Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The only things Witcher 3 have that are alot superior to Fallout 4 without question are the writing, the world building and graphix. On a technical level, Witcher 3 is an impressive game and Fallout 4 is a joke. However, if you are a storyfag or some nerdy guy that has hard on seeing shiny graphix, if you only care about the package of a game and don't care at all about gameplay, yes Witcher 3 is a much superior game to Fallout 4.

But “this is a nice game for storyfags” excuse won’t fly because good writing is tied to quest design and gameplay, and TW3 is a popamole game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
On the contrary. AoD is a new classic that doesn’t get half of the attention it deserves because it is an indie game made by a codexer. If he were a nobody without a past inside this forum, with all the bickering and butthurt associated with it, or if he were an intern of Obsidian, the reception would be more positive.
I think you're on to something, I've seen at least two users (oldfags, i.e. users who registered before 2008) who were bashing on AoD but just recently they've actually started playing it (which also shows they were trolling earlier) and they seem to enjoy it. What do you know?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
This is an extremely subjective area. There are people who really like our design and people who don't because they prefer different gameplay. You claim that things you dislike are bad (they must be otherwise you'd surely like them), which is kinda silly.
Yeah, and there are people who like Oblivion design and gameplay, and then there are people who claim their design is bad. Its all subjective. I can't wait to read the comments from retarded fanboys who will twist my words into: "Oh my god... did he just compare AoD to Oblivion?!

:desu:
People like Oblivion not because they like the design (or lack thereof) but because they like sandbox games a lot. It's probably the hottest RPG genre these days, which is why everyone's jumping on it, including Bioware. Coincidentally, that's why Witcher 3 is the #1 game and not only on the Codex and that's why every Bethesda game is a huge hit regardless of how badly they fuck up the design - compared to Fallout 4 Skyrim is a fucking masterpiece.

We've talked a lot about Oblivion back when it was released and not a single person ever produced a semi-decent argument defending the design flaws. They simply liked the gameplay, that whole 'go anywhere, do anything, forget about the main quest' thing and were willing to overlook the flaws, i.e. nothing but a strong personal preference. Not to mention that Oblivion was never liked on the Codex so when you bring it up, you're talking about two very different groups of players - people who like shiny things vs people who like proper RPGs. It's not the case with AoD - the "focus group" is the same and we see different and very subjective preferences within that group. Etc.

PS. 12% of all players completed the infiltration quest which means that at least twice as many people attempted it, yet only two complaints about that Centurion. The logical conclusion is that you simply don't like the design, not that the design is objectively bad.

Shin

Cipher
It absolutely showed up the shittiness of Bethesda and Fallout 4, which is priceless.
The only things Witcher 3 have that are alot superior to Fallout 4 without question are the writing, the world building and graphix. On a technical level, Witcher 3 is an impressive game and Fallout 4 is a joke. However, if you are a storyfag or some nerdy guy that has hard on seeing shiny graphix, if you only care about the package of a game and don't care at all about gameplay, yes Witcher 3 is a much superior game to Fallout 4.

However, on a mechanical level, both games are uther AAA garbage, I played worse popamole games than Witcher 3 and even enjoyed them but I have no illusions like you guys are hell bent into believing that CDProjekt isn't selling popamole like everyone else and is somehow incline. Actually, they are going on a path that I really fear but isn't only them but pretty much all AAA studios that make AAA "RPGs".

I know how it is tradition here on Popamole Codex to mock the question of "What an RPG is?" but to anyone that likes to mock this so much you must be aware that there is a slippery slope. Look to New Vegas a few years ago, it was a popamole action RPG like the Witcher 3 is but there was skills, attibutes, skill and attibute checks on dialog and all sort of stuff. The game had some handholding but handholding is reaching a new level on the last few years, Witcher 3 is dangerous close to a game that play itself, actually the best parts of the game you are a passive watcher instead of interacting with the game. There is a diluting of RPG qualities to a point where on the future there won't be action/RPG but action/action.

People are here on Popamole Codex are defending games that are stripped of very basic RPG mechanics as they were incline. To me, there isn't much of a difference between Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3. If you hate SJW stuff, you wont like Inquisition, if you hold a grudge with Bethesda or just can't stand their retarded worldbuildng and writing, you won't like Fallout 4, if you are POTATO STRONK! and like "Epic Grand Adventure on Edgy Fantasy Land." with kinda decent writing, you will like Witcher 3. But in terms of actual gameplay, they are pretty much similar. Single player MMOs with tons of filler content to waste your time. Of the three, Witcher 3 is the better one but it still is a single player MMO.

honest question; if the witcher 3 had either turn based combat (somehow) or had action based combat on the (mechanical) level of Dark Souls, would you regard it to be a 'proper' RPG? Is it's shitty combat alone enough to disqualify it as one?

V_K

Arcane
Is it's shitty combat alone enough to disqualify it as one?
No.
Arcanum, Ultima 7, Morrowind, PST - all have shitty combat, and even Fallout's isn't that great either - yet those are the Codex's top RPGs.
What really differs them from Witcher is a) lack of handholding and b) character builds actually affecting playstyle.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's all about stats ,not if the game/combat is good or not.If the main gameplay is based on stats we have the basis for rpg.Like Morrowind is rpg ,Oblivion is action game.

gaussgunner

Arcane
People like Oblivion not because they like the design (or lack thereof) but because they like sandbox games a lot. It's probably the hottest RPG genre these days, which is why everyone's jumping on it, including Bioware. Coincidentally, that's why Witcher 3 is the #1 game and not only on the Codex and that's why every Bethesda game is a huge hit regardless of how badly they fuck up the design - compared to Fallout 4 Skyrim is a fucking masterpiece.

We've talked a lot about Oblivion back when it was released and not a single person ever produced a semi-decent argument defending the design flaws. They simply liked the gameplay, that whole 'go anywhere, do anything, forget about the main quest' thing...

True, that's what people expect of RPGs, all the way back to the 80s with Wizardries and roguelikes, and of course PnP. And it's so easy to fuck it up.

Honestly that freedom is what I find lacking in AoD. It's railed, in the sense that everything revolves around the branching plotline. Like a rail shooter it sacrifices player freedom to tell a better story. To me it feels disjointed when I make a dialogue choice and suddenly I'm teleported to some other location. I'm used to having a world map where I can wander around, with quests merely providing clues. Sure, open worlds get in the way of storytelling and C&C. To do it all is a monumental challenge. And for 15-20 years, developers have been too distracted by technology (Windows, 3D, game engines, online, mobile) and trendy bullshit (crafting, achievements, etc) to do it justice.

sstacks

Arcane
Ok dudes, felipepepe and Matt Barton will be on the show tomorrow and we'll yap about these results. WE WILL NOT TRY TO DEFINE WHAT AN RPG IS BECAUSE THAT IS A VERBAL TAR PIT OF DOOM +10 (although I am curious that FTL made the voting list).

We'll be live at 1 PM Central on 96.5 FM The Answer out of Little Rock, and you can listen online as well here http://965fmtheanswer.com/

As usual, the show will go out as a podcast within a few days of the live show.

norolim

Arcane
You fags forced me to go out of my lurker mode with your fake news :argh:.

For some bizarre reason, some polacs think it’s a matter of national pride having a polac popamole game with shitty gameplay and cosmetic C&C. They do everything they can to make it succeed because in their distorted heads, patriotism trumps merits. Others voted on it because they like popamole games and others because like having romances with fictitious NPCs, which is basically hentai level of cultural retardness. Anyway you look at it, it doesn’t tell a flattering picture of humankind. The next time you see some codexer complaining about the decline, check his votes first.

So has anyone rerun the numbers after removing kebab kurwa?

I identified 70 Potato Codexians.

46 of those did not vote for twitcher 3 or did not vote at all.
14 voted 5
voted 4
voted 3
voted 2
voted 1

I removed all Potato votes for all the games. And as expected with such a small number, the results were as follows (I only modified Average and Bayesian Average, couldn't be bothered to do the rest):

GC1mscW.png

Full document HERE.

There may be more Polish Codexer, I could not identify. 30 more, 50? Even if half of them voted, it wouldn't change much. Witcher 3 simply had enough 5/5 form other places in the world.

There. Now, you can safely go back to conspiracy theories about UFOs and aliens.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

For some bizarre reason, some polacs think it’s a matter of national pride having a polac popamole game with shitty gameplay and cosmetic C&C. They do everything they can to make it succeed because in their distorted heads, patriotism trumps merits. Others voted on it because they like popamole games and others because like having romances with fictitious NPCs, which is basically hentai level of cultural retardness. Anyway you look at it, it doesn’t tell a flattering picture of humankind. The next time you see some codexer complaining about the decline, check his votes first.

14 voted 5
voted 4
voted 3
voted 2
voted 1

I removed all Potato votes for all the games. And as expected with such a small number, the results were as follows (I only modified Average and Bayesian Average, couldn't be bothered to do the rest):

GC1mscW.png

Full document HERE.

There may be more Polish Codexer, I could not identify. 30 more, 50? Even if half of them voted, it wouldn't change much. Witcher 3 simply had enough 5/5 form other places in the world.

There. Now, you can safely go back to conspiracy theories about UFOs and aliens.
Well if it's true it's even worse than I imagined. Still facts are facts (assuming it's true). When events change, I change my mind.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

14 voted 5
voted 4
voted 3
voted 2
voted 1

GC1mscW.png

Full document HERE.

I did the same thing, although I only know 63 Poles and I have results after excluding including 32 Poles (including me) because the rest didn't vote. Out of those 32, 25 rated W3. After excluding Poles the average goes up actually, from 4,32812500 to 4,331764! And I have 15 Poles who voted 5, 5 who voted 4, 2 3, 2 2 and 1 1, so the average is even higher than in norolim's case and yet the average goes up. So yeah. You can check the data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dtp96JYdv0Jw0vCvhnDY9YQAkLk9PBIJbLIj5DxyQVk/edit?usp=sharing (AoD vs UR sheet)

Among them the averages for some more popular titles are as follow:
AoD: 4,238095
Fallout 4: 1,571429
Witcher 3: 4,24
Underrail: 3,823529
Undertale: 1,857143

As you can clearly see Poles have the most refined taste.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
But what about closeted poles?
Or polish spies in other countries?
Poles who don't know they're poles because their parents were too ashamed to tell them?
Poles who are too retarded to understand that they are poles?
Non-poles who secretely harbor polish desires?
Nah, relying on anecdotal evidence is not the way to go about racial purity. The only true way is to eliminate all the votes from the users who gave Twitcher 4 or 5. Only then will we have a truly fair and pole-free poll.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think you're on to something, I've seen at least two users (oldfags, i.e. users who registered before 2008) who were bashing on AoD but just recently they've actually started playing it (which also shows they were trolling earlier) and they seem to enjoy it. What do you know?

Developing a cult game is not something you do, it’s something you earn. If people have an open mind and are not worried about forums petty rivalries, they will appreciate a good game. I think other games are having better receptivity too. Hell, even now, I’m still discovering and buying recent released games that are much more interesting than the garbage that Obsidian and InXile keep feeding us. The picture of incline keep changing as time passes.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

That was the only charitable interpretation of the result. So this means that people in good conscience actually enjoyed this popamole game and voted for it. Sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom