Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Time to pull the trigger? Additional ~1€ for Scars of Freedom DLC.

Jinn

Arcane

I would absolutely say Hard West is worth that money, as long as you know what you're getting into. It's a scenario based tactics game with limited stats and mechanics, meaning that you're not going to be playing with the same characters the whole time, nor is there much character building. I didn't really realize this when I got it and kind of felt disappointed, but once I readjusted my perspective on what kind of game it was, I enjoyed it a lot. I still want to play that DLC too.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks for reminder - got Scar of Freedom. Only played few scenarios and liked it, just need to finish some things before reinstall.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Two games are free to try this weekends.

I vaguely remember the latter got some hype by Brian Fargo around the release.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If it's Russian version with last patch, then cars will be open without lockpick. If it is english, then cars might be doesn't opening even with lockpicks. With this bug can easy recognize version of game :D
But i'm guess, what that's english version with russian sounds.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
They're Eastern European so I'm going to hazard a guess that they're filled with cool, innovative ideas but let down by bugs and an overall lack of polish.

I resisted for a long time, thought I would not like it. I have played maybe 5-6 hours so far and have to admit that so far it is much better than I had expected. So far the battles have been creative and fun. Maybe it will get boring and drag on eventually but so far I really like it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's out? Cool
Just like Xenus2 - White Gold you have to install Wesp5 patch (before he started vivisecting VtM: Bloodlines for decade) and rusian voices pack.

Are you familiar with Boiling Point and Xenus 2? Same devs, same style except IN SPACE.

Never heard of them either. Good games?
er no, they're like trash with cool ideas and it looks good on paper and screenshots, then you start playing and start hating videogames and start doing something productive and not play this shit.
They're open world but not like other open world games. You don't have points of interests on maps to get there and do thing,
It feels like huge world where you're armed tourist/wanderer. Money shortage will be your problem for long, long time...

I don't know how RPG and faction system in Precursor work, in previous games you got bunch of factions that you can work with or against. And RPG system was Deus Ex like - you are fighter/soldier/agent bug fucking sux with guns.

Do any of these games, xenus, precursors etc. come with third person cam or is it fps all the way?
first person non stop
maybe 1st game have 3rd view camera when you pilot helicopter Apache-thing, I fondlt remember some screenshot but that might be promotional fake picture...

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do any of these games, xenus, precursors etc. come with third person cam or is it fps all the way?

Help me, Codex. Is it worth it at this price? Or do you need the DLCs to enjoy this thing?

I only really like playing the skaven and dont have any DLC. I enjoyed the game for awhile, I have played 60-70 hours so I have certainly got my moneys worth. There are many very good things about the game, but its hard not to come away with the feeling that it could be so much more. The tactical parts of the game are fun, and so is building your squad-- its just that it ultimately feels so pointless. It needs a better reason to keep doing it. The games single player campaign just lacks something.

It really feels like somebody could take what they have created and make a very, very good game from it all, and I hope it happens some day. As it stands it is still a fun game to play, but for me I just ran out of incentive to keep going around the 50-60 hour mark, which is further along than 90% of the games I play I have to admit.

I think what ruined it finally fore me was coming to the conclusion it was all level scaled, it made continuing feel pointless since the game would always present around the same level of challenge no matter how well or poor I was doing.

Each squad member is given a point total which is based on the members skills and abilities as well as what loot you currently equip them with. So finding a cool new powerful item just means your squads point rating will increase which results in stronger and/or more enemies next battle. Un-equipping the item will lower the parties point total and cause the opposite to occur. The same applies to leveling up.

Once you realize this, there is no point to leveling up or equipping better items and for me that meant I completely lost interest in playing since there was no point. The challenge would always be about the same no matter what I did. I don't understand this kind of game design, it is the single worst thing for me to discover about a game.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What a surprise - Precursor on steam comes with voice pack files so you don't need to install them by yourself.
On the other hand - people complain that there are no patches. Sure - they could ask Wesp for permission but we must take note that they're easterneuropean savages so making deal is some kind of molecular science for them, almost alien concept.

and now this
In the files there is a "Protection" application, and when I launched it there was an option to "Check driver" and when I did, it said that the driver was not installed.

So if that's StarForce, then it does come with the game, but it doesnt install itself, so I'm guessing it's just a remnant.
ohfuksake

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire finally released on Steam:

I thought they'd forgotten about it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Help me, Codex. Is it worth it at this price? Or do you need the DLCs to enjoy this thing?

I think it's worth it - the DLC is only necessary if you want / like the warbands, but in the base game, you have 4 war bands to explore which will take some time. You can always get the DLC at a discount.

Last edited:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.

I know the sale has passed for now, but $12 is a pretty great deal. I started playing it only recently and have put about 30 hours in, having experimented with only one warband so far (which means +1 to vonAchdorf and his take on the DLC). The first week with a given warband can be kind of a bitch: RNG can really screw you in this game, which is fine, but you don't have many resources to bounce back from failure with in the early game. So be prepared to restart a couple of times and take it as a learning experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom