafting a design doc and an excel for the char sheet and all.
Fuck, never assume that thinking about the game is progress men. :negative:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
fter two goddamn years of having a game idea in my head, finally got around to drafting a design doc and an excel for the char sheet and all.
Fuck, never assume that thinking about the game is progress men.

I feel you.

I'm a bit too perfectionist myself on some shit and keep redoing the same thing over and over pretty much, trying to obtain exactly what I want. Now stopped doing anything but design doc and even then, it's rough verbalizing things.

Very frustrating.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
After two goddamn years of having a game idea in my head, finally got around to drafting a design doc and an excel for the char sheet and all.
Good games are born from well-thought-out ideas. Hah, I had an idea in my head for well over 10 years and only now began implementing it. ;)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Worked on a prototype of a mobile game for a month. Had all mechanics in place. Realized the game had no gameplay. Analyzed similar games and came to conclusion that I've got the wrong idea about the setting, the actors, the camera perspective is wrong, everything is just so wrong. Dropped it. Will try something else...

Gamedev reminds me of poker a LOT. A lot of guys working, and hoping, and the rewards are supposed to be great, but not a lot of guys winning, almost nobody actually.

Wayward Son

I fell into that trap, my friend. I've had an idea for a setting for three years, gameplay mechanics for two and I'm only now actually putting anything down. Making some progress though, so that's nice.

Wayward Son

Newest version is up, with RPG mechanics (admittedly light) implemented. Uploaded to GitHub here. Come and get it while its hot! Only implemented two fights, but fight implementation should be exceptionally fast and there should be no bugs.

Wayward Son

What class did you play?
Edit: Also, congrats on reaching the end of the Alpha
Edit 2: Also, how did you find it? Was it too easy?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I failed several times with a gladiator then won with a fighter, but I never used any other actions than attacking. Wait, no, in fact with my first character I used other actions, I run away from the first combat, then run away from the second combat then the game said "Goodbye", that was actually funny.

Wayward Son

I failed several times with a gladiator then won with a fighter, but I never used any other actions than attacking. Wait, no, in fact with my first character I used other actions, I run away from the first combat, then run away from the second combat then the game said "Goodbye", that was actually funny.
Gladiator actually used to be the most OP class, a mis-programmed variable switch, which I forgot if I kept, allowed you to do a couple of sword dances and a weaken armor to do 60 damage at once. I changed it though, so that the magic-users weren't grossly OP

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I played several times with the difference classes now and won at least once with each class. I have more difficulties in winning with spell casters, which is cool, I probably don't use the best sequence of spells but anyway it's not a problem if it's harder.

He hits you for 60 HP!
Ouch. :salute:

Wayward Son

I played several times with the difference classes now and won at least once with each class. I have more difficulties in winning with spell casters, which is cool, I probably don't use the best sequence of spells but anyway it's not a problem if it's harder.

He hits you for 60 HP!
Ouch. :salute:
Yeah, I love it when the AI's stupidity leads to Fallout "you were hit for 2143562 damage" moments.

Wayward Son

Screenshots Wayward Son ? Also, I cannot into github. Is there any easy way to download and install this?
PM me your email, and I'll send the zip as a attachment.

Edit:
nHFBINH.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, I love it when the AI's stupidity leads to Fallout "you were hit for 2143562 damage" moments.
In any game that's always pretty awesome to get hit for more than your maximum life score, I love that. If you're looking for some cool texts for that kind of brutality besides Fallout you can also get some inspiration from Aleshar : World of ice.
Screenshots Wayward Son ? Also, I cannot into github. Is there any easy way to download and install this?
I'm using this under Windows: https://repl.it/languages/python to launch the game (you still need the code to copy it into the compiler).

Wayward Son

Or you could run it in the command line.
First, you install Python 27 and theyou run the game by typing "C:/python27/python.exe C:/"Fladiators of Teldrin v0.0.5.0.7"/"Gladiators of Teldrin.py" into the command line w/o quotes from the c:\ directory

Wayward Son

you guys are talking Chinese to me...
Just PM me your email address and we'll work it out tomorrow. (Sorry, I can't be at my computer ATM, so i won't be able to send it tonight). I just spent probably half an hour helping someone else on the internets get it to run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom