Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh: Feudal Era Dark Souls

sullynathan

Arcane
I've played the demo and this time I actually beat some bosses.

As you know, since the last demo I beat Bloodborne and this game reminds me more of it. The game isn't as difficult as I remember, no enemy gave me much trouble except the 2nd samurai boss.

I'm still not completely sure how you increase healing. I started off with 3 elixirs then reached up to 8, but I started respawning with 5 elixirs then the number went up to 6.

The first boss suffers from giant souls boss syndrome. It's too big and can easily be beaten by just sticking to its body. The 2nd phase has the boss going retarded with this super long combo move and then the boss also has some shitty grab that I'm hoping is fixed by release.

The first level actually isn't large after coming back from bloodborne. I'm also surprised by how many healing shrines were in that one level, it must have been 5 or 6 of them. It felt smaller than the 2nd demo, but they did remove the rooftop area from the previous demo so I'm fine with that.
The Co op is done bloodborne style but by the use of the shrines instead of bells. I actually found someone which was surprising.

Now the 2nd boss was more my style. He was quick and relied more on skill to beat but I'm calling bs on some of his attacks. He moves so quickly certain times that it's ridiculous and he reminds me of dark souls 3 bosses/enemies with poise that you don't have.

sullynathan

Arcane
New Trailer

I'm playing the twilight realm now and I like what they've done with it in comparison to the Souls games. New loot, new enemies and not just red phantoms, new enemy placements, and the replacement of all low level enemies plus a different color pallet made the twilight real feel quite different. The co-op is iffy thought, I tried playing with someone through the password matchmaking and it didn't work.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Beat demo using the Kusarigama, game is still gud, still D1P or close to it. Main big difference mechanically seems to be that they made "Ki-pulse on dodge" a skill that you can unlock separately for every stance - seems like a good thing for the combat overall, but it's kind of a pity that a major difference between stances was removed that way.

New weapon type is cool, very different from the traditional ones and definitely requires a separate approach. Maybe I'll play through it again later to see if they've made axes/hammers more interesting.

This demo was really easy in terms of enemy placement and enemies you faced compared to the previous ones, I guess they made sure everyone could beat it within the ~36 hours it's avaible.

Particularly visible in the Twilight realm, where the first level in the Beta was an absolute bloodbath full of asshole enemy placements Tanimura himself would be proud of. This one, on the other hand, was only a modest increase over normal mode.

sullynathan

Arcane
Does anyone fear that PvP won't be good with this style of combat? I can already see it having less variety than the souls games, then you have how long it takes to find people, the combat can be spam heavy and spear seems like the optimal weapon for this game.

New weapon type is cool
is the new weapon type the ball and chain thing?

"Ki-pulse on dodge"
:philosoraptor:I didn't know that was a skill. I just bought a whole bunch of shit and once in a while when I dodge my ki-pulsed and other times it didn't. Another weird thing that is happening now that didn't happen before is how it feels like the game is a bit less responsive. When I press buttons, its like the game doesn't recognize it.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Yasuke will be in the game

T1foFQW.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This demo was really easy in terms of enemy placement and enemies you faced compared to the previous ones, I guess they made sure everyone could beat it within the ~36 hours it's avaible.

I think they intend to keep the game that way.

Soul-1 (DE): What was the experience like for the team to receive feedback from the alpha and beta tests and to work on the game according to the feedback?
We received overwhelming feedback from users that said that they really enjoyed playing the game. Having said that, there were some parts of the game which people felt were unreasonably difficult, because there are just simply too many challenging enemies and so we refined the artificial intelligence of the enemies and made the challenge something that players could be more accepting of.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Taking Famitsu scores seriously is like taking BioWare seriously when they say that they are making a game with an amazing story.

sullynathan

Arcane
There are 11 trophies for 11 missions. I'm assuming that means 11 bosses too since that's what the demo had and the fact that the areas weren't that long either doesn't sound good.

There are 11 trophies for 11 missions. I'm assuming that means 11 bosses too since that's what the demo had and the fact that the areas weren't that long either doesn't sound good.

Team Ninja has announced in interviews the campaign is 70+ hours long. And that is just the main quest.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane

11 trophies for beating 11 missions are the main story, or are the trophies awarded for beating the side missions that appeared on the world map during one of the betas? The main story makes more sense, unless the sidequests are considered a challenge. Maybe the 11 missions are stage-based in the vein of Demon's Souls, i.e. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. etc. (even if it isn't specifically designated as such) with the trophy being given out after beating the very end of said stage.

sullynathan

Arcane

11 trophies for beating 11 missions are the main story, or are the trophies awarded for beating the side missions that appeared on the world map during one of the betas? The main story makes more sense, unless the sidequests are considered a challenge. Maybe the 11 missions are stage-based in the vein of Demon's Souls, i.e. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc. etc. (even if it isn't specifically designated as such) with the trophy being given out after beating the very end of said stage.
Yeah I'm seeing there's more bosses than I thought but a few bosses appear 3 times throughout the different missions.
Still seems that it's one boss per mission.

sullynathan

Arcane
Would buy but no money:negative:
One thing I will say is that so far the game has overused bosses more than I'd like and it doesn't have a boss that looks like it stands out

One thing I will say is that so far the game has overused bosses more than I'd like and it doesn't have a boss that looks like it stands out

I thought the bosses ALL stood out. Except the spider boss, she's not as good looking as Quelaag in Dark Souls.

sullynathan

Arcane

I thought the bosses ALL stood out. Except the spider boss, she's not as good looking as Quelaag in Dark Souls.
I've been watching a Walkthrough of all the bosses and so far none stands it.

The game reuses the giant horned ogre boss like 3 times, the samurai from the demo is reused twice, the dog boss is reused twice, two different samurai bosses are reused twice, toad boss twice and I'm sure there's more. It's weird that they'd do this since they already have twilight mode which let's you fight the same boss again already.

The white Tiger boss certainly looks cool though and so far it seems like there might be just one gimmick boss.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom