Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thing is, they didn't have long-winded animations for attacks.
There is talk about queuing actions. So for the player turn at least you won't have to sit there watching every animation before you do the next thing.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno I think it's kinda cool and different, but I'm not a blobber grognard (blobnard?)

TBH I think a different take on the formula is something the blobber genre needs right now. Of course it could end up failing anyway.
Then if they want to innovate so much then do a new IP called Fargo's Flaming Cock or whatever but why fuck around with a formuka that worked for 15 years tikk every publisher wanted the Next Doom (Fargo included) just why this?

V_K

Arcane
There is talk about queuing actions. So for the player turn at least you won't have to sit there watching every animation before you do the next thing.
But there's no such system for enemies, and also there were huge delays at the beginning, when the enemies poured out of a passage, and between the turns when the creature passed through.

Turok

Erudite
Project Update #33: The Bard's Tale IV by inXile entertainment

After see the video i feel like i am italian today, i can ask for a refund?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
3750da1150ff072a8c4a6c9d49f1c866.jpg

V_K

Arcane
Also, I wonder how would this queuing actually work, especially with abilities that move enemies around, like that witch spell at 5:15 followed by a warrior attack. Will we still have to wait for the animations to play one after another after giving orders? If not, will the warrior hit the enemy before the animation transporting it in front of him plays out? Or will he miss that enemy, thus the game punishing the player for not watching the animations?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, I wonder how would this queuing actually work, especially with abilities that move enemie around, like that witch spell at 5:15 followed by a warrior attack.
Well, we've mentioned Albion before and in that game if you targeted a square that was empty by the time your action came up in the queue, you just swung at empty air wasting your action.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My first impression of the combat system (and not having read any other comments), was not very good: slow, not very tactical, and enemies are HP sponges.

V_K

Arcane
Also, I wonder how would this queuing actually work, especially with abilities that move enemie around, like that witch spell at 5:15 followed by a warrior attack.
Well, we've mentioned Albion before and in that game if you targeted a square that was empty by the time your action came up in the queue, you just swung at empty air wasting your action.
Yes, but Albion was phase-based, and BT4 isn't. The actions are supposed to happen at the same moment you picked them.
What I'm saying is, if whether the animation finished playing or not actually affects battlefield composition, then this queuing system makes no sense. No one in their right mind would use it as it puts the player at a disadvantage.
And if animations are just effects, and actual moving of the enemy is instant, it'll just look funny.
So, basically, the only way to not make turn-based combat in 3D slow as fuck is not to use long cinematic animations.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Maybe they should add an option to disable animations for those who want to have the "extra oldschool feel" of Bard's Tale.

Zombra, you have connections there - make them count.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually would like the game if it was like this when released...I think?

The thing is, this is obviously a scripted vertical slice created just for the show. So basically, not even remotely close to the final product, if we judge by past experiences

Nyast

Cipher
I'm confused by that video. I thought the game was supposed to be a grid-based blobber ? In this vid the guy was free-roaming like in a Skyrim dungeon. Give me back my grid !

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm confused by that video. I thought the game was supposed to be a grid-based blobber ? In this vid the guy was free-roaming like in a Skyrim dungeon. Give me back my grid !

It's supposed to have an option to snap yourself to a grid.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You cannot make a game where you walk 3 minutes straight without a single combat and call that "Bard's Tale". :argh:

Jokes aside, combat looks okay-ish (if very mobile-friendly) but clearly this will be dumber and more "cinematic" than any other blobber. Grimrock II this is not. MAYBE the stairs on the right only reform if you have magic X, otherwise you must go through the left and fight the goblins, and maybe there will be more combat and this was just for presentation purposes, but the sluggish pace of the combat doesn't give the impression you'll fight a lot.

Also, I really doubt InXile can put out more than 10-15hs of content with those specs (and that pace).

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You cannot make a game where you walk 3 minutes straight without a single combat and call that "Bard's Tale". :argh:
It's A Demo(TM)

What I really don't get is what is so "mobile game" about the combat. My personal biggest peeve with the video (apart from the voice acting which is grounds for an ethnic cleansing) would be the "suddenly second phase" thing, which I HATE.

Deleted Member 16721

Looks great. Will likely be more cinematic, less combat-focused with more set pieces, unique encounters and more involved battles, but that's cool. It will be a change of pace from other dungeon-crawlers, I think. Good stuff. :)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Click to insert orb, good puzzles on the horizon.

More seriously and more important at this point, The combat system looks fine to me.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
They mentioned that this game may be a candidate for VR, though I doubt that combat system would work there very well.

Deleted Member 16721

Click to insert orb, good puzzles on the horizon.

That's not much of a puzzle there. More of a world interaction that essentially gives an excuse for a fancy cutscene or graphical effect. At least, the one in the video was like that. It's just a presentation video so maybe the game will have more involved or trickier situations.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They mentioned that this game may be a candidate for VR, though I doubt that combat system would work there very well.

Did they actually mention that somewhere or are you just repeating my theory from earlier ITT?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom