Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera Story Trailer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Techland; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile and Techland have released a new "story trailer" for Torment: Tides of Numenera, that tells the origin story of the Changing God and the Castoffs. It's really quite nice - a cut above the usual Techland trailers, which makes me wonder if it's not the work of some third party. Some might find the trailer inappropriately spoilery, although there's little in it that won't be familiar to somebody who's followed the game's development closely. Here it is, along with the accompanying press release:

Wroclaw, Poland – February 9, 2017 – inXile Entertainment and Techland Publishing revealed today the latest trailer for their upcoming, highly-anticipated science-fantasy RPG Torment: Tides of Numenera, the thematic successor to one of the most critically revered and in-depth CRPGs of all time.

This epic cinematic story trailer recounts the lore leading up to the very moment that players begin their odyssey as the Last Castoff – the flesh-and-blood by-product of a megalomaniacal deity known as the Changing God.

A billion years in the future a man discovered a way to cheat death. A seeker of knowledge and wisdom, his ultimate goal was to leave an unforgettable mark on the world. In his quest for everlasting legacy, he discovered ancient technology – the Numenera – that allowed him to transfer his consciousness to a body of his own design. Thus he became known as the Changing God.

In a bid to escape death, the Changing God inadvertently awakened a fearsome, ancient beast known as The Sorrow – a terrifyingly powerful guardian of balance, bent on destroying the Changing God and all of his Castoffs.

It is at this point that the dramatic events of your birth unfold, and your story to answer who you are, and what your legacy might be, begins...​

I find the depiction of the Changing God as a kind of Biblical patriarch to be inspired. Let's hope the game's story can live up to the power of that imagery.

Visbhume

Prophet
Cool trailer, I too enjoyed the biblical patriarch angle. But The Sorrow it a bit meh name.

I liked The Angel of Entropy better. It was reminiscent of Klee's Angelus Novus and of the reflections on history and progress that the drawing suggested to Walter Benjamin:

A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.

Darkzone

Arcane
Hasn't Schizophrenic Monologues posted this in the BT 4 #33 Update?

It's really quite nice - a cut above the usual Techland trailers, which makes me wonder if it's not the work of some third party.
Reminds me of the work / trailer done for the TW3:

And for the Witcher 2: Geralts' memory.

Cool trailer, I too enjoyed the biblical patriarch angle. But The Sorrow it a bit meh name.

I liked The Angel of Entropy better. It was reminiscent of Klee's Angelus Novus and of the reflections on history and progress that the drawing suggested to Walter Benjamin:

A Klee painting named Angelus Novus shows an angel looking as though he is about to move away from something he is fixedly contemplating. His eyes are staring, his mouth is open, his wings are spread. This is how one pictures the angel of history. His face is turned toward the past. Where we perceive a chain of events, he sees one single catastrophe which keeps piling wreckage upon wreckage and hurls it in front of his feet. The angel would like to stay, awaken the dead, and make whole what has been smashed. But a storm is blowing from Paradise; it has got caught in his wings with such violence that the angel can no longer close them. The storm irresistibly propels him into the future to which his back is turned, while the pile of debris before him grows skyward. This storm is what we call progress.
It also staggered me why they changed the name. Perhaps it was to reminiscent to the tower of entropy.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Cheeky bastard eh? Beign a woman here, a guy there... adding some spice to his repertoire?
Yeah I can imagine his decadent orgies literally enjoying himself
Hhah sorry guys too much companion sex rhetoric on the Deadfire thread

Turok

Erudite

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Fuck Entropy, honestly.

Kron

Arcane
Visbhume said:
((Walter Benjamin)):

Haha what a bunch of bullshit, kill yourself if you take this seriously.

Angelus%20Novus%20Paul%20Klee.jpg

Just wow, fuck modern "art" and intellectuals.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Looks good. It's a solid setup.

They of course had to insert the whole "ancient being that hunts you down because you are abomination" angle, christ, can you get any more literally deus ex machina than a thing that exists specifically to prevent you cheating the rules. It would have been much better for the Castoffs to be hunted by the Changing God, by other Castoffs, or by society that has turned on the God or lusts after the Castsoffs' special properties, whatever.

The Sorrow bit is meh, everything else seems rather interesting though.

Can't wait to get disappointed in inExile again :shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom