Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You can have a cRPG set in any videogame universe of your choice

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Videogame or any other media universe (books, films, TV shows, anything goes)

Which one is that universe, and why? Already existing cRPG universes are out of the question.

Personally, I would like to see a Legacy of Kain cRPG. The lore was cool, the setting was interesting, the characters were memorable, even if they were overly verbose in plenty of ocassions. It would need a serious rework so that the story makes sense, but overall I think it has potential.

By "video game universe", I really do mean "grab an existing universe and use it as the base for a cRPG". "Cyberpunk" means nothing, on the other hand, if you say something like "I want a cRPG set in the Blade Runner universe" it works.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
anything except fantasy
just die already

serious answer - cuberpunk and historical (older than kwa) can do the job

I would start with all the cool historical settings that are never/rarely covered.

- feudal Japan (from a wRPG perspective, I know jRPGs cover it a lot)
- dark age Europe (from around 450AD to 1066AD)
- age of sail (roleplaying a pirate, sailor, explorer, ship captain, etc)
- prehistory
- ancient/medieval China
- various Asian empires (Golden Horde, Mughals, Temerids, Caliphates, etc)

Each of those would provide a ton of background lore, unique flavor, and stuff to play around with. And being historical, the absence of commonly used genre props (e.g. wizards, elves, fireballs, magic wands) would force the devs to create compelling stories/locations/characters.

After that, I would look for cool sci-fi settings, based on highly rated sci-fi movies/books.

eggdogg

Learned
The global struggle between communists and anarchists in the 1800s where you can role either Marx or Bakunin...final boss Capitalism.

Drew

Savant
I want a tactics game set in L4D universe.

But like, not shit.
City crawling squad turn based zombie killer.

Videogame or any other media universe (books, films, TV shows, anything goes)

Which one is that universe, and why? Already existing cRPG universes are out of the question.

Personally, I would like to see a Legacy of Kain cRPG. The lore was cool, the setting was interesting, the characters were memorable, even if they were overly verbose in plenty of ocassions. It would need a serious rework so that the story makes sense, but overall I think it has potential.

By "video game universe", I really do mean "grab an existing universe and use it as the base for a cRPG". "Cyberpunk" means nothing, on the other hand, if you say something like "I want a cRPG set in the Blade Runner universe" it works.

Legacy of Kain cRPG would be cool. I'd like to see an Elder Scrolls/Ultima style game set in the Dune universe. And maybe a few more Lovecraftian games (nothing has nailed it yet.)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Malazan. The books are cringeworthy in their pretensiousness and over the top character levels, but it would be perfect for a huge open world CRPG. It's like a more original version of Forgotten Realms.

An RPG set into the world of Lord of the Rings

Personally I think the Silmarillion is a much more interesting setting: higher power levels (I mean guys like Turin and Fingolfin make Aragorn and Legolas look like little boys), more magic, and more evenly matched factions than in LoTR. And it's not centered around just one person or "party".

Last edited:

buffalo bill

Arcane
rpg set in cronenberg's videodrome where you submit to or resist the new flesh, choosing to support the cathode ray mission that wants to convert everyday reality into television or the spectacular optical corporation that wants to purge north america of sex and violence addicted degenerates by giving them all brain tumors (incline?). Sanity-based mechanic in which you gain skills by putting videotapes into the cavity that grows in your chest, sacrificing mental stability

Xorphitus

Scholar
A cRPG based off of Faxanadu as long as it didn't take inspiration from Tokyo Xanadu.

Maybe a cRPG based off one of the classic side scroller beat'em up's like Final Fight or Streets of Rage.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
RPG Codex. You begin as a lowly newfag. Your first guide is Jaesun who constantly reminds you of your Join Date. Along the way, you get to meet a wide cast of quirky characters including a melnorme who likes rearranging stuff, a procrastinating neanderthal, and even people of the royal family. R00fles! Visit wondrous places like Prosperland and the fabled Vault of Down Under.

As you level up, you gain new powers like the ability to brofist. After completing the final quest, you get an Achievement called 'DarkUnderlord' and the ability to goldfist.

There is no end to this CRPG. It just works! :dance::dance::dance::dance::kfc:

Fake edit: there will even be oldskuul cheat codes that can be typed in the console. Type Chris Avellone for God mode (TimCain works too).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom