Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

V_K

Arcane
Can you guys stop confusing "RPG game made in japan" with "JRPG"? It really makes my head spin. It's fucking retarded to pretend Wizardry clones are the same as Final Fantasy clones. I have no bones to pick with the rest of the post, just thought I'd point that out.
Fixed.
It's an RPG made in Japan, hence jRPG is appropriate I would say. Just because it doesn't have chocobos it doesn't mean it's not a jRPG. inb4 "what is an (j)RPG".

I suppose I'm showing my age, then. When internet was young, JRPG referred exclusively to games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc because that was most of the output coming out of japan. Referring to niche dungeon crawlers as JRPGs really triggers my autism, but I guess I'll just have to learn to let it go.

When you were young, there was no fucking such term as JRPG, unless you were young during the Xbox 360 generation.
I first encountered the term JRPG in late 1990s.

Zeriel

Arcane
Can you guys stop confusing "RPG game made in japan" with "JRPG"? It really makes my head spin. It's fucking retarded to pretend Wizardry clones are the same as Final Fantasy clones. I have no bones to pick with the rest of the post, just thought I'd point that out.
Fixed.
It's an RPG made in Japan, hence jRPG is appropriate I would say. Just because it doesn't have chocobos it doesn't mean it's not a jRPG. inb4 "what is an (j)RPG".

I suppose I'm showing my age, then. When internet was young, JRPG referred exclusively to games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc because that was most of the output coming out of japan. Referring to niche dungeon crawlers as JRPGs really triggers my autism, but I guess I'll just have to learn to let it go.

When you were young, there was no fucking such term as JRPG, unless you were young during the Xbox 360 generation.

I know it's hard when you quote a post to actually read it, but I said when internet was young, which was circa 1995-1999.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After looking at the full data, it's clear that people tried to manipulate it.

217 users (27.13%) have fewer than 10 posts, and 142 have 0.
70 users (8.75%) registered in January 2017.
The Witcher 3 had 265 5/5 votes, but 87 of them (32.83%) came from users with <10 posts.
Age of Decadence had 245 5/5 votes, but 57 came from that group. And no, these users didn't downvote AoD. Quite the opposite, actually: only 3 out of 217 gave it a 2/5 and 11 gave it a 3/5.
Tyranny had 45 5/5 votes, but 22 came from that group.
Divinity: Original Sin had 5/5 votes, with 69 from that group.

The top 10 results wouldn't have been too different with some form of vetting, but the rest changes a lot. Here's what the top 30 would look like with a minimum of 10 posts and registered since December 2015:
  1. The Witcher 3 - 3,80
  2. Age of Decadence - 3,79
  3. Underrail - 3,78 (+1)
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - 3,77 (-1)
  5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - 3,73 (+1)
  6. Dark Souls - 3,69 (-1)
  7. NEO Scavenger - 3,45 (+1)
  8. Dragon's Dogma - 3,42 (-1)
  9. FTL - 3,40 (+1)
  10. Legend of Grimrock II - 3,39 (-1)
  11. Fallout 1.5: Resurrection - 3,36
  12. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 3,35 (+1)
  13. Dark Souls II - 3,31 (+3)
  14. Dark Souls III - 3,299 (-2)
  15. Dungeon Rats - 3,298 (+2)
  16. Heroine's Quest - 3,29 (+3)
  17. Invisible, Inc. - 3,282 (+5)
  18. Expeditions: Conquistador - 3,276 (-3)
  19. Xenonauts - 3,274 (-1)
  20. Valkyria Chronicles - 3,267 (-6)
  21. Blackguards - 3,263 (+7)
  22. Tales of Maj'Eyal - 3,260 (-1)
  23. Might and Magic X: Legacy - 3,24 (+6)
  24. Legend of Grimrock - 3,233 (-4)
  25. Stardew Valley - 3,266 (+2)
  26. Shadowrun: Returns - 3,22
  27. Lords of Xulima - 3,21 (-2)
  28. Wasteland 2 - 3,19 (-4)
  29. Grim Dawn - 3,18 (+1)
  30. Pillars of Eternity - 3,17 (-7)

Biggest swings compared to the original top 30:

Blackguards (+7)
Pillars of Eternity (-7)
Valkyria Chronicles (-6)
Might and Magic X: Legacy (+6)

Interesting how PoE is the game which benefits the most from inactive/new user votes. :M
Yeah, let's manipulate the data until we get a result which suits you. That would be a great poll.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Fixed.

I know it's hard when you quote a post to actually read it, but I said when internet was young, which was circa 1995-1999.

You're still wrong. Internet was young in the early 90's, not in the mid 2010. And jRPG was not a thing in 95-99.

I first encountered the term JRPG in late 1990s.

Interesting, but where? I have never, ever seen anyone refer to jRPG until the western gaming media started its crusade against Japanese games, around the PS3/360-era, especially their RPGs. They categorized Japanese RPGs under the ubiquitous term jRPG as to degrade and hand wave them. Before that it didn't matter to anyone which continent or island the game came from, only the genre/sub-genre.

Skall

Learned
felipepepe Thanks for providing some extra commentary on the data. Obviously the torch and pitchfork replies are to be expected, regardless of the results, but it's quite interesting to see how things have fluctuated over the years.

Freakydemon

Educated
If Obsidian isn't the most important gaming studio in the world, then who else is?
I have choice of three:
Iron Tower Studio
Whalenought Studios
ZA/UM

Like, I care about them approximately fifty times more than Obsidians.

What did Hannah and Joe ever do to become more important than Obsidian? Serpent in the Staglands was a weak game. You can clearly see it in the results as well.
Well they are pretty cute.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You lost, get over it.
qXkA0SJ.png

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Obsidian is like the Byzantine Empire in 1400, the last remnants of a once noble and all-powerful RPG empire, that now just runs on the fumes of past glories and memory, just waiting the be finally nailed into its coffin by the savage barbaric hordes of decline.

The ones he listed are the new kids on the block with new aspirations, new hopes, new dreams, a destiny in the forward position rather than the backward/staid.

The difference is that Obsidian was never an Empire of anything, just a promise. The Empire was Interplay, never Obsidian.

Wow didn't think TW3 will be first. I predicted top 3 but mine was AoD,Under,TW3.

Thoughts:

DS3 vindicated. DS2 faggots screeching. Yup.

Nope. Not really. Not if we disregard all newfags and alts :

The top 10 results wouldn't have been too different with some form of vetting, but the rest changes a lot. Here's what the top 30 would look like with a minimum of 10 posts and registered since December 2015:
  1. The Witcher 3 - 3,80
  2. Age of Decadence - 3,79
  3. Underrail - 3,78 (+1)
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - 3,77 (-1)
  5. Shadowrun: Dragonfall - 3,73 (+1)
  6. Dark Souls - 3,69 (-1)
  7. NEO Scavenger - 3,45 (+1)
  8. Dragon's Dogma - 3,42 (-1)
  9. FTL - 3,40 (+1)
  10. Legend of Grimrock II - 3,39 (-1)
  11. Fallout 1.5: Resurrection - 3,36
  12. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - 3,35 (+1)
  13. Dark Souls II - 3,31 (+3)
  14. Dark Souls III - 3,299 (-2)
  15. Dungeon Rats - 3,298 (+2)
  16. Heroine's Quest - 3,29 (+3)
  17. Invisible, Inc. - 3,282 (+5)
  18. Expeditions: Conquistador - 3,276 (-3)
  19. Xenonauts - 3,274 (-1)
  20. Valkyria Chronicles - 3,267 (-6)
  21. Blackguards - 3,263 (+7)
  22. Tales of Maj'Eyal - 3,260 (-1)
  23. Might and Magic X: Legacy - 3,24 (+6)
  24. Legend of Grimrock - 3,233 (-4)
  25. Stardew Valley - 3,266 (+2)
  26. Shadowrun: Returns - 3,22
  27. Lords of Xulima - 3,21 (-2)
  28. Wasteland 2 - 3,19 (-4)
  29. Grim Dawn - 3,18 (+1)
  30. Pillars of Eternity - 3,17 (-7)

:dance:
it doesnt really matter which one is higher cause all three of them are great games. Definitely better than shallow,dumbed down shit like TW3 or fucking Shadowrun on iOS :lol:

Still its nice to know you cant sleep because Souls game without Miyahacki is regarded higher than his own work ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The Witcher 3 had 265 5/5 votes, but 87 of them (32.83%) came from users with <10 posts.
Ahaha!
That speak for itself lol, and this is disgusting.
HUGE thanks for that analysys.

Witcher 3 is unplayable for me without important mods like wrinkle remove:
I might dissapoint you, but women doesn't look like this, they have wrinkles and that's normal.
I just fear you won't endure them since wrinkles inevitable. Just, well, you know - procreate!

Witcher 3 winning despite its flaws just goes to show that we've had good, but not classic games. It has big flaws, but so do all the other quality titles released over that time period.
Yeah, I agree completely, thought that too.
But what are the flaws of AoD and Underrail? Lack of creativity? No fucking way, it is lack of money, tight budget and all things like that, so they can't have that Shiny Grafixx (tm).
So, they lost only technically, for technical reasons, not because it was bad games with bad mechanics, plot or something. while AoD was quite experimental on its own.

What did Hannah and Joe ever do to become more important than Obsidian? Serpent in the Staglands was a weak game. You can clearly see it in the results as well.
I'll explain.
They are a persons. While we, players have any deals with Obsidian Int. or InXile - it is mid-lvl buisness, you know.
Yoy can't actually communicate with business and have at least 0.1% sure that you got fair deal, fair deal with business for customer is an exception if exist at all.
While if it is persons with whom you have deals, can give you a fair deal.
Also for their first big game they did a very good job, and updates on SitS A Fool's Banquet and Copper Dreams show their willingness to experiment.

As for Obsidian - their last two games shows for me at least, that Obs Int become Business with a capital B, and I saw what happened befor with Bioware.

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
If Obsidian isn't the most important gaming studio in the world, then who else is?
I have choice of three:
Iron Tower Studio
Whalenought Studios
ZA/UM

Like, I care about them approximately fifty times more than Obsidians.

I'm not a fan of either of their games, but it was Whalenought's first release. At least they show promise.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
These results are quite good in general, if you ask me. There's only 2 things that annoy me:

Blackguards is too low. Damned shame, it should be higher.
Two games in the same poll with the same acronym. Every single time anyone wrote PoE in this thread, I read it as the wrong game. I move for Path of eternity be removed from future polls to prevent confusion.

Imperialist

Novice
Wouldn't call that drastic, not like people spammed the poll.

70 users (8.75%) registered in January 2017.
Age of Decadence had 245 5/5 votes, but 57 came from that group. And no, these users didn't downvote AoD. Quite the opposite, actually: only 3 out of 217 gave it a 2/5 and 11 gave it a 3/5.
Tyranny had 45 5/5 votes, but 22 came from that group.
Divinity: Original Sin had 5/5 votes, with 69 from that group.

1. .
  2. .

Biggest swings compared to the original top 30:

Blackguards (+7)
Pillars of Eternity (-7)
Valkyria Chronicles (-6)
Might and Magic X: Legacy (+6)

Interesting how PoE is the game which benefits the most from inactive/new user votes. :M

Twitcher3 still on top, doesn't make any difference. Let us acknowledge the popamoleness that is Codex2017.

Sherry

Arcane

Just to set the record straight - not everything in this world is a conspiracy(most things are, though, but that's beside the point here). As one of the unwashed masses with a grand total of 1 post prior to this, I tried to vote fairly and didn't even vote for Witcher 3 since I've only played it for just about an hour. It ran at the cinematic framerate on my rig, had open world and the disgusting "magic vision" to never get lost, so far as I'm concerned it can fuck off. I know, it's shocking that not every newfag is an alt with an ulterior motive, but tis the truth. All I did was leave my lurk mode to post some shit about Dungeon Rats because fuck all people have played it when it came out, and then I saw all these shiny buttons and couldn't help myself.

Hi.

The Game of the Year Award thread was the very first one I posted in because it was a good way to get involved with the community and I was allowed to vote for games I had played and a few of them were on the list. I did not down vote games I did not play but even after I too read a few other posts thinking I was a bubble or an alternative but then someone must have checked that somehow and told them I was not a bubble. It happened again when I agreed with another member while discussing thoughts on what we would like to see in Deadfire so I understand how you feel when someone thinks you are someone else who already has an account here because it is frustrating having to repeat it that we are not.

If it is such a problem whenever these awards are handed out and to avoid finger pointing at new members who just like the site then yeah do not let members vote unless they meet certain requirements based on forum criteria. I could vote on the Game of the Year Award but I cannot give hearts or fist people for a good post? Odd right?

Thanks,
Randal

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom