Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed this. I used to love Hitman before it became shit. First thing I did when I bought it was turn off all the highlighting and objective waypoints nonsense. I've only done the 1st 2 missions because there's so much to explore and so many ways to go about the contracts. Love it.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Retarded waypoint mechanics instead of allowing me to discover the level myself, there's never going to be a good Hitman game again.

You know, you can turn those shit off. And unlike other AAA games, in this one the player can get around the levels without them. So yeah, I highly recomend you to turn it off.
It's certainly better than absolution and there's some of what made Hitman great but lol "Just turn the assists off" the npcs will still nonchalantly scream information for the world to hear, the game is either designed around certain mechanics or it isn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bonus mission:

Coming on January 31st is the third bonus mission titled ‘Landslide’.

In Sapienza the sun is about to set, the locals have gathered in the piazza for a small concert by the harbor.
Marco Abiatti - a wealthy businessman with mafia ties turned right-wing politician, has staged an early evening event near Sapienza's beach. Agent 47 must ensure this would-be patrician does not become mayor.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is either designed around certain mechanics or it isn't.
... No. This time the devs planned from the ground up for these features to be optional, meaning they thought about how it would play with each turned on as well as turned off. Sounds to me like you haven't even tried turning them off (scared? lazy?) and want an excuse to complain anyway.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
We came up with the opportunities rather late in the process. Player testing showed the many non-Hitman fans had no clue how to play the game. They would just go guns blazing and fail repeatedly until they would discard the game as crap. Opportunities are intended to ease you into the level and show you around a bit. However the opportunities only scratch the surface and are optional for the hard core player.

And BTW, more new stuff will come. We are still working hard on this game...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We came up with the opportunities rather late in the process. Player testing showed the many non-Hitman fans had no clue how to play the game. They would just go guns blazing and fail repeatedly until they would discard the game as crap. Opportunities are intended to ease you into the level and show you around a bit. However the opportunities only scratch the surface and are optional for the hard core player.

Have you thought about have this automatically on or off based on difficulty selection? The player could still manually change them, but just the initial setting so as to ease bad player yet not annoy good players.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Have you thought about have this automatically on or off based on difficulty selection? The player could still manually change them, but just the initial setting so as to ease bad player yet not annoy good players.

I don't know. I am not designer - I am a coder - so I only know these things second hand. But since difficulty selection (PRO) requires high mastery level first it kind of implies that the opportunities would be turned on to start with, wouldn't it? And I can't really tell why the opportunities are there in PRO mode - I am sure the designers had their reasons.

Anyway, on a personal level (not IOI official in any way) I do agree with posts here that the PRO difficulty should have been open from start. It is seems silly to force people to grind each level first.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

awesome to hear. I am really enjoying what we have atm

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just read about the new difficulty, and was about to reinstall the game until I read that you have to unlock it... by grinding. Wtf.

Cadmus

Arcane

Yo, coder man. Is there a way to make the music not shit? Can you mod it to use the real Hitman music somehow? Like exchange the tracks that get cued based on the situation for the good Kyd tracks? Would it be doable?
I would stop calling the game fucking garbage if somebody did that. Why on earth you let go of Jesper Kyd anyway?

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Yo, coder man. Is there a way to make the music not shit? Can you mod it to use the real Hitman music somehow? Like exchange the tracks that get cued based on the situation for the good Kyd tracks? Would it be doable?
I would stop calling the game fucking garbage if somebody did that. Why on earth you let go of Jesper Kyd anyway?

Nope. The game is not moddable and the music is interactive and composed of many layer - so it is not just a matter of replacing tracks. Why we don't use Jesper Kyd I don't know.

Cadmus

Arcane
The game is not moddable. Great. The music sucks by design. Great.
This is all the shit I was talking about before it was released. All the focus is spent on promoting and creating "the perfect sandbox" but Hitman isn't about being a sandbox. It's much simpler (or it seems actually much more complicated for some people) than that.

Cadmus

Arcane
David Bateson presenting Jesper Kyd's score from Hitman 2 - a live orchestra performance 28th Jan 2017. Article is in Danish, sorry.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/kl...hylde-zelda-hitman-og-andre-legendariske-spil

It seems Cadmus is not the only one loving this one. :)
I must be half deaf or it's the shitty speakers or something but the bass rhythm and the drums and chimy things sound slightly out of rhythm to me, making the whole thing annoying to listen to.

When Bateson started speaking I almost shit myself but then he goes on to be unfunny. Whatever, the voice is amazing.

This reminds me, I get the sense that 47 speaks way too much in this game (and in the previous one as well) and too much about bullshit mundane things. His speaking should be reserved to only the most important things. I loved the ending monologue in H2 - "I do not belong in this world..."

Here it's "Diana fetch me a baguette, will ya?"
Stuff like this goes a long way to making the character shittier, less mysterious and more normal. 47 isn't normal, 47 isn't a good guy who is also a killer. 47 has been shown to not give a shit about people and suddenly in absolution he is discovering his feelings and saving children and saving Diana. I think 47 would fucking stab Diana through the brain if it helped him survive.

Is there a scene where 47 kills his pet bird without hesitation to keep it silent?
Is there a scene where 47 smirks when shown grattitude by a prostitute?
Is there a scene where 47 decides to burn it all down because he is the baddest motherfucker and developing feelings is for the weak?

I don't know because I haven't played it yet. You can tell me I'm wrong here.
Absolution was the shitties tier fan fiction that completely ruined the character. I can't help but think that these shitty voiced introductions/trailers for "sandbox" bullshit playground missions only further this artificial, fan fic feel of the game.

Hey look, we remember you want to feel badass so here's a voice track telling you you are badass MR 47 BAR CODE KILA AND YOU DO YOUR JOB BY KILL MURDERING BAD PEOPLE WITH A TABLE SPOON.

47 is meticulous and patient. This is the opposite of flashy and showing off. His movements and preparations are ecomonic, not badass. What makes them badass is the cold and stoic composure he maintains. It's not 47 sitting on Machette's head and slapping him with a purple dildo in a fury of QTEs in front of a thousand people.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't know because I haven't played it yet.

You really are great at ranting about something you haven't even tried. How mature. Please try it first. You may be pleasantly surprised. I welcome any rant after that.
I already told you what I didn't like from the first 2 (3) missions.
You could maybe give me some motivation with regards to the things I care about that I mentioned above. It would be nice to see you (or even the studio) understand the character and the game which is not the impression I'm getting.

You know, as I was waking through the French fashion show house, sneaking around, some music started playing and I realized I'm fucking bored and how great it used to be when the music got me pumped and nervous for what I was about to do. Tada tada tada da tada tada tada da, cue the flute melody.

I'll give it a try for sure since I even finished Absolution for the sole reason to be able to write how shit it was, but my point kinda is that these are so obvious things that are wrong and I can't seem to get a good explanation for them. It sucks because I used to be a big fan of the series. Nowadays you can't be the fan of anything because everything has turned to shit.

Cadmus

Arcane
Finished Sapienza. What a big level. It was really cool and filled to brim with shiny objects to fuck around with. Finished it sort of in one go by killing whoever necessary and slowly finding out what to do. Gotta admit that was fun. Did the fashion show by randomly sneaking through and headshotting my targets. I like doing that, it's kind of silly but too much environmental fuckery bores me.

PowerTorment
- why can't I select a weapon to ready without equipping it? it's especially jarring since my selected item gets overriden with a picked up item all the time. I would suggest you make it possible to select an item from inventory without equipping it in my hand so that I don't have to search for a quiet place to re-equip my gun. Please tell me if I'm missing the option to do it because it's pissing me off.
- why is there not a dedicated map button?
- why is the map not live? suggest making it a toggle at least...or am I supposed to be using the minimap cuz that's not the same.
- are there any sniper rifles lying around or I gotta fuck around with the level enough to get the mastery for shipping the rifle there?

I don't understand what the score is for. The money mechanic is missing so that's stupid. I haven't figured out yet how the weapon availability works.
- if I unlock a gun through level mastery it's available only for that mission? If yes that sucks shit.
- do I unlock guns for "smuggled item" by picking them up or they are just there or how does that work?

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not my cup of tea either, but that's what it's there for.
meh.png

Zombra

Patron
One thing that does bother me -
Turning Opportunity tracking on/off is a single switch, which is a shame.
I like it when Diana gives me a little briefing explaining how to use certain info to my advantage, but I don't like having the Skyrim quest markers. The game makes you use neither or both. Could be better.
PowerTorment

Cadmus

Arcane
One thing that does bother me -
Turning Opportunity tracking on/off is a single switch, which is a shame.
I like it when Diana gives me a little briefing explaining how to use certain info to my advantage, but I don't like having the Skyrim quest markers. The game makes you use neither or both. Could be better.
PowerTorment
The game is designed so that you need to track the opportunities and challenges or otherwise better gear is withheld from you. So it's not like "just turn it off, maaan!" because then you have to guess based on the pictures what are you supposed to do to be able to use items you were able to buy in Blood Money. This pissed me off when I realized it, having completed a mission and seeing some retarded "mastery" meter and it unlocking stuff for me.

Why the fuck can't I buy stuff?
Why the fuck can't I get a bonus cool weapon for SA rating to use whenever I feel like it?
Why can't I stuff my suit with 30 handguns like previously?
Why don't I have a shed with all my collected canons displayed there?
Why can't I drop a gun and pick it up to have two guns equipped?
Why are we getting less functionality than in a 15 year old game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom