Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disgaea released on Steam

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
On one hand I kind of want this.
On the other, I am not touching anything NIS America put their cancerous hands on.
Grab PS2 emulator.

Arthandas

Prophet
I was pretty impressed with it, and it's been polished since then quite a bit over the years with all the ports and remakes and such. Difficulty of the main story is going to be low, especially if you get side tracked with optional content, which can level past it very quickly if you're competent. But the great thing about the optional stuff is there is always more of it and you're not forced to take baby steps into it. So how difficult that part of the game is depends on how much risk you're willing to take. If you want to try taking on enemies three times your level by some combination of buffs, glass cannon strategy, and whatever else you can find to abuse, you're free to do that, and the potential rewards are there for the taking..
Meh, a dealbreaker. Unless someone figures out how to edit enemy stats via Cheat Engine like in FFXIII-2.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Old:
Map_Texture_Old_5.png

New:
Map_Texture_New_5.png
This makes no fucking sense... just how adding BLOOOOOOOOM over everything to the point you can't see the fucking ground is "better"? And what the hell is going on on the wall texture at the bottom left side?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Considering that this was probably outsourced to the lowest cost port company,it could always be worse.
From the port report the performance seems to be fine,which is all that matters.
The real question is what numbers is nisa looking for this to be actually considered a worthwhile endeavor.
Considering danganronpa low numbers(20k ) anything above 50k might be a distant dream for nisa.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Old:
Map_Texture_Old_5.png

New:
Map_Texture_New_5.png
This makes no fucking sense... just how adding BLOOOOOOOOM over everything to the point you can't see the fucking ground is "better"? And what the hell is going on on the wall texture at the bottom left side?

If those shadows are dynamic, then at the very least they completely fucked up the shaders.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Considering that this was probably outsourced to the lowest cost port company,it could always be worse.
From the port report the performance seems to be fine,which is all that matters.
The real question is what numbers is nisa looking for this to be actually considered a worthwhile endeavor.
Considering danganronpa low numbers(20k ) anything above 50k might be a distant dream for nisa.

PC games are mostly over time, not in the first week like consoles.

Literally higher requirements than emulating the game, and it still has performance issues. I could have ported this game better, it would have taken 10s to zip up the console version with an emulator.

NIS, please contact me if you plan to port future games of the Disgaea or similar series. I'll offer you a very competitive rate and guaranteed better results that this.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, I bought it, fiddled around a few minutes and it is not as bad as the destructoid article makes it believe.
The new gfx options look like shit, no arguing about that. Avoid them like the plague.
The new map textures are cool. At first I thought its weird that the map is much more hi-res than the character sprites but they blend in together nicely.
The tearing without Vsync is maddening, and with Vsync on it is locked to ~25Hz I guess. But it doesn't bother me at all in this game. The scrolling is a bit laggy of course, but other than that you won't notice.
Keys are fully rebindable. Mouse support can be disabled, but it works fine. I have no clue what the guy is bitching about. Mouse scrolling on the screen's edges doesn't work tho.
New UI is bland but serviceable. You can switch to the original UI, but that's barely readable.
Didn't encounter freezes or severe FPS tanks on my notebook with ULV Processor and on-board graphics.
The game itself is exactly the same Disgaea as the PS2 version with all its annoyances like unskippable cutscenes and dialogues and so. I don't think they changed any of its content.

So it is a bad port for sure, but it's nowhere near unplayable.

Perkel

Arcane
Well main take away from that is that they will bring every disagea title to steam.
That is good news.

My favorite one was D3.

Martius

Liturgist
http://t-ono.net/gaming-news/nis-america-2016-press-event-roundup-report.html
Release of More Disgaea for PC
They are definitely interested but they want to first gauge some of the feedback and reactions for the PC release the first Disgaea. They also chose the first game so that players new to the series can start from the beginning with the original gameplay and progress with the natural evolution of enhancements and updates in later titles if they continue to release Disgaea for PC.

As Disgaea is developed in house, it also makes it easier to port to the PC compared to some of the other games they license and distribute.

Looks like it! I just wonder how long it will take for next one. Hopefully they can hit good balance.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/877455595174544843

New Patch & Team Fortress 2 and Disgaea PC Team up With New Cosmetic Items!

TF2_DPC_MDLS.jpg

Hi Everyone,

First off, we want to give a huge thank you to our community. You have all been wonderful and extremely helpful. Thank you for making our experience on Steam awesome!

This week, we have updated Disgaea PC with some fixes and tweaks, both major and minor. We know that our launch was a little rocky, but the devs have been working hard to address all of your concerns. The newest build of Disgaea PC represents months of feedback from the community, support, and work from our developers.

It's Prinny fantastic, so check it out, dood!

Also, we're happy to announce our partnership with Valve® and the Team Fortress 2 team in releasing three brand-spanking new Disgaea®-themed Team Fortress 2 cosmetic Items that will be compatible with all nine beloved Team Fortress 2 classes:
  • Prinny Hat - The preferred headwear of all Prinny aficionados. Keeps your head warm and toasty while displaying your fandom for all to see.

• Prinny Pouch - The official pouch issued to all Prinnies. Hide your coins, hide your knives.

• Prinny Knife - The official knife issued to all Prinnies. It’s good for slashing, stabbing, and raising HL.
Customers who already purchased Disgaea PC will receive the genuine Disgaea-themed cosmetic items soon and they will be available for new customers who purchase Disgaea PC by the end of the Steam® Summer Sale.

Stay awesome, dood.

Best,
NISA Team

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seems people are more satisfied with this port at least. I'm willing to bet people will be more excited once we see D3, D4 and DD2 (hopefully).

Dexter

Arcane
Hey, bros!

I have acquired Disgaea PC, along with Disgaea 2 PC and Disgaea 5 Complete on some of the past Steam Sales. I played 5 for approximately 10 hours during a Free Weekend and it was kinda enjoyable, but the amount of features and shit to do kind of overwhelmed me, so I thought I might want to start at the beginning.

Upon quick perusal of the Steam resources there seem to be several Mods and shit to improve the experience, for instance apparently this allows for 4K res support along with some other things:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=641932497
At present, the project does the following:
  • Uncaps the 720p internal resolution
  • Removes artifacts caused by sprite smoothing
  • Enhances SSAO quality
  • Fixes bad texture coordinates on many sprites
  • Bypasses Intel integrated GPUs on laptops
  • Improves OpenGL performance
  • Supports custom button icons
  • Supports custom resolutions
  • Adds cursor management
  • Adds UI color customization
  • Adds MSAA support
  • Adds a PSN Trophy sound on achievement unlock

• (which can be replaced with any .wav file in OpenGL32.ini)
I downloaded 0.5.5 from the GitHub and it seems to have at least improved the picture, although there also seems to be a 0.6 and 0.7 version: https://github.com/Kaldaien/PrettyPrinny/releases/tag/pp_055a

I also saw that there was apparently another new Release called "Disgaea 1 Complete" on the consoles with HD sprites and several other improvements:

Apparently this isn't available on PC (yet?), but there seems to be a Mod that adds the HD Sprites to the PC version, but there seem to be various issues with it?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/4/1742260837206441731/

Anything else I should know?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Anything else I should know?

You're not really missing much if you play on pc. Complete is mostly a sprite update and the few QoL features aren't massive.

The only other thing I'd suggest is the Netherworld content pack which that adds the content of the Nintendo DS version to the PC release

https://www.patreon.com/posts/disgaea-pc-pack-16830752

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom