Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
I guess I should finally play Witcher 3 to see what all the fuss is about. Really suprising to me that on the Codex a AAA game wins GOTY.
Never would have thought that my brother-in-law (very casual gamer) and the Codex would have the same favourite game.

Storyfags, storyfags everywhere, duh. Remember that PS:T is our #1 of all time, above any turn-based combat/gameplay-focused games, too. So this isn't really surprising for the Codex, even leaving aside the fact of potato infestation or any difference in actual quality between PST and W3.

In fact, AoD's 2nd place may also be partially explained by its storyfag qualities (you can play it as a non-combat game + it has some pretty memorable scenarios and characters).

Are you telling me you didn't enjoy the storyfagginess in TitS 1?

At least
It's
Turn-based

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the 'Rance' game with near 0% 'known by' and a 90% (i.e. highest of all) 'quality' rating, part of that Rance series with the, um, 'majestic' Lets Play posted on the Codex a while back?

Because if so, then all the work that went into this graph is more than justified by the possibility that some poor naive individual might stumble across it one day and think 'WOW! I've got to try that Rance game! It sounds like good wholesome crpg entertainment.'

Yes. We have a thread dedicated to that glorious franchise http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rance-series.76507/page-44 .

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Storyfags, storyfags everywhere, duh. Remember that PS:T is our #1 of all time, above any turn-based combat/gameplay-focused games, too. So this isn't really surprising for the Codex, even leaving aside the fact of potato infestation or any difference in actual quality between PST and W3.

In fact, AoD's 2nd place may also be partially explained by its storyfag qualities (you can play it as a non-combat game + it has some pretty memorable scenarios and characters).
lol
You're one to talk.

Let's see at some of your votes:

Dark Souls - 5, DSII - 4, DSIII - 5, Deus Ex: MD - 4, Disgaea - 4, Elminage Gothic - 4, Final Fantasy games 4-5-4-5-5, FTL - 4, GoT - 4, Grandia II- 3, Gurumin - 3, I am Setsuna - 3, Labyrinth of Touhou II - 5, Legend of Grimrock II - 3 (why so low?), Pillars of Eternity - 5, Risen 2 - 2 (higher than Witcher, lol), Shadowrun Hongkong - 3 (other Shadowrun games - 2), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 5, Toukiden - 4, Tyranny - 4...

In general if it's Japanese you will slurp it and ask for seconds, if it's Obsidian - the same. But seriously, rating Risen 2 higher than Witcher 3 is hilarious, same goes for GoT, PoE, Tyranny or any jRPG. Also, jRPGs are aimed at storyfags so WTF? What do you see in them, gameplay is super repetitive in them so if one doesn't like the story these weaboo games are trash.

Elmimage Gothic is a Wizardry-clone

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Crooked Bee's votes: Pillars of Eternity - 5, Tyranny - 4...

Do you see this, guys? This "Obsidian is the most important studio in the world" mentality is not just a Infinitron thing. He is supported by other members of the staff 100%. The next time you decide to blame Infinitron for the cuckhold behavior of the Codex, check some facts first.

Prime Junta

Do you see this, guys? This "Obsidian is the most important studio in the world" mentality is not just a Infinitron thing. He is supported by other members of the staff 100%.

The one Codexian mortal sin: liking a RPG.

fanboy.png

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Crooked Bee's votes: Pillars of Eternity - 5, Tyranny - 4...

Do you see this, guys? This "Obsidian is the most important studio in the world" mentality is not just a Infinitron thing. He is supported by other members of the staff 100%.

If Obsidian isn't the most important gaming studio in the world, then who else is?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Witcher 3 is a good game, but what should be discussed is how high Valkyria Chronicles is. I think the Codex is secretly in love with anime, especially if it has cute girls and romances.

It has a unique, fun combat system and interesting scenarios.

Israfael

Arcane
How Codexian it is that a non-RPG is at the top of the list. Ah well, still a lot of good games to re-play or play.

Zeriel

Arcane

lol
You're one to talk.

Let's see at some of your votes:

Dark Souls - 5, DSII - 4, DSIII - 5, Deus Ex: MD - 4, Disgaea - 4, Elminage Gothic - 4, Final Fantasy games 4-5-4-5-5, FTL - 4, GoT - 4, Grandia II- 3, Gurumin - 3, I am Setsuna - 3, Labyrinth of Touhou II - 5, Legend of Grimrock II - 3 (why so low?), Pillars of Eternity - 5, Risen 2 - 2 (higher than Witcher, lol), Shadowrun Hongkong - 3 (other Shadowrun games - 2), The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 5, Toukiden - 4, Tyranny - 4...

In general if it's Japanese you will slurp it and ask for seconds, if it's Obsidian - the same. But seriously, rating Risen 2 higher than Witcher 3 is hilarious, same goes for GoT, PoE, Tyranny or any jRPG. Also, jRPGs are aimed at storyfags so WTF? What do you see in them, gameplay is super repetitive in them so if one doesn't like the story these weaboo games are trash.

Can you guys stop confusing "game made in japan" with "JRPG"? It really makes my head spin. It's fucking retarded to pretend Wizardry clones are the same as Final Fantasy clones. I have no bones to pick with the rest of the post, just thought I'd point that out.

Fairfax

Arcane
Users who gave Fallout 4 a 5/5:

Alex2C
Desslock
Ed123
JC Anejo
Mastermind
mbpopolano24
Rpguy
skally_wag
Ubykh

4/5:

_Fox_
Carnarium
Dangersaurus
Djino
fabrulana
Gwendo
HiddenX
Korron
krathax
LarsWestergren
Mortmal
Otree
Perkel
rbenchley
Renquist
Schizophrenic monolog
TT1
Tyrion8338
Vstakan
Zep Zepo
zerosum

:shitandpiss:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Can you guys stop confusing "RPG game made in japan" with "JRPG"? It really makes my head spin. It's fucking retarded to pretend Wizardry clones are the same as Final Fantasy clones. I have no bones to pick with the rest of the post, just thought I'd point that out.
Fixed.
It's an RPG made in Japan, hence jRPG is appropriate I would say. Just because it doesn't have chocobos it doesn't mean it's not a jRPG. inb4 "what is an (j)RPG".

Zeriel

Arcane
Can you guys stop confusing "RPG game made in japan" with "JRPG"? It really makes my head spin. It's fucking retarded to pretend Wizardry clones are the same as Final Fantasy clones. I have no bones to pick with the rest of the post, just thought I'd point that out.
Fixed.
It's an RPG made in Japan, hence jRPG is appropriate I would say. Just because it doesn't have chocobos it doesn't mean it's not a jRPG. inb4 "what is an (j)RPG".

I suppose I'm showing my age, then. When internet was young, JRPG referred exclusively to games like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc because that was most of the output coming out of japan. Referring to niche dungeon crawlers as JRPGs really triggers my autism, but I guess I'll just have to learn to let it go.

pippin

Well, the Wizardry formula has been kept alive by JRPGs whether you like it or not. If you like a japanese wizardry clone, you like jrpgs. Don't be racist :M

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Users who gave Fallout 4 a 5/5:

Alex2C
Desslock
Ed123
JC Anejo
Mastermind
mbpopolano24
Rpguy
skally_wag
Ubykh

4/5:

_Fox_
Carnarium
Dangersaurus
Djino
fabrulana
Gwendo
HiddenX
Korron
krathax
LarsWestergren
Mortmal
Otree
Perkel
rbenchley
Renquist
Schizophrenic monolog
TT1
Tyrion8338
Vstakan
Zep Zepo
zerosum

I'm saving this for future reference

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom