Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Would make a good documentary much akin to The King of Kong. Who is going to play MCA?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think TTON in particular will highlight how prolific MCA is. With all this stretch goal controversy, it's worth reminding that MCA single-handedly wrote PS:T's 7 companions, even though Guido wanted to cut all of them. The TTON team had 4 years to deliver 9 companions and the game will ship with 6. All humans, and from what I've seen in the beta, inferior to PS:T companions.

:bravo:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Well, to be honest, you didn’t bully Bubbles or deleted his reviews, so the comparison is not accurate.

Fairfax

Arcane

Interesting. As one of the partners and Creative Director, I really doubt the game would've entered pre-production without him knowing about it. I'd guess someone SE talked to Feargus offhand about the possibility and he's kind of boasting.

And all that in one year! Don't forget.
Yes. I included that at first, but edited out because it's possible he'd written stuff for some of them before, specially Morte.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Yes. I included that at first, but edited out because it's possible he'd written stuff for some of them before, specially Morte.

I wanna know where they took the narrative concept. I remember they mention a previous game at Interplay that was canceled that and had a character with amnesia, etc. Memento was released around the same year with a similar concept. Do you guys if there is any fiction behind that inspired them?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I want to know why they thought skipping Fallout was such a good idea? Maybe they wouldn't regret so much if they toughed it out and created a lasting franchise.

karfhud

Augur
I think TTON in particular will highlight how prolific MCA is. With all this stretch goal controversy, it's worth reminding that MCA single-handedly wrote PS:T's 7 companions, even though Guido wanted to cut all of them. The TTON team had 4 years to deliver 9 companions and the game will ship with 6. All humans, and from what I've seen in the beta, inferior to PS:T companions.

:bravo:

He did work insane hours, though.

Fairfax

Arcane

I wanna know where they took the narrative concept. I remember they mention a previous game at Interplay that was canceled that and had a character with amnesia, etc. Memento was released around the same year with a similar concept. Do you guys if there is any fiction behind that inspired them?
Inspired PS:T? Memento came out after PS:T. The amnesiac protagonist was inspired by Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber. Some of MCA's detractors claim he took much of PS:T's premise from a Planescape novel called Pages of Pain, but I think it was released after he'd already started to work on the game, and AFAIK he's never mentioned it.

Or did you mean the TTON team? They never acknowledged it, but I'm pretty sure MCA's unused contribution to the Project Eternity pitch influenced it:

(0:00 - 0:15)

"One good life. An extraordinary life.
What levy must be paid for such a thing?"

"If the gods won't answer, it's for us to the decide."

I'd say that's rather close to TTON's "what does one life matter?".

I want to know why they thought skipping Fallout was such a good idea? Maybe they wouldn't regret so much if they toughed it out and created a lasting franchise.
It was Interplay wanting to make a quick buck. While BIS made IWD, another division made Fallout: Tactics.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sure, but they started development once, then another time, then they did that, right? The wasted time on Icewind Dale shit is what pisses me off.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Inspired PS:T? Memento came out after PS:T. The amnesiac protagonist was inspired by Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I never said that PS:T was inspired by Memento. I suspected that both were inspired by the same book.

Fairfax

Arcane
Sure, but they started development once, then another time, then they did that, right? The wasted time on Icewind Dale shit is what pisses me off.
The other time they had to focus on IWD2 and BG3 instead, while Interplay made FO:BOS.

Inspired PS:T? Memento came out after PS:T. The amnesiac protagonist was inspired by Zelazny's Nine Princes of Amber.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. I never said that PS:T was inspired by Memento. I suspected that both were inspired by the same book.
This was years after PS:T, so he mentions more recent stuff, but also inspirations for PS:T:

Zelazny was a big influence, as was Robert Pirsig (outlook on life and craft, as well as how to approach writer’s block when you’re stuck), Orson Scott Card (Ender’s Game appealed to my gamer instincts), David Gerrold, Harlan Ellison, and a number of graphic novel authors: Alan Moore, Garth Ennis (his run on Hellblazer was amazing), Bill Willingham (Elementals – the fact that the heroes in that comic could suffer grievous harm and regenerate was a big source of inspiration for the Nameless One’s ability to recover in Planescape yet leave parts of his body behind), Grant Morrison (Doom Patrol: Crawling from the Wreckage all the way until the end of the run, Animal Man, etc.-and Grant Morrison’s run on Doom Patrol was the source of inspiration for the pregnant alley in Planescape: Torment-Morrison introduced a character called “Danny the Street” in Doom Patrol who was a living street who was also a transvestite, and I’ve never gotten that character idea out of my head). I also read a lot of Choose Your Own Adventure books, which also helps train you for game development.

As far as movies go, most of the Coen Brothers movies were a big source (esp. Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, and Miller’s Crossing). In terms of games, Bard’s Tale 2 allowed me to realize a game could be my gamemaster and set me down the road of computer game development, and after that Wasteland, Ultima Underworld, System Shock 2, Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy III, Myth, and more all ended up being big influences on me for different reasons.

Delterius

Arcane
Would make a good documentary much akin to The King of Kong. Who is going to play MCA?
That's not how documentaries work

Apologies. Docudrama.
Okay everyone. I got the poster covered.

PgYTOzS.jpg

I was sort of wondering if I was interpreting some of his previous tweets about Obsidian unkindly, but then he goes and validates me by hatewatching an hour-long Obsidian interview and livetweeting it with "nice bullshit, retard!"
We need an expert on this.

Burning Bridges

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, I just asked what his recent tweets mean, those above my post, but with my language skill it was shot to the foot.
But I aslo always wondered what MCA mean too, thanks. :D

Quillon

Arcane
I understood what you mean by not understanding what MCA means, do you mean me?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom