Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I stand by my four rating. PoE was a very good game during the first half. It just completely falls off the rails the second half. Just because I might have felt bitter about the overall experience doesn't mean that it didn't have enough solid moments to justify giving it a better rating than a mediocre 3.

I couldn't even get through the first half out of boredom. That it gets worse is really saying something.

I think the Second Act (out of Three) and White March are the best. The Third Act is fun in its own way with the gods and their missions, but it is kind of a break in tone after Defiance Bay politics.

Freakydemon

Educated
I wasn't referring to you. It was rhetorical. That is, carefully concealed butthurt, validation request and other forms of faggotry.

mTdN7b7.jpg

In NWN2 original campaign where you argue your innocence was perhaps the best part of the OC.

You know who wrote that? George Ziets.

Find the best part of PoE and find who wrote it. I am willing to bet it was Ziets. All other writers are hacks.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
In NWN2 original campaign where you argue your innocence was perhaps the best part of the OC.

Find the best part of PoE and find who wrote it. I am willing to bet it was Ziets. All other writers are hacks.

I see he was also involved into Mask of the Betrayer as creative lead. But also...Dungeon Siege 3 ??

He was Cucked by Publisher in DS3 i think. The expansion does have a couple of decent moments though the piece of shit known as ds3 is better not played.

Did you know Gann the Spirit Shaman was designed to be librul bisexual by Ziets being a companion of both Female and Male PC but WoTC vetoed it fearing the homo associations.

Sadly many such stories of Ziets being cucked by Publishers, IP Holders and his colleagues and seniors.

If I had dozens of millions to spare, I would just hire Larian to develop gameplay and game systems Divinity Original Sin style while George Ziets is the creative lead with full power (and any psychotropic substances favoured by him ) and no one cuckolding him about what he can and not include in the game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

He wrote some (all?) quests of the mega dungeon. But this thinking is too naïve. These writers work on so many projects, that the quality of their work varies. Avellone is the best of them, but he wrote some cringe worthy lines in MotB. Eric Fenstermaker wrote the vault in F:NV, but failed miserably in PoE. NWN2 tribunal is awful.

Did you know Gann the Spirit Shaman was designed to be librul bisexual by Ziets being a companion of both Female and Male PC but WoTC vetoed it fearing the homo associations.

That's a good thing, no? It sounds like a shit idea.

Last edited:

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Made a selection of "understated gems" (good ratings above 50%, # votes between 30 and 100) for my own wishlisting needs.

Salt and Sanctuary
Thea: The Awakening
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Stranger of Sword City
LISA
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Steve Jackson's Sorcery!
Voidspire Tactics

Lots of JRPGs in there, huh.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
He was Cucked by Publisher in DS3 i think. The expansion does have a couple of decent moments though the piece of shit known as ds3 is better not played.

How is that an argument for his case? If anything, it makes me appreciate WotC more.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Ziets only created the gods, he didn't do any actual writing.

He was Cucked by Publisher in DS3 i think.

Nah, the publisher didn't care. It was the project director, Richard Taylor, who ultimately decided that the writing needed to be blander than originally conceived.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Made a selection of "understated gems" (good ratings above 50%, # votes between 30 and 100) for my own wishlisting needs.

Salt and Sanctuary
Thea: The Awakening
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Stranger of Sword City
LISA
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
Steve Jackson's Sorcery!
Voidspire Tactics

Lots of JRPGs in there, huh.

OH MY GOD. Look what this deranged place is doing to me. Convincing me to play Japanese games... what is next? Playing Undertale and praising a popamole game as GOTY? Maybe I should make a sex change and enroll on a course about diversity too.

:negative:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ziets only created the gods, he didn't do any actual writing.

[Knowledge check] Failed.

You have been a Pillars of Eternity stretch goal ‒ however, we feel you haven’t had too many chances to introduce your work on the project. We remember you writing interesting stuff about Woedica, one of Eora’s deities. Could you elaborate a bit on your work on PoE?

I was involved in the early narrative and world-building work on PoE, when the team only consisted of Josh and a few other people. It was a fun phase of the project – I love world-building, and Eora (which didn’t even have a name at the time) was almost a blank slate, except for the player races, the map, the focus on souls, and a few lore elements that Josh wrote during the Kickstarter campaign.

First I came up with a bunch of deities, which made good sense to me as an initial step. (It seems like a society would use gods to represent things that are important to them, so defining the deities was a good way to get to know the people of the Dyrwood and their neighbors.) Then I wrote a lot of lore about cities, dungeons, prominent people, organizations, and important places in the region, including a detailed breakdown of Defiance Bay. I think the team has expanded the city a lot since I worked on it, but some of my neighborhoods are still present (e.g., Brackenbury, Ondra’s Gift), and it sounds like they’ve retained some of the other lore too.

In appx. March of 2013, when more people started to roll onto the project, a number of us (Josh, Chris Avellone, Eric Fenstermaker, Jorge Salgado, me) wrote up ideas for a main storyline. Then Eric and I spent a couple weeks on Skype (he was in California, I was in Ohio) synthesizing many of those ideas into an initial draft. During that time, I also assisted with some writing on their vertical slice (Dyrford), though I don’t know if any of my dialogue is still in the game.

Around May of 2013, I shifted my focus over to Torment during a lull in my PoE work, but my role on Torment quickly expanded, and InXile ultimately offered me a full-time position. That turned out to be a good fit – the only downside is that I never had a chance to do any additional work on PoE.

Source.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom