Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For Honor

sullynathan

Arcane
Does this game play smoothly? It looks a bit like there's some strategy involved than just hack and slash

Hellion

Arcane
The opening question of the survey Ubisoft sent to everyone who played the game's recent Closed Beta:

6bd3665270694e3da4527dbf5e96a870.png

Eagerly expecting Bioware's reply to this challenge to their Political Correctness Emperors status. Perhaps they'll remove genders altogether from Andromeda.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The japanese character with the glaive looks like the most fun.

Do you think this game has much longevity? It looks kewl but being Ubisoft I don't expect any long term support.

sullynathan

Arcane
The japanese character with the glaive looks like the most fun.

Do you think this game has much longevity? It looks kewl but being Ubisoft I don't expect any long term support.
They're going the six siege route of support with free dlc. That game is now on its 2nd year of free content.

J1M

Arcane
That knight "peacekeeper" smells of someone ranning out of ideas. I guess they were avoiding an archer archetype, but two swords is pretty dumb. Warhammers or quarterstaff on a lithe combatant would have been more interesting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The Knight faction is the most boring thematically apart from the dude with the flail. It's like they were made intentionally vanilla.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Vikings hype. Game's great.

Ubisoft love/hate relationship continues :negative:

PrettyDeadman

Hello, Boys! Who is going to participate in Open Beta tonight AND lives in europe/asia? We can cooperate and play with each other to ensure higher quality gameplay and connection stability. Please answer in this topic/PM me if you are interested.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That knight "peacekeeper" smells of someone ranning out of ideas. I guess they were avoiding an archer archetype, but two swords is pretty dumb. Warhammers or quarterstaff on a lithe combatant would have been more interesting.

She actually has a dagger and a sword, not sure where I read from but I remember a site mentioning that this is actually a legit dual welding tactic with either weapon can be used to parry.
The game shines best in 1v1 mode IMO, dominion is a clusterfuck POS, people who think this game needs a larger battlefield with 6v6 or 8v8 clearly didn't grasp the basics of this game.

J1M

Arcane

She actually has a dagger and a sword, not sure where I read from but I remember a site mentioning that this is actually a legit dual welding tactic with either weapon can be used to parry.
The game shines best in 1v1 mode IMO, dominion is a clusterfuck POS, people who think this game needs a larger battlefield with 6v6 or 8v8 clearly didn't grasp the basics of this game.
My main complaint with the game is the camera angle. It is very claustrophobic, and makes it hard to locate where you want to go after a battle has finished. I'm assuming this is a result of console failings.

Not sure which input method I prefer at this point. They both feel like there is something odd about the block stance buttons.

Overall, the game is more fun than I thought it would be. Although I like the zone control maps and prefer 2v2 brawl over 1v1. It leads to more interesting moments, like shoving someone at full HP off a cliff to win after your partner lost their 1v1.

Seems like there is a lot to learn in terms of special abilities and combos.

Gerrard

Arcane
People who compare this to a fighting game are retarded, I assume the only fighting game they ever played is Mortal Kombat.

Also it's hilarious seeing what Ubisoft considers a 60 dollar game. First Steep and now this.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I decided to install the open beta for the lulz,just played the tutorial and a bit with the AI so I can't really comment on the game but this one looks great and runs great too,I have a 3770,970,16gb of ram an at 1080 with extreme settings most of the time it aws at 60 fps I don't think it fell under 50 at any moment

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Game is a 10/10 for me. Early GOTY.

The mechanics are so well tuned at a fundamental level, I am actually amazed it comes from a AAA game. I have been playing 1v1s and every match feels like I could have done better for very specific reasons that I can identify. Reminds me of getting gud in Starcraft.

Also the level of detail given to the animations is astounding, easily the best animated 3rd person melee ever. Parrying with the berserker feels perfect.

BUT

This is a pure multiplayer experience, basically a substitute for a Moba game. Single player will probably be terrible.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
OK I have to make a slight adjustment to my previous statement,the framerate was generally around 60 except when I got to a map that was raining,then suddenly it looks like it was caped at 30 don't know why,I didn't notice any slowdown though just saw the number at the edge of a screen and died while looking at it instead of my opponent

Aothan

Magister
I tried the open beta and have mixed conclusions, For Honor looks and feels like a fun game but the design is, at least on the surface level of game mechanics, seemingly very limited. The design is like a fighting game but one with an unusually small moveset. Many of the standard attacks are basic, unchangeable (minor variations depending on stance for the Warden), and made to be readable. And why are they readable, that is why does the stance indicate which type of attack can be used, to facilitate the blocking system and its ambivalent complexity. The methods for blocking are superfluous if the angle of the attack is determined by the stance to begin with. This in combination with the mouse and keyboard does seem like awkward design, or as has been noted design primarily organised around console controllers

because of these aspects of the game it could mean the meta is unavoidably reactive or counter-based, I'm not sure if players can take any initiate that does not lead to them being naturally countered at above average levels of play and experience. Take for example the Warden's up parry plus light counter move, which is basically any move from above producing a really strong counter. In an attempt to alleviate the awkwardness in controls I combined stance blocking direction with movements directions e.g. moving left also leads to left blocking, right for right stance and blocking, so when moving forwards and someone tries to use a horizontal attack they are naturally countered with what is probably one of the strongest moves in the game

I really would like this game to be good, but I'm not sure where it is going in the long term as the community learns the game and perhaps design elements lead to a very binary style of gameplay that cannot be strategised around. I did not play a lot to really fathom what is possible however the limited movesets and some of the core elements of the mechanics have made me unsure, this is from an interest in buying the game next week to now waiting to see if some of these issues do come to define the gameplay (at slightly above average duel gameplay anyway)

that said For Honor is a good looking game, has a good feel, and my knowledge of the gameplay is undoubtedly limited, maybe dodging and guardbreaks and the like (damage through blocking which is significant) can ensure depth and satisfying complexity

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I tried the open beta and have mixed conclusions, For Honor looks and feels like a fun game but the design is, at least on the surface level of game mechanics, seemingly very limited. The design is like a fighting game but one with an unusually small moveset. Many of the standard attacks are basic, unchangeable (minor variations depending on stance for the Warden), and made to be readable. And why are they readable, that is why does the stance indicate which type of attack can be used, to facilitate the blocking system and its ambivalent complexity. The methods for blocking are superfluous if the angle of the attack is determined by the stance to begin with. This in combination with the mouse and keyboard does seem like awkward design, or as has been noted design primarily organised around console controllers

because of these aspects of the game it could mean the meta is unavoidably reactive or counter-based, I'm not sure if players can take any initiate that does not lead to them being naturally countered at above average levels of play and experience. Take for example the Warden's up parry plus light counter move, which is basically any move from above producing a really strong counter. In an attempt to alleviate the awkwardness in controls I combined stance blocking direction with movements directions e.g. moving left also leads to left blocking, right for right stance and blocking, so when moving forwards and someone tries to use a horizontal attack they are naturally countered with what is probably one of the strongest moves in the game

I really would like this game to be good, but I'm not sure where it is going in the long term as the community learns the game and perhaps design elements lead to a very binary style of gameplay that cannot be strategised around. I did not play a lot to really fathom what is possible however the limited movesets and some of the core elements of the mechanics have made me unsure, this is from an interest in buying the game next week to now waiting to see if some of these issues do come to define the gameplay (at slightly above average duel gameplay anyway)

that said For Honor is a good looking game, has a good feel, and my knowledge of the gameplay is undoubtedly limited, maybe dodging and guardbreaks and the like (damage through blocking which is significant) can ensure depth and satisfying complexity

It is a controller game, no doubt. I tried both and digital input is just not how this game was made.

I understand what you are saying but the first impression you got is because it is indeed a very new player base and players are lacking in patience. Attacking cancelling and feints are far more important than doing class combos right and most people haven't learned them. Basically most people don't know how to attack.

New players try to stand in front of each and guess their direction to strike while the experienced try to play around the guessing game.

Watch some of the better streamers like https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121480136 to see more nuanced play.

karfhud

Augur
I've played some over the past three days and gotta say I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I love how each class feels very different from the others. It's also incredibly fun to play with a full team of friends; a solo experience, with no voice coms, can be frustrating, but that's true for most multiplayer games.

Important note: play with a gamepad. I went through a couple of matches on the PC, with mouse and keyboard, and the experience was quite horrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom