Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HOMM 2 vs HOMM 3

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

kyrub

Augur
The maps are fully recreated from scratch, all by hand save the terrains.

Incredible. We admire you, Orzie.

blamzooie

Educated
The Codex makes me so happy. It is truly where great games come to get immortalised forever. Where else would you go to find people who devote endless hours of their free time fixing or updating or porting 20 year old software?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Small problem...maybe.

I tried to install the HoMM3 HD mod AND the Horn of the Abyss mod, main link gives a Russian error page. The mirror link for the HD mod works, but my Antivirus nukes it due to a Trojan.

What to do?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since on the subject of the HoMM games (1-3, at least) - any suggestions for good user maps?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Since on the subject of the HoMM games (1-3, at least) - any suggestions for good user maps?

I've been playing lots of HoMM 2 maps chronologically (up to mid August 1997)
These are my favourites so far, with comments:
Grim Reaper - Excellent. I suggest playing the Wizard since he starts on an island. Start as Knight if you want max challenge.
Clash of Titans - Very strategic map and long game.
Dead Dragons - Masterpiece
Run Jason, Run! - Quite good. Not quite finished it; extremely tough last fight.
! - You play as Conan. Very tight time limit, making it one of the most difficult non-Small HoMM 2 map I've played.
Hobbit - Very nice. Strategic. Bad spelling/grammar, though.
Bad to the Bone - Quite good, but rather linear.

Many of the classic maps were made later, though. Also, some of the best maps are best suited for co-op; all the above are pure SP.

My favourite HoMM 3 maps is the Pride trilogy:
Titanic Pride
Angelic Pride
Devilish Pride

These are masterpieces, and some of the best user made content for any game I've played.

Last edited:

Orzie

Arbiter
I enjoyed H2 "Ghost Planet" the most. Magnificent storyline. There was nothing so atmospheric in the official H3 map list for me, unfortunately.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
For Homm3, I remember enjoying the following: (1) Goldheart, which is a basic "character has amnesia" plot-line and deals with greed; (2) Sander's Folly, where a historian travels back in time and realizes history was not as it seemed; and (3) Hail to the King, where you play an elemental lord getting revenge.

Of the three, I think I enjoyed Hail to the King the most, because you have to make do with so few troops throughout the game and you cannot simply build more (building is disabled at most towns). Friendly stacks of creatures are spread throughout the map, but you have to make do with what you have until you get to them. Unlike other maps where I hit every artifact or treasure chest, that mentality got me killed, and so you have to really pick your battles. By the end of the game, should have a sizeable army, if you played right.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
:necro:
Some kind Russian on 4chan translated some of the succession wars update news. I can't vouch for accuracy but codex is full of slavs and BRs so maybe someone can confirm if its true or not.
Russian here. I'm not really invested in HoMM, I just randomly stumbled upon this thread. I'll try to help a bit.

The latest update post was on January 17.
Here's my attempt on the translation.

oirqfy.png

"That's how creatures of our eight factions will look like in the upcoming beta. During discussions a lot of copies were broken, a lot of keyboards were wasted, a lot of brilliant ideas were tossed away. The content was heavily restricted by the concept of HoMM 2.

Maybe something will look off for your expectations, but keep in mind that the major part of our additions were made by the lesser evil principle, and every single creature in the bestiary has decent reason for it's existence."

Update post from January 18.

qsvqzx.png

"The update is delayed yet again. Even though the team has high activity, there are some tasks that need more time. We won't give estimated release date to avoid needless expectations. But clearly the development of 1.5.0 is currently on its final stage.

Let's return to the description of some elements of the upcoming update. Let's start from the aesthetic additions. The update will have new models for heroes both on the map and in the battle, based both of class and gender.

It's a known fact that New World Computing was planning to implement the same thing. Left-over resources from the map editor are the proof. Besides, some of the earlier closed alpha screenshots of HoMM 3 have heroes of the same class with different genders.

And yet again HotA chose to implement features that were dropped by NWC due to the low budget and time. Even though it's purely cosmetic, this task was planned basically from the very beginning of the project.

You can see some of the animations there:
heroes3towns.com/heroes.html"

I left out some details from the update post.
In the update post from January 1 they promised to keep up with the update posts up until the release day, where they'll show off some of the most prominent changes.
EDIT: Just realized they already have a translation on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/thesuccessionwarsmod/posts/1507780275928821:0

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Speaking of avatars, has anyone fixed the bug where some heroes are the wrong gender on the HOMM3 strategic map? :lol: It's particularly amusing with Crag Hack.

Endemic

Arcane
Good to know the female knights don't have to wear a skirt now. :D Not sure about the appearance of the Cove magic heroes though.

Also, if they're going to change the tactical map models, it'd be nice to have Adrienne as human and not an overgrown lizard :lol:

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Where is the Darklords Rising option in the poll? :argh: The best fantasy strategy ever

Orzie

Arbiter
Btw, for those who are still concerned in watching H3SW updates, here is an approximate 7-tier lineup presentation if Heroes 2 were Heroes 3 (with a little MM6 flavor).

1.png

Orzie

Arbiter
Yeah. Not the best option, but it can be arranged in a more or less acceptable way via manipulating with graphics, stats, etc.

Beowulf

Arcane
Ahh, both of my favourite RPGs in one poll.
What a time to be alive on the codex.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Btw, for those who are still concerned in watching H3SW updates, here is an approximate 7-tier lineup presentation if Heroes 2 were Heroes 3 (with a little MM6 flavor).

1.png

Looks pretty damn good. Just a couple of them need would need some touchups I think because they look too... soft? Take for example the Satyr or Wyvern... I think they could use some extra hard lines/pixels so they fit more with the rest of the graphics. The manticore too, I guess. If you look, all other original graphics have clear, well defined lines inside too not only as outline.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane

1.png

Looks pretty damn good. Just a couple of the need would need some touchups I think because they look too... soft? Take for example the Satyr or Wyvern... I think they could use some extra hard lines/pixels so they fit more with the rest of the graphics. The manticore too, I guess. If you look, all other original graphics have clear, well defined lines inside too not only as outline.
I think they need less gradient. Look at the manticore and at the nomad, they look like from two completely different games. Overall design is great, just add more colour to them.
The only unit I'm not a fan of is that beholder thingy from warlock town, its so out of place.

Orzie

Arbiter
None of these are 100% final I suppose (practice makes perfect). It's just to give the basic idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom