Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

All current stretch goals feel like they could have done them with out all the extra money.

All the stretch goals so far sound like stuff that's already included in the game.

I wouldn't be too convinced that all the mechanics-related stuff is "already in the game". It seems to me like most of the effort that has gone into the game's development over the past year is technical. Graphics, engine features. The mechanics at this point could still be largely a copy-paste of PoE1, waiting to be modified.
So we can assume that as of now casters still have Vancian Magic and Sawyer can play the game with it to his heart's content :negative:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I just imagining things, or the length of the campaign decrased from 35 days left to 22 days left since the morning?

Turjan

Arcane
Am I just imagining things, or the length of the campaign decrased from 35 days left to 22 days left since the morning?
I guess your LSD trip phased out. The campaign started with something around 30 or 29 days.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=249#updates

Update 6: Custom AI Scripting is in the Game!

Once again, we're blown away by the support and backing we're receiving from fans of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. It's a thrill for our entire development team to be able to continue to improve and add to the game as we continue to reach our crowdfunding stretch goals.

In addition to localizing Pillars II into Korean, our stretch goal announcement for $2.4 million is to place additional voice-over audio into Pillars II for a variety of characters, both adding voices to some previously unvoiced characters, and expanding voice sets for characters with already limited voices. While this won't mean every line of dialogue or text is voiced, it will significantly expand the amount of spoken-word dialogue in the Pillars II experience.

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fc5a0cc10b681b283%2F9accf597b0f3ef31%2F752ea713e68132da%2Fc9976e3bdb80b869

In developing Pillars II, our aim has always been to include as much voice acting as we can. Voice acting brings new depth to characters, enriching the player experience and drawing people further into the game world. With this new stretch goal, our aim is to deliver more consistent voice acting in conversations throughout your journey in the Deadfire Archipelago. Hitting this stretch goal will allow us to fully voice more conversations, more characters, and offer more player-character voice sets to choose from.

As an added bonus, we wanted to announce a new add-on for all of our campaign backers: the Pillars of Eternity hardcover guidebook, Volume II. Below is an image of the guidebook from the Pillars I campaign -- we hope our fans and backers will get as much enjoyment and knowledge from the new edition as they did from the first!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F24a6f41710ad85b7%2Fc91b5c1fd2822861%2F16c86920f84f237a%2F6929db00328c6692

Finally, please stay tuned to the backer channel today, as we will shortly be bringing you a video from Design Director, Josh Sawyer all about multiclassing and some other nifty improvements to the core design in Pillars II!

Ivan

Arcane

@ TRON do you post these before you consume/read them?

i demand a quip from Eder for every animal (and variant!)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Once again, we're blown away by the support and backing we're receiving from fans of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. It's a thrill for our entire development team to be able to continue to improve and add to the game as we continue to reach our crowdfunding stretch goals.

In addition to localizing Pillars II into Korean, our stretch goal announcement for $2.4 million is to place additional voice-over audio into Pillars II for a variety of characters, both adding voices to some previously unvoiced characters, and expanding voice sets for characters with already limited voices. While this won't mean every line of dialogue or text is voiced, it will significantly expand the amount of spoken-word dialogue in the Pillars II experience.

HH5hHiNBqmCNyd1qmcR_rHFcABHH-PfeOpqnl_leslG_vQ4BYZxbdHVDbwkAklq47i5frlTb0bbqbstJcIj1RYz1cR94CB-QzmrUCg4MlImsdsEd_MBhyfARBwnRzB9uVBdlEU3q96BEAcMniTg0H50dE4Ik7UEOpDLaygXltJHw3Cj--QHC63XyzRYPlYQttSnVfWdEs6kqxEei0sDzZKLWYbQF_51qqpfYXlE1Wh6xoYHMlWyL-h30bsV_a4TKaXzrcdcmvymZjpi9grj9GndadpKhiW6WZBDZsPo9AZKLvDbny6PR5jY71B2wy9W7QIj9qIxvpwjBIQDjc53bbTQkrcNWFxBfzBsWBV0AivTiXBiBWhgYLeU_xEmL4SpC2l4A=s0-d-e1-ft

In developing Pillars II, our aim has always been to include as much voice acting as we can. Voice acting brings new depth to characters, enriching the player experience and drawing people further into the game world. With this new stretch goal, our aim is to deliver more consistent voice acting in conversations throughout your journey in the Deadfire Archipelago. Hitting this stretch goal will allow us to fully voice more conversations, more characters, and offer more player-character voice sets to choose from.

As an added bonus, we wanted to announce a new add-on for all of our campaign backers: the Pillars of Eternity hardcover guidebook, Volume II. Below is an image of the guidebook from the Pillars I campaign -- we hope our fans and backers will get as much enjoyment and knowledge from the new edition as they did from the first!

pd_00Mor2rViCd2ieJ4oua8ZNKgzsyqNCY4OGZBHNZadBMzgRq5IpbT5Pfte6KbW7zZbGhUbZ-5O5dfATGMeysX5DNGLMlYrI44T2kwN7vfZ-4fI4pkXkmu3feT0BpKKoebF4h_CCWKE7q24TxytHSRYfF2qgittYYERCM0JrcPwnJaAGuhEfr1a0Ux4IsH9nNbDFU5ti6Pksp-RGmgqWrwiCHytFRJb0FnJzzEOe-RwtgK1WBN9J5vgB7L_Xf4A9Z-pBXcFX8Y01u9rd7PS6Fzu3uX7ryPqfGj2Ryp2Edur41UHCDngSIhWJqNO38sZwetFTJC3RRLG5ve91JynAQ3gqrs5LfrTAs4buhmIwpw1iICi5yfAa1yVwqomJcIwMdWx=s0-d-e1-ft

Finally, please stay tuned to the backer channel today, as we will shortly be bringing you a video from Design Director, Josh Sawyer all about multiclassing and some other nifty improvements to the core design in Pillars II!
I wish they would have more ambient sounds and make the world feel more alive. Especially needed for the cities.

I also think that they should have included Josh's video in the update.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Removing lots of "trash" encounters reduces the number of overall fights.
Hopefully. Both vanilla PoE and TWM are choke full of trash fights. For TWM it's more or less justified as the expansion is an obvious nod to IWD but slaughtering all those Xaurips in the main campaign sure gets old fast.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
TWM isn't "choke full of trash fights." It has a lot of fights, but very few of them are roll-over or trashy. In fact too few if you ask me, especially on PotD.

Turjan

Arcane
Removing lots of "trash" encounters reduces the number of overall fights.
Hopefully. Both vanilla PoE and TWM are choke full of trash fights. For TWM it's more or less justified as the expansion is an obvious nod to IWD but slaughtering all those Xaurips in the main campaign sure gets old fast.
They missed the opportunity to let you decorate the wall of your keep with Xaurip shields and spears. I guess you could have covered the whole thing.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

HH5hHiNBqmCNyd1qmcR_rHFcABHH-PfeOpqnl_leslG_vQ4BYZxbdHVDbwkAklq47i5frlTb0bbqbstJcIj1RYz1cR94CB-QzmrUCg4MlImsdsEd_MBhyfARBwnRzB9uVBdlEU3q96BEAcMniTg0H50dE4Ik7UEOpDLaygXltJHw3Cj--QHC63XyzRYPlYQttSnVfWdEs6kqxEei0sDzZKLWYbQF_51qqpfYXlE1Wh6xoYHMlWyL-h30bsV_a4TKaXzrcdcmvymZjpi9grj9GndadpKhiW6WZBDZsPo9AZKLvDbny6PR5jY71B2wy9W7QIj9qIxvpwjBIQDjc53bbTQkrcNWFxBfzBsWBV0AivTiXBiBWhgYLeU_xEmL4SpC2l4A=s0-d-e1-ft

pd_00Mor2rViCd2ieJ4oua8ZNKgzsyqNCY4OGZBHNZadBMzgRq5IpbT5Pfte6KbW7zZbGhUbZ-5O5dfATGMeysX5DNGLMlYrI44T2kwN7vfZ-4fI4pkXkmu3feT0BpKKoebF4h_CCWKE7q24TxytHSRYfF2qgittYYERCM0JrcPwnJaAGuhEfr1a0Ux4IsH9nNbDFU5ti6Pksp-RGmgqWrwiCHytFRJb0FnJzzEOe-RwtgK1WBN9J5vgB7L_Xf4A9Z-pBXcFX8Y01u9rd7PS6Fzu3uX7ryPqfGj2Ryp2Edur41UHCDngSIhWJqNO38sZwetFTJC3RRLG5ve91JynAQ3gqrs5LfrTAs4buhmIwpw1iICi5yfAa1yVwqomJcIwMdWx=s0-d-e1-ft

Meh, more gigs I need to download on my shitty country-home internet connection and probably not great VO at that.

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
CONSOLE VERSION
Why do you think Obsidians when were asked about making the game compatible with gamepad said "If Divinity: OS could make it, we can too. Nothing is impossible", and now they are butchering the gameplay and dumbing it down? Hell, even changes that are here acknowledged as good (slower battles, longer weapon range so it would be easier to command the party, etc.) sounds like made for consoles in mind. They see how Divinity: OS is doing well or Torment: ToN is awaited on consoles and probably want a piece of that cake too?

It all sounds more and more like Deadfire "Gatling-Mages" Coast Legends for me.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There are three types of encounters:

- Memorable encounters.
- Normal encounters.
- Tedious/Trash encounters.

To draw a Pokémon comparison:

- Gym Leaders/Elite Four/Main Story-related encounters.
- Your usual Pokémon trainer encounters.
- 6-Magikarp trainers and overall weak random encounters everywhere, not to mention Bug Catchers.

I'm fine with trash encounters being over with or significantly reduced. Every encounter in a game should be designed so that the player doesn't think "I don't want to do this, it's boring". Which is the opposite of what has happened in plenty of games I have played, with the major exception being Gothic. Encounters were always fun in that game, even the ones that were push overs, since they added valuable experience.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It all sounds more like Deadfire "Gatling-Mages" Coast Legends for me.

Four spell casts per spell level isn't the same thing as Dragon Age/Sword Coast Legends per-spell cooldown clicking. You should know because before it was patched out, you had it in PoE1 when you reached a high enough level.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
x7VnERt.png

Well... what the fuck... if the average person really does play PoE like this, then this is definitely depressing. Throws resource management out the window and makes the game shitty to play. I can see wanting to try to make it a better experience for them, but I think PoE ended up in a really good place systems wise, and I don't think it needed fixing.

This surprises you how? This is how most people played the IE games which were the primary inspiration for PoE and the reason it was funded.

And by the by, this is also how PoE plays at lower difficulties due to the number of available camping supplies. I've finished the game on hard and I didn't really have to conserve any resources beyond the very first levels. I sincerely doubt that any significant number of players actually played and finished the game on potd where serious resource management actually might be an issue (although I don't know this since I've only played the game on hard).

As for if the changes affect gameplay in a positive or negative way (or not at all) is hard to know since it depends on many other systems which haven't been explained how they change to accommodate for this.

Surprised me because I thought limiting camping supplies in PoE would get people in a resource management mindset, but apparently it doesn't. I enjoyed PoE because I had to think about resource management since I couldn't rest after every fight. This is something that was not really necessary to think about in the IE games, and I feel it was an interesting idea to limit it in PoE

A solution to this could be to remove the camping supply limits on easy and normal (the people who don't want to deal with resource management are more likely to be playing on these difficulties) while maintaining the limit of 2 on hard and PotD, and keeping the systems from PoE 3.0. It does upset me that after spending so long to get the game is in such a good place, they'd mess with it all over again in such a dramatic manner as if none of that evolutive process mattered.

Should make resting like in Knights of the Chalice, you can't leave the dungeon/area to rest, and you can rest just in couple specific places. Learn to play and git gud, casuals.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One thing PoE did not use to balance spells was time, by the way, aka prep casting. All spells were cast very quickly. If some spells would be cast instantly while others longer it would make things more interesting (in a system where all spells are per-encounter). It is a RTwP game after all, use that ffs. Make that Interrupt value useful.

That's actually brilliant. Instead of going magic spam for tough encounters, force the casters to channel the big, battle tide changing spells for a long time and to focus the rest of the party on protecting the rooted and helpless casters.
That way you can still have the spells be really powerfull, but there is a high cost and risk involved. And no resting needed.
I love this idea!

Sizzle

Arcane
Should make resting like in Knights of the Chalice, you can't leave the dungeon/area to rest, and you can rest just in couple specific places. Learn to play and git gud, casuals.

Thought the resting mechanic in PoE1 worked pretty well (especially with the revamped survival skill) for both good average players, as well as the more... casual, don't-mind-backtracking-to-the-keep-to-rest-after-every-fight sort.

Starwars

Arcane
Ugh, goddamnit... I just realized that the Collector's Edition tier only has the digital version of the guidebook. I just assumed that it would have the hardcover book as was the case with the Collector's Edtion for the first game. Really feels like it should be included in that tier I think. I mean... it's a Collector's Edition for crying out loud.
Unless I'm misremembering of course and it was an add-on.

That book was the best part of the package, easily... may drop my pledge to the "usual" box version and just get the book as an add-on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom