Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

V_K

Arcane
I'm sorry but you just told that purest definition of train is a steam locomotive, and this is BULLSHIT.
Just as bullshit as saying that a steam locomotive isn't a train, but that's exactly what some people are arguing here.

Black Angel

Arcane
The age of :obviously: storytelling died with MOTB.
I don't know any game in 2008 who had that, but :obviously: storytelling definitely lived on with Demon's Souls by 2009 and the Soulsborne series onward. As I quote some of the members here (forgot who was it, Jasede or felipepepe maybe), "Dark Souls is the PS:T of Action-RPGs/Action Games".

Convincing me to play Japanese games... what is next?
What's wrong with Japanese games? It's not like all of them are kawaii kawaii desu anime games...

I never said otherwise. I just think it is a particularly bad RPG.
Why?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm sorry but you just told that purest definition of train is a steam locomotive, and this is BULLSHIT.
Just as bullshit as saying that a steam locomotive isn't a train, but that's exactly what some people are arguing here.
I saw only those who tell that RPG it is a dungeon crawler from 80-th.
No, it is NOT an PRG today, because PRG today is P:T or PS:T.
There is a fucking huge difference between them.

Mareus

Magister
For instance, it’s obvious to me that people who don’t appreciate harsh skill checks and complain about excessive realism or being restricted by developers don’t have the slightest idea of what character building is.
Oddly enough, I never said I don't appreciate harsh skill checks and have never complained about excessive realism. Hell, I am one of those who modded the shit out of Fallout 3, so I can get killed by one straight bullet and permanently wounded. But AoD's horrible implementation of these principles is a real issue and you cant hide these issues by some illusory notion of skill checks and realism. Let me give you an example straight from the game. I manage to get into a palace by sneaking... i fight some dude and am lucky enough to kill him on my first try. Now, I wish to patch myself up before continuing, but the game takes control and starts doing things for me. It forces me to take the centurion armor and put it on and now I am have two options: I can go kill another dude who is blocking my path, or I can pretend I am his superior. I don't really want to do any of these two options, because I specialized my character to sneak. Ideally, I would be able to patch myself up, sneak, distract some enemies, and get to my goal, but NO... the game wants me to choose 1 of these 2 things. Fine! I choose the option to impersonate... aaaaaand two minutes later I am dead. Or how about this? I am teleported around until I meet a merchant who wants to hire me for protection. I have an option to decline, but considering that this is supposed to be the ULTIMATE RPG based on the hype of the Codex, I accept naively thinking that this ULTIMATE, BEST EVER, AMAZING RPG will give me an option to then move around the city before starting the mission, perhaps buy some better equipment, hire some extra muscle... or you know.. the usual stuff you would expect from even a half decent roleplaying game. Instead, I am teleported to a new location with some assassins attacking the merchant, .... and I am of course slaughtered in the process - game over. Now, I am sorry, but you can't honestly defend such horrible design by realism and harshness. This is just retarded. Why am I being teleported away? I never agreed to this! This is not what I wanted to do, so why is the game forcing me into these situations? Why cant I go buy myself some equipment first? Why can't I do even the most basic things in this game?

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
I manage to get into a palace by sneaking... i fight some dude and am lucky enough to kill him on my first try. Now, I wish to patch myself up before continuing, but the game takes control and starts doing things for me. It forces me to take the centurion armor and put it on and now I am have two options: I can go kill another dude who is blocking my path, or I can pretend I am his superior. I don't really want to do any of these two options, because I specialized my character to sneak. Ideally, I would be able to patch myself up, sneak, distract some enemies, and get to my goal, but NO... the game wants me to choose 1 of these 2 things. Fine! I choose the option to impersonate... aaaaaand two minutes later I am dead.
you are moron, you could avoid all fights by using only sneak+lockpicking

Black Angel
Demons Souls and Dark Souls yeah. Better to sprinkle the world with fluff (not in your face) and sublime connections and let the player imagine stuff.

My favorite moment in Dark Souls was when my :obviously: Int Sorcerer misfired a soul arrow into the big boobed goddess lady in Anor Londo very soon after meeting her and daylight vanishes. I got assraped for quite a while in that playthrough until I git gud and learned to properly parry humanoid monsters :lol: That was an orgasm of story telling via gameplay for me.

So sometimes you do find a diamond in a pigsty...

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
For instance, it’s obvious to me that people who don’t appreciate harsh skill checks and complain about excessive realism or being restricted by developers don’t have the slightest idea of what character building is.
Oddly enough, I never said I don't appreciate harsh skill checks and have never complained about excessive realism. Hell, I am one of those who modded the shit out of Fallout 3, so I can get killed by one straight bullet and permanently wounded. But AoD's horrible implementation of these principles is a real issue and you cant hide these issues by some illusory notion of skill checks and realism. Let me give you an example straight from the game. I manage to get into a palace by sneaking... i fight some dude and am lucky enough to kill him on my first try. Now, I wish to patch myself up before continuing, but the game takes control and starts doing things for me. It forces me to take the centurion armor and put it on and now I am have two options: I can go kill another dude who is blocking my path, or I can pretend I am his superior. I don't really want to do any of these two options, because I specialized my character to sneak. Ideally, I would be able to patch myself up, sneak, distract some enemies, and get to my goal, but NO... the game wants me to choose 1 of these 2 things. Fine! I choose the option to impersonate... aaaaaand two minutes later I am dead. Or how about this? I am teleported around until I meet a merchant who wants to hire me for protection. I have an option to decline, but considering that this is supposed to be the ULTIMATE RPG based on the hype of the Codex, I accept naively thinking that this ULTIMATE, BEST EVER, AMAZING RPG will give me an option to then move around the city before starting the mission, perhaps buy some better equipment, hire some extra muscle... or you know.. the usual stuff you would expect from even a half decent roleplaying game. Instead, I am teleported to a new location with some assassins attacking the merchant, .... and I am of course slaughtered in the process - game over. Now, I am sorry, but you can't honestly defend such horrible design by realism and harshness. This is just retarded. Why am I being teleported away? I never agreed to this! This is not what I wanted to do, so why is the game forcing me into these situations? Why cant I go buy myself some equipment first? Why can't I do even the most basic things in this game?

The merchant thing is basically just an intro, an excuse to get players involved in the main plot. Yeah, it might be a bad design decision but it's not really a big deal since you can explore the city as much as you want afterwards.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Or how about this? I am teleported around until I meet a merchant who wants to hire me for protection. I have an option to decline, but considering that this is supposed to be the ULTIMATE RPG based on the hype of the Codex, I accept naively thinking that this ULTIMATE, BEST EVER, AMAZING RPG will give me an option to then move around the city before starting the mission, perhaps buy some better equipment, hire some extra muscle... or you know.. the usual stuff you would expect from even a half decent roleplaying game. Instead, I am teleported to a new location with some assassins attacking the merchant, .... and I am of course slaughtered in the process - game over. Now, I am sorry, but you can't honestly defend such horrible design by realism and harshness. This is just retarded. Why am I being teleported away? I never agreed to this! This is not what I wanted to do, so why is the game forcing me into these situations? Why cant I go buy myself some equipment first?
you can by equip. first you fucking retard

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While I can agree with what you wrote here, or better with your description and conclusion based on that, you are the last person here that should be saying this stuff to others as your similar rampages all over the 'Dex are common vs anything that is even slightly not to your liking.

That’s because you consolidated a caricature of me in your mind a long time ago, but have not being paying attention to the things I actually said, or to how many times I change my points of view. First, I accept a proto-definition of cRPG just like everyone else. Second, the fact that many games are not genuine cRPGs according to this definition is irrelevant if they manage to implement an interesting feature really well, while a genuine cRPG according to this definition can be an awful game if it doesn’t implement anything right. A combat-centric pseudo-cRPG can be a great game if has a solid combat system and for cultural purposes we can call it a cRPG. No problems. Third, the interesting discussion about the nature of cRPGs doesn’t revolve around the definition of cRPGs, but about how each of the usual features (character building, skill checks, combat system, itemization, exploration, etc.) should be implemented. For instance, it’s obvious to me that people who don’t appreciate harsh skill checks and complain about excessive realism or being restricted by developers don’t have the slightest idea of what character building is.
Sorry, but both of your definitions of RPGs are wrong. Let me explain it to you in detail. Despite what many might think, RPG games is well known across hundreds of nations all over the world. RPG games has been around for several centuries and has a very important meaning in the lives of many. It would be safe to assume that RPG games is going to be around for a long time and have an enormous impact on the lives of many people. RPG games has a large role in American Culture. Many people can often be seen taking part in activities associated with RPG games. This is partly because people of most ages can be involved and families are brought together by this. Generally a person who displays their dislike for RPG games may be considered an outcast. It is not common practice to associate economics with RPG games. Generally, RPG games would be thought to have no effect on our economic situation, but there are in fact some effects. The sales industry associated with RPG games is actually a 2.3 billion dollar a year industry and growing each year. The industry employs nearly 150,000 people in the United States alone. It would be safe to say that RPG games play an important role in American economics and shouldn't be taken for granted. After a three month long research project, I've been able to conclude that RPG games doesn't negatively effect the environment at all. A RPG games did not seem to result in waste products and couldn't be found in forests, jungles, rivers, lakes, oceans, etc... In fact, RPG games produced some positive effects on our sweet little nature. Oh does RPG games ever influence politics. Last year 5 candidates running for some sort of position used RPG games as the primary topic of their campaign. A person might think RPG games would be a bad topic to lead a campaign with, but in fact with the social and environmental impact is has, this topic was able to gain a great number of followers. These 5 candidates went 4 for 5 on winning their positions. RPG games seem to be a much more important idea that most give credit for. Next time you see or think of RPG games, think about what you just read and realize what is really going on. It is likely you under valued RPG games before, but will now start to give the credited needed and deserved.

Mareus

Magister
I manage to get into a palace by sneaking... i fight some dude and am lucky enough to kill him on my first try. Now, I wish to patch myself up before continuing, but the game takes control and starts doing things for me. It forces me to take the centurion armor and put it on and now I am have two options: I can go kill another dude who is blocking my path, or I can pretend I am his superior. I don't really want to do any of these two options, because I specialized my character to sneak. Ideally, I would be able to patch myself up, sneak, distract some enemies, and get to my goal, but NO... the game wants me to choose 1 of these 2 things. Fine! I choose the option to impersonate... aaaaaand two minutes later I am dead.
you are moron, you could avoid all fights by using only sneak+lockpicking
You are missing the point.

Mareus

Magister
Or how about this? I am teleported around until I meet a merchant who wants to hire me for protection. I have an option to decline, but considering that this is supposed to be the ULTIMATE RPG based on the hype of the Codex, I accept naively thinking that this ULTIMATE, BEST EVER, AMAZING RPG will give me an option to then move around the city before starting the mission, perhaps buy some better equipment, hire some extra muscle... or you know.. the usual stuff you would expect from even a half decent roleplaying game. Instead, I am teleported to a new location with some assassins attacking the merchant, .... and I am of course slaughtered in the process - game over. Now, I am sorry, but you can't honestly defend such horrible design by realism and harshness. This is just retarded. Why am I being teleported away? I never agreed to this! This is not what I wanted to do, so why is the game forcing me into these situations? Why cant I go buy myself some equipment first?
you can by equip. first you fucking retard
I have no clue what you mean.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Konjad WTF? You should clarify what THE FUCK?
Many RPGs tend to be a stagnant pile of generic regurgitation (like most military FPS titles today). In truth, a limited amount of RPG titles have innovated and offer something new. Apparently, developers such as Bioware and Bethesda have re-invigorated the genre, however this is highly debatable. Although by the same token, RPGs can’t seem to claw away from the tropes that generally plague the genre. RPGs try to present themselves as god-like entities, ubiquitous in nature, wrought by what the developers deem an original concept. Few titles are original, and thus this is the sad state of affairs for RPGs. Arguably, Magicka isn’t a wholly original concept, but what has been lacking from titles such as Dragon Age, Fallout New Vegas and Mass Effect is a definitive co-op experience that is fun, engaging and addictive (as well as extremely witty). Magicka embraces all the clichés of RPGs, and is not afraid of its heritage. The game ardently positions itself as a parody, with its ludicrous storyline and somewhat squeaky ‘Swedish’ dialogue. Even as a parody, by simplifying the core elements of the typical isometric RPG (a.k.a Diablo) Magicka becomes an exercise in chaotic tomfoolery. The game was developed by Indie dev team Paradox Interactive who hawker the goods in a nostalgic, yet incredibly satisfying release. The developer consummate the marriage of a “shoot em’ up” with the versatility of an RPG game. Born from this unholy union is a full-fledged multiplayer blood bath, involving hooded midgets in bath robes and magical beam battles that would rival even Dragonball. Magicka’s setting is familiar to most fantasy buffs and draws on this heritage with a perturbed hysterical grin.

Video games and its effects on adolescents and responsibility of parents is a topic that is widely debated whether it’s the parent’s responsibility or the game industry should be regulated. The video games industry itself has been available to consume for only about the last 30 years. With that being said the topic is still rather new in terms of its effects but its effects on children can currently be measured. The industry is very unique in terms of entertainment because players are transported into the game its self essentially becoming part of the script.
Though many people see the negatives in playing video games there are positives. A recently published meta-analysis by Uttal in 2013 concluded that the spatial skills improvements that resulted from playing video games that incorporated elements of shooting have the equivalence of the effects of high school and university-level courses targeted at improving these same skills. With that benefit could some high school level courses be altered? How will this change the classroom atmosphere? Even with games such as Sims 3 the players must build a “virtual” life for themselves from the ground up. Essentially the avatar or virtual character has to socialize, learn new skills to obtain a job and acquire a better home along with finding a husband, wife, and friends and have possible kids. Even though this is a virtual world it still builds on social skills as well as becoming a common interest to kids outside the game (helps build actual friendships). According to a study done by Adachi and Willoughby in 2013 it showed that the more kids that played RPG games became FUCKING AUTISTS.

In the past few decades there has been debate over the positive and negative affects of video games with a good deal of focus on more violent games. Prior to and concurrently with this debate, there have also been similar debates over radio, television, and movies but, as should be obvious from the current breadth of media, no studies have definitively proven any negative affects. The detractors of video games claim, based on media effects research, that people who play video games with any sort of violence in them have heightened antisocial and decreased prosocial tendencies afterwards; this is the assumed cause of certain acts of violence including the majority of school shootings. The supporters of video games claim that there is an increase in hand-eye coordination and spatial reasoning, a decrease in aggression, and far more they also state that the media effect studies often had numerous issues. But they are all wrong as it has been proven numerous times that those who play RPG games are degenerate losers that should just hang themselves.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
54f970fe2b666_400.jpg

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Let me give you an example straight from the game. I manage to get into a palace by sneaking... i fight some dude and am lucky enough to kill him on my first try. Now, I wish to patch myself up before continuing, but the game takes control and starts doing things for me. It forces me to take the centurion armor and put it on and now I am have two options: I can go kill another dude who is blocking my path, or I can pretend I am his superior. I don't really want to do any of these two options, because I specialized my character to sneak.
You can sneak all you want and go through the entire infiltration sequence without killing anyone, which will be noted by Antidas (you won't have to explain why you killed his men). The moment you kill someone in a fucking palace, things change.

Ideally, I would be able to patch myself up, sneak, distract some enemies, and get to my goal, but NO... the game wants me to choose 1 of these 2 things.
There are 4 or 5 things, actually. You didn't unlock the other options because you didn't explore enough.

Or how about this? I am teleported around until I meet a merchant who wants to hire me for protection. Instead, I am teleported to a new location with some assassins attacking the merchant, .... and I am of course slaughtered in the process - game over. Now, I am sorry, but you can't honestly defend such horrible design by realism and harshness. This is just retarded. Why am I being teleported away? I never agreed to this! This is not what I wanted to do, so why is the game forcing me into these situations? Why cant I go buy myself some equipment first? Why can't I do even the most basic things in this game?
You can buy weapons and armor first. Not sure which quest you're referring to, the intro or Vardanis. I assume it's the latter. You can refuse if you don't feel you're up to the task. If you go with him, it becomes very clear that the deal is shady and the merchant is way over his head. So when Cado sends thugs after him, you're given another option to walk away (i.e. the assassins don't attack out of the blue and you aren't forced to fight them). Protecting Vardanis is hard, killing the thugs isn't unless you just randomly click on them.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
You are missing the point.
you have like fucking 15-20 options in that quest for all kind of builds
what the fuck do you want? with sneaky non-combat thief you were not supposed to be in that situation, you shouldn't enter in the fight with those guards, you should took another route through the roof

Zeriel

Arcane
Trains are evolving, just as RPG.

The guy's argument was that old RPGs are not RPGs because they don't have the bells and whistles of modern RPGs. I was countering that. I wasn't making the claim that newer RPGs aren't RPGs. Are you saying that because bullet trains are more advanced than a steam locomotive, the steam locomotive isn't a train? Because that's what it sounds like in relation to what I (and he) was saying.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Let me give you an example straight from the game. I manage to get into a palace by sneaking... i fight some dude and am lucky enough to kill him on my first try. Now, I wish to patch myself up before continuing, but the game takes control and starts doing things for me. It forces me to take the centurion armor and put it on and now I am have two options: I can go kill another dude who is blocking my path, or I can pretend I am his superior. I don't really want to do any of these two options, because I specialized my character to sneak.
You can sneak all you want and go through the entire infiltration sequence without killing anyone, which will be noted by Antidas (you won't have to explain why you killed his men). The moment you kill someone in a fucking palace, things change.

Ideally, I would be able to patch myself up, sneak, distract some enemies, and get to my goal, but NO... the game wants me to choose 1 of these 2 things.
There are 4 or 5 things, actually. You didn't unlock the other options because you didn't explore enough.

Or how about this? I am teleported around until I meet a merchant who wants to hire me for protection. Instead, I am teleported to a new location with some assassins attacking the merchant, .... and I am of course slaughtered in the process - game over. Now, I am sorry, but you can't honestly defend such horrible design by realism and harshness. This is just retarded. Why am I being teleported away? I never agreed to this! This is not what I wanted to do, so why is the game forcing me into these situations? Why cant I go buy myself some equipment first? Why can't I do even the most basic things in this game?
You can buy weapons and armor first. Not sure which quest you're referring to, the intro or Vardanis. I assume it's the latter. You can refuse if you don't feel you're up to the task. If you go with him, it becomes very clear that the deal is shady and the merchant is way over his head. So when Cado sends thugs after him, you're given another option to walk away (i.e. the assassins don't attack out of the blue and you aren't forced to fight them). Protecting Vardanis is hard, killing the thugs isn't unless you just randomly click on them.

Arguing about gameplay mechanics while being said game's dev is much like trying to kiss your own balls: A valiant, if futile, attempt. And even if you succeed, you still have that salty smell in your mouth and can't stop wondering why you even bothered doing it in the first place.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Arguing about game mechanics is one thing. Pointing out that the guy missed some rather obvious things is another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom