Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A "first look" at combat at this stage in development? Yeah, it probably is scripted to some extent.

Brian Fargo
We are not wild about the way characters pop when they talk so remember this is WIP.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Interesting combat system... I must watch a 3rd time now to fully understand

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The combat makes it look like a mobile game? Or am I being overly pessimistic?

Graphics are really nice though

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't like the grafics, everything looks like it's made of polished clay.

It looks sloooooooooooooooow. Blobbers need fast and snappy animations. Should look like a comic book frame when things attack, block, etc.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ah... I can see now how they make 99 berserkers. They would just add them on and on... like this alien monster in the end continues or "evolves" the battle.
Better than stacked creatures.

V_K

Arcane
Between the overproduced visuals and the dumb banter, it looks like what they really wanted to do was Stonekeep 2, but they knew they couldn't cheat people out of their money with a failed IP.

Dorateen

Arcane
This is Bard's Tale trying to be Wizardry 8 and latter Might & Magic, especially with regard to characters commenting on their surroundings and in battle.

And that's a bad thing?

Not at all. Players should adjust their expectations accordingly. IV was never going to look or play like the original series, but follow in the footsteps of other post 2000 dungeon crawlers. The animation and acting in this sample video is over the top and perhaps unnecessary in some places. But I could still enjoy it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Between the overproduced visuals and the dumb banter, it looks like what they really wanted to do was Stonekeep 2, but they knew they couldn't cheat people out of their money with a failed IP.

I got a Stonekeep vibe from it as well. I guess when Fargo creates blobbers, they all look the same. And I actually liked Stonekeep.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The chatter and banter gave me the lols. It already feels better than the random conversations in Dragon Age.

Regarding the combat... I also feel there is too much "bloat", filler-content"... and also a bit too cinematic, theatric. But it still looks kinda cool, and seems a bit snappier and faster than Wiz8

Mightmagic

Augur
Stonekeep was a very good game and inspired by the bard's tale. If bard's tale was a stonekeep 2, it will be very good. I like very muche stonekeep.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I thought it was going to be on par with Grimrock. Looks like a mobile game for 8 year olds. Thanks to Infinitron and the drama he caused with the blacklist, I refunded it back then and am now happy that I did.

Mightmagic

Augur

Graphics are really nice though
Graphics are very good. If only M&MX had these graphics. Maybe this game would have better sales.

UI is ugly and combat system is interesting. I expect more info and gameplay video.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That looks awful, the graphics and animation seem ok if a bit too cartoonish but the combat itself and the cringe worthy paperdoll interactions was fucking nonsense. I mean look at that shit those grids and the paperdolls... a fucking shame
They could look at Grimrock or Xulima for a Modern take on combat or even go more old school approach like Wizardry 8 but noooo they wanted to do a hip and funny piece of shit like their previous Bards Tale
Fucking decline
:killit:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah somehow those 2d portraits don't work in a 3d grid. Xulima did a much better job.

Banter is stupid. Enemies' "jokes" are stupid. Is this how original BTs were?

Mightmagic

Augur
Yeah somehow those 2d portraits don't work in a 3d grid. Xulima did a much better job.

Banter is stupid. Enemies' "jokes" are stupid. Is this how original BTs were?
Brian Fargoil y a 1 heure
We are not wild about the way characters pop when they talk so remember this is WIP.
"Obviously, this is still in development and there are things we’re not in love with yet. Namely, the characters on the HUD are still at a first pass. We will be updating their visual look and likely not have them bouncing around as they speak" -inXile

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I mean how fucking hard would it have been to come up with a turn based combat that looks like Grimrock ffs?
Who the fuck asked for a grid?
They want to do an old school blobber then they should stick to an old school design; throw some pretty graphics, some flashy spell effects, a clever puzzle or two (like Grimrock) an voila a fucking old school style bloober with modern graphics and even an automap

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I dunno I think it's kinda cool and different, but I'm not a blobber grognard (blobnard?)

TBH I think a different take on the formula is something the blobber genre needs right now. Of course it could end up failing anyway.

V_K

Arcane
It's not that innovative, Amberstar-Ambermoon-Albion had exactly the same (only larger, 6x5) grid, split between PCs and enemies. Thing is, they didn't have long-winded animations for attacks.
The opportunity system does seem new, but I'm not sure it's good.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Who the fuck asked for a grid?
They want to do an old school blobber then they should stick to an old school design; throw some pretty graphics, some flashy spell effects, a clever puzzle or two (like Grimrock) an voila a fucking old school style bloober with modern graphics and even an automap

:lol:

Actually I think this... spaceship grid... integrates very nicely with the environment. However I agree with you that a classic oldschool GUI, oldschool portraits would have been better.

I also feel there are too much effects bubbling around.... i.e. health bubbles appearing and disappearing in the GUI is annoying.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's not that innovative, Amberstar-Ambermoon-Albion had exactly the same (only larger, 6x5) grid, split between PCs and enemies. Thing is, they didn't have long-winded animations for attacks.
The opportunity system does seem new, but I'm not sure it's good.

Sure but not many people remember those. My point was that going for today's all-too-common "Grimrock clone" approach is a non-starter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom