Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile admit that Torment stretch goal content has been cut, including companions

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
Second post is a pretty good description of pedogafers actually. Probably people who have zero education and never had a real job and never had a conversation for more than 2 minutes in real life before everyone else backed away slowly.

First one is just the typical developer cocksucking. Most games are shit today and almost all the developers. You can suck developer cock all you want but it won't change reality, it won't budge reality even one micron. And this is what the truly mentally ill retard does not understand - your internet views just don't fucking matter. Which is also why it's so pathetic how many people try to shut down things they don't agree with, complain about posts people are making (even on other sites!), and try so desperately to suck the cock of developers who have barely noticed they even exist - if they ever will notice at all.

NeoGAF would say almost exactly the same thing about the Codex. Have some perspective.

I didn't say it, he did. It is very classic projection. Want to bet on the chances that a guy with a furry avatar is a father and productive citizen? :lol:

Saduj

Arcane
I'm so tired of hearing this shit.

Thiis tall glass of Newport Beach lifestyle, of the Fargo fucking family line https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wells_Fargo, with his name-dropping and big dick swagger, was not a leap of faith.

He was supposed to know what the fuck he was doing. And, to the extent he claimed that, received backing proportionate to his supposed experience and imagined prospect of success.

None of that changes the fact that people were buying a game that hadn't been started and that had no real direction behind it yet other than "if we use the Torment name people will give money". Giving someone money when all they have is "trust me, I'll make a good game that will be like Planescape: Torment" IS an act of faith. The hype you are talking about may be one of the reasons why people felt their faith was well placed. And really, anyone who knew who Fargo is probably also knew he had plenty of stinkers on his resume.

Because you let them, fam.

Every single time you, a paying customer, given them the benefit of the unearned doubt.

Every time you bend over backwards to make the truly laughable assumption that these cuts concerned what "fit" their artistic vision.

I don't give them any benefit of the doubt. I didn't give any money to the Torment kickstarter. The only time I've ever given developers money for less than a final game is in situations where I felt the released demos were already worth the asking price (AOD, Underrail). I look at kickstarters as such an obviously bad deal that people only enter into them out of altruism. That's why it is such a dick move to be dismissive towards backers.

I

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
So... are we back to calling inXile a bunch of corrupt, shilling, backstabbing pieces of shit yet? Wake me up when we are.
But seriously, glad I didn't back this expecting certain goals just to have them say "Fuck the goals, I have money!" And if you can guess the reference, you get a free cookie courtesy of the interwebs.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
None of that changes the fact that people were buying a game that hadn't been started and that had no real direction behind it yet other than "if we use the Torment name people will give money". Giving someone money when all they have is "trust me, I'll make a good game that will be like Planescape: Torment" IS an act of faith.
I

But they didn't just say that and you know it. They had a huge press campaign and the stretch goals themselves were also a huge part of the marketing - that is the entire point why people are pissed, my friend.

In fact there was enough info that I knew this would be total shit even while the kickstarter campaign was in its infancy. We have devs who mainly talk about muh diversity, a licensed game system that appears to be a complete crock of shit, on and on. That's why I did not back, and it seems my like of confidence they would make a good game has been shown to be true.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If codexers were investors and kickstarter were the stock market, most of them would have lost everything by now because they were too gullible to believe in the "cRPG renascence" bubble.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In fact there was enough info that I knew this would be total shit even while the kickstarter campaign was in its infancy. We have devs who mainly talk about muh diversity, a licensed game system that appears to be a complete crock of shit, on and on. That's why I did not back, and it seems my like of confidence they would make a good game has been shown to be true.

:bravo:

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The devil could be in the details, and what could really tell us what happened during the development, is if the game have orchestrated music.

I mean, not having orchestra music cannot be fitted under:

- It just didn't work
- We had a lot of work
- lies lies bs bs more lies

If they don't have orchestra music then it's pretty clear that they cut everything not for design choices but for money. So I want to know if the OST is played by an orchestra, and if, which one is to call them and make a double check to be sure that they are not lying, because at this point they could try to sneak us 20 toddlers with a flute and a xylophone as an orchestra.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
http://www.pcgamesn.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/torment-tides-of-numenera-cut-content
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/inxil...s-of-numenera-companions-reduced-to-6-from-9/
http://www.mmorpg.com/torment-tides...italian-language-stretch-goals-cut-1000043017
http://www.pcgamer.com/torment-tides-of-numenera-has-dropped-some-stretch-goals/
http://www.mmorpg.com/torment-tides...italian-language-stretch-goals-cut-1000043017
http://it.ign.com/torment-tides-of-...dimensionamenti-per-torment-tides-of-numenera
http://www.gry-online.pl/S013.asp?ID=102264

Shoutouts to the polish and PCGamesN for mentioning the Codex. PC Gamer only mentions that 1 companion was cut, and clearly didn't want to give us credit:
During the game's Kickstarter campaign, one of the stretch goals included a companion called "The Toy". This was the first absence to be detected by the game's ever-vigilant community, prompting inXile's Eric Schwarz to make a statement.
:lol:

Last edited:

Severian Silk

"bad stuff", "no-no words", "icky", "alt-right", "problematic", "not-pc"

Codespeak for "thoughts I'm not supposed to think, right or wrong"

It's like everything George Carlin believed had and would continue to occur.

I don't think George Carlin would have defended the Codex. In fact, I think this is a case of cultural appropriation, where conservatives are like, "Oooh! I see liberals curse! Maybe if I curse I will be cool too!"

Saduj

Arcane
But they didn't just say that and you know it. They had a huge press campaign and the stretch goals themselves were also a huge part of the marketing - that is the entire point why people are pissed, my friend.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be pissed. I'm saying that kickstarter is a gamble so under different circumstances, I would have more of a "buyer beware" attitude about the whole thing. There was a lot of hype but you knowingly gave money for a game that was in the early concept stage and should understand the risk you took in doing so.

Is it exploitative to tease hungry fans with promises of stretch goals when you are less than committed to putting them in the game? Yes. Had, months ago, they said something to the effect of "We feel really bad about it but we really didn't think through the stretch goals all that well and we had to cut the following goals for the following reasons....." I could consider the possibility that it was an honest, somewhat expectable mistake.

That inXile doesn't behave like people who made an honest mistake and feel bad about it is what makes the anger justified, IMO.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Reminder that just 7 days ago InXile made a media blitz on Torment, talking to the press about how amazing they are at "open development":

Brian Fargo said:
It seems like we've been doing okay at educating people on the other side about what a non-linear path it is to get these things done.

This thread begs to differ. Fargo also gloated about how his job is the hardest in the business:

Brian Fargo said:
You have to be able to say no to people, and make them feel good about it. It's a lot of psychology, and understanding the philosophy of the products. I think it's the hardest job in the business.

Sounds like he's falling behind on his job. :shittydog:

It all shows the focus of each company - Larian has an amazing relationship with its community, InXile has not. But InXile shouts all the time to journos saying they are indeed amazing, so that's the general perception.

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
I don't think George Carlin would have defended the Codex. In fact, I think this is a case of cultural appropriation, where conservatives are like, "Oooh! I see liberals curse! Maybe if I curse I will be cool too!"

Spoilered to not further derail the thread.

Tells me how little you know of George Carlin.

He would have railed against the self-censorship of one's own thoughts and the use of soft, empty-headed phrases as a substitute for critical thought or actual debate, notwithstanding from which side of the political spectrum it originated.

It just so happens that in the case of NeoGaf you're dealing with the liberal strain. That doesn't make the conservative strain any less prevalent.

My or yours or his political inclinations are irrelevant to the issue. He had plenty of material on conservatives.

He still would have defended anyone's exercise of free expression.

For example, my desire to call you an uninformed prison dyke for misrepresenting Carlin's legacy.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On a side note, if H. G. Wells turns out to be right, the Eloi are gonna be descended from Neogaf.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PC Gamer only mentions that 1 companion was cut, and clearly didn't want to give us credit:
During the game's Kickstarter campaign, one of the stretch goals included a companion called "The Toy". This was the first absence to be detected by the game's ever-vigilant community, prompting inXile's Eric Schwarz to make a statement.
:lol:

prompting inXile's Eric Schwarz to make a statement.

I always find it funny when journalists doesn't give proper credit but use VigLink's tracking/redirecting URL instead of proper and direct URL. This link has references to both Codex and NeoGaf:

redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_148573159085612&key=d26aa463ebba8cc5ad2f5d735aae0dae&libId=iyj9bva501000ft4000DAka51yyte&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rpgcodex.net%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fthreads%2Finxile-admit-that-torment-stretch-goal-content-has-been-cut-including-companions.113311%2F&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.inxile-entertainment.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D32%26t%3D16994%26start%3D40%23p179267&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neogaf.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1338749&title=Game%20News%20-%20inXile%20admit%20that%20Torment%20stretch%20goal%20content%20has%20been%20cut%2C%20including%20companions%20%7C%20rpg%20codex%20%3E%20in%20memory%20of%20those%20we%20lost%20in%202016&txt=compelled%20to%20respond

Likely he copied this URL directly from that NeoGaf thread. Not giving credit is easy but using proper URL is teh hard, I guess.

Prime Junta

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be pissed. I'm saying that kickstarter is a gamble so under different circumstances, I would have more of a "buyer beware" attitude about the whole thing. There was a lot of hype but you knowingly gave money for a game that was in the early concept stage and should understand the risk you took in doing so.

Why thank you mother, I had no idea Kickstarters were speculative and could fail. Could you wag your finger a little harder plz?

You and the rest of the "everything is fine" community keep missing the point. We know shit happens. We can be extremely understanding of it if the people to whom it happens are up-front about it.

What I find utterly unacceptable is the attitude that if someone reneges on a promise they made to you, it's your fault, not theirs. If someone lies to you, it's your fault, not theirs.

There is this thing called "integrity." Keeping your promises to the best of your ability, and doing your best to make amends if you fail. Not lying. Not betraying a trust. Not blabbing about stuff that you were told in confidence. I respect people – and organisations, groups, communities etc. – who have it, and don't respect those who don't. That's why I'm pissed off at inXile about this, the Toy and the Oasis be damned.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Why thank you mother, I had no idea Kickstarters were speculative and could fail. Could you wag your finger a little harder plz?

You and the rest of the "everything is fine" community keep missing the point. We know shit happens. We can be extremely understanding of it if the people to whom it happens are up-front about it.

What I find utterly unacceptable is the attitude that if someone reneges on a promise they made to you, it's your fault, not theirs. If someone lies to you, it's your fault, not theirs.

There is this thing called "integrity." Keeping your promises to the best of your ability, and doing your best to make amends if you fail. Not lying. Not betraying a trust. Not blabbing about stuff that you were told in confidence. I respect people – and organisations, groups, communities etc. – who have it, and don't respect those who don't. That's why I'm pissed off at inXile about this, the Toy and the Oasis be damned.

There's also a thing a called sanity. Like D. Trump you see longitudes that aren't there. Where was it stated that it's backers fault that they failed to deliver?

Prime Junta

Where was it stated that it's backers fault that they failed to deliver?

I should clearly have used more words. "Your fault for trusting them, not their fault for reneging." Thought it was obvious enough that I didn't need to but whatevs.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Where was it stated that it's backers fault that they failed to deliver?

I should clearly have used more words. "Your fault for trusting them, not their fault for reneging." Thought it was obvious enough that I didn't need to but whatevs.
FFS grow a FUCKING pair. You fucking knew that things can change during development and they are not even obliged to bring us a working product... It was clearly stated.
To all of you cry babies now crying about integrity and promises, I would like to remind you that POE kept all of its promises and ended up shitier for it.

Can any of you peeps say with a straight face that POE ended up better because of: Stronhold, Stupid Mega dungeon, Redundant second city (didn't have to to fully finish first), many clases in a completely new system and many companions on top...

It's good they're cutting stretch goal "content". If the game has any chance of being what they promised, it should be a tight, provocative short story, not a freaking novel in the modern fantasy "trilogy" style.

Having said that, I was somewhat worried from the start of the project, because they hired an army of writers. There's a Russian saying that goes "Seven nannies fail to look after a baby". One of those writers is notorious for attempting a modern fantasy trilogy, and failing to produce the third volume.

Can any of you peeps say with a straight face that POE ended up better because of: Stronhold, Stupid Mega dungeon, Redundant second city (didn't have to to fully finish first), many clases in a completely new system and many companions on top...

Exactly, plus everyone loved the yellow NPCs and their back stories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom