Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Shadenuat

Arcane
Finished main quest. As a professional best dad I did the only right thing

latest

For maximum best dad points

That postgame :lol: do you know if you google "witcher 3 postgame" the second result is "depression"?

36 endings much hard do :shittydog:, things that Fallout 2 did. remove 90% treasure from skellige, make a scene for your daughter coronation instead/waifu house

Overall, my impression from Witcher 3: Great world, Shitty game
Let me just go through these shitty things:
- The combat is shit on hardest difficulty after white orchard, and only picks up on level 30+ in add-on (I just had a fight with 35+ level arachna-things at random location that was more difficult than Wild Hunt boss)
It is one of the easiest action games I ever played in my whole life, it's about modern Bethesda level easy. You will never do what Geralt does in the trailer, like drinking an anti-vampire potion. Because it's shit anyway and you can do with just you sword and quen 99% of the time.
- Especially because developers blatantly recycle monsters all the time in witcher orders, which is infuriating
- The leveling system is 90% shitty passives, with about 2 unique moves you can open. Spellcasters get cooler stuff I guess. It is also genius in respect that I had about 8 unspent skill points for most of the endgame and beyond (I know addon fixes that, but still)
And let's not talk about things like getting instant levels from main quests or ~5 levels from mist island
- Aside from witcher gear, loot is, obviously, total shit.
- The whole level scaling is a no-win thing, since if you level scale everything to Geralt level you get 35 level wolves everywhere, while without enemies become just fodder
- The world is static as all hell, quests hold your hand and impossible to fail, at max you can fail at getting all gwent cards maybe, but I heard they fixed it too
There is no end game state for the world, the level 5 monsters you have to hunt to save some village would patiently wait for you to kill them, redania and nilfgaardians won't fight over anything like factions in New Vegas do for example, it's a single player MMO
The most you get are some people working at day and sleeping at night but who cares
There is no reputation, no systems to change anything in the world
- The UI was done by some sort of sadist, everything from menus to minimap and quick slots and key bindings... don't even want to go there, if game was harder and required to use all the variety of potions and elixirs it would have been a nightmare.

But in the meantime, you get best things AAA game can afford:
- Them grafix. It's not just technology, the game and it's world have style and beauty. It's medieval, up to murals on castle walls and woodworking on houses on Novigrad, and unique and realistic.
- While quests don't give you lot's of options, they often present you with at least primitive (or not) dilemma. To the point where you stop playing and begin to think what the fuck do you do. Quests are often fun. Even doing level 1 quest at level 30 can be fun just because quests are interesting.
- Main characters are nuanced, believable and charismatic. You just like everyone even if they are bastards. And game humor has some of that derpy fantasy thing I can't capture in words. It's like Larian, but lighter and funnier.
- This game probably has one of the best written main stories since a very long time. I think it's presentation is a bit shitty with all the backtracking and awful flashbacks but it is strong when it is important (including C&C).
However, I still believe Witcher 3 lost a lot of that "gray" story design in favor of sexy librul sorceresses and northen queens etc.
- Gwent is alright.

Personally, I think this game should be criticized a lot more. Because there is really nothing left of monster hunting gameplay in it - it's just a hack and slash power fantasy. Because of boringside content and very little good open world quests which you can stumble upon when just riding your horse. Really, lots of things. But I guess this sort of gameplay is just expected from AAA game nowadays. The fact that you get a pull-no-punches tougher fantasy world and story and not-retarded world with extraordinary design probably just outweights everything. And you can still die in 1% of fights compared to over AAA games.

So I'm going to take a break because what am I doing with my money and my life and then start them expansions.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Playing TW3 on death march with a mod that removes the stupid buffs/debuffs on enemies of higher/lower levels than you. (TandM - The FAIR version v1.22 - works on 1.3+)

It's fantastic so far.

Don't get me wrong, I had a few epic battles with enemies 10+ levels higher than me in the original version, but tbh, it was still lame to know that I was only chipping away at their mountain of a health bar because of some artificial algorithm.

I'm also trying a mod that removes all item level requirements, but I think it's just going to break the game as I found a recipe for the level 37 sword Harpy right away.

I've yet to see a mod that has a fix for the massive item bloat in the game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Then the game shouldn't be called "The Witcher". "Magic adventures in The Witcher Universe" maybe.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Update on that mod: as I've gotten further, I'm now encountering enemies with some health bloat. Not sure if it's a problem with the mod (it's for an older version, but the author thinks it should still work) or if it's just how the game works with or without the buffs. I am playing on death march, so enemies are tougher regardless.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I like how Stone Hearts is better than vanilla in many ways (like combat) but Blood&Wine is better than Stone Hearts. That's one awesome DLC. Disney-arthurian overdose. Sapkowski also really liked arthuriana and wrote about it a lot.

Also drinking at graveyard with liberal vampire and owning your own winery...

I think only bad part about it is new gwent deck. North, Nilfgaard and Monsters are way better than vikings.

I only use this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/254/?
Because I run Euphoria build and am always on drugs.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I invested 160 hours and finished last DLC and somehow am still hyped about the whole thing.
I especially appreciated how character driven stories were, even more so in expansions than in vanilla. Sure, behind Wild Hunt were a bunch of folk, but we only begin to know them late into the game. In comparison, 100% of story meat in HoS and B&W comes from the flaws of men and women.

Although B&W ending up as a twisted turn on Disney Maleficent is a little funny.

2house2fly

Magister
Blood And Wine interrupting a climactic unstoppable vampire massacre of a city to make you potter about in insanely twisted edgy fairy tale land for like an hour is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in a video game. Like Mass Effect 3 "the reapers are invading, go search for a lost dog tag you overheard a guy talking about" level baffling.

Endemic

Arcane
Blood And Wine interrupting a climactic unstoppable vampire massacre of a city to make you potter about in insanely twisted edgy fairy tale land for like an hour is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in a video game. Like Mass Effect 3 "the reapers are invading, go search for a lost dog tag you overheard a guy talking about" level baffling.

Well, it basically all happened because the Duchess was ignorant and Syanna was using Detlaff for revenge. The problem is the sequence of events requires a little too much contrivance when you look back at the whole story. Like why couldn't you track down Detlaff before he launched the attack? Why did the Duchess choose that particular method of imprisonment? Etc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I thought it was obvious from cutscenes when Anariette scolds you for not finding Detlaff that Geralt & Regis tried to seek him with regular means and only when city got attacked decided to do the riskiest stuff.
And magical pocket dimension seems a lot better than regular prison.

A lot of things in the game can be somewhat contrived, but I'd say their source is that Witcher tries to do cinematic storytelling in an open world game. It's just a bad idea.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Time passes there differently though. :M

2house2fly

Magister
I assumed something like that would be the case but I don't remember any dialogue referring to it.

2house2fly

Magister
In my defense it's right at the end of an interminably long game, I probably skipped the dialogue to get the scene over with faster

Carrion

Arcane
Patron

Time passes there differently though. :M
...which actually makes it an even worse place to imprison someone. If you want to keep her there for a week of real-world time, it'd mean years or decades for her in fairyland time, which might fuck up her mind just a bit.

Gerrard

Arcane
Not as baffling as people sympathizing with a psychotic murderer because of the sob story she tells you despite the fact that the it's already established she's a lying whore.

:badnews:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not as baffling as people sympathizing with a psychotic murderer because of the sob story she tells you despite the fact that the it's already established she's a lying whore.

:badnews:

Yes, she's a sociopath, but that's no reason to treat her the way they did.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I like how Stone Hearts is better than vanilla in many ways (like combat) but Blood&Wine is better than Stone Hearts. That's one awesome DLC. Disney-arthurian overdose. Sapkowski also really liked arthuriana and wrote about it a lot.

Also drinking at graveyard with liberal vampire and owning your own winery...

I think only bad part about it is new gwent deck. North, Nilfgaard and Monsters are way better than vikings.

I only use this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/254/?
Because I run Euphoria build and am always on drugs.
Heart of Stone is very focused and reaches the pinnacle of the game series storytelling. Blood & Wine is huge, with the drawbacks that naturally come along with that. The value is incredible though.

Skellige Gwent deck seems to be built around winning one round with a berserker deathblow, and another using tight bonds. Kambi probably confuse the hell out of the AI.

odrzut

Arcane
Tomaszkiewicz already had a few interviews. Take someone who hadn't.

Maybe some programmer that worked on RPG elements?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Went into this grudgingly but it very quickly became one of the best games I've ever played. I cannot believe the detail and effort that went into this. These people are very, very passionate about what they do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom