Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #2: Level Cap Increase and Seventh Companion Stretch Goals

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
There's a tradeoff between companion writing and their gameplay value. Fewer companions = deeper quests, longer stories, etc. But you need a lot of companions to fill all possible roles combat-wise. By letting you pick the class, you evade that issue which lets you focus all efforts on a smaller number of companions.
Bullshit. You don't need many companions to fill all the fucking roles, because the combat in itself is not that challenging, but it destroys the story, personal quests end etc. Now imagine Ignus the burning bard, Vhailor the druid, Oku the wizard and Gann the fighter because you needed different clases. And this list is by no means complete.

Obsidian fans are still descending the endless paths of Od Nua. How low can you go?

Last edited:

Raziel

Educated
There's a tradeoff between companion writing and their gameplay value. Fewer companions = deeper quests, longer stories, etc. But you need a lot of companions to fill all possible roles combat-wise. By letting you pick the class, you evade that issue which lets you focus all efforts on a smaller number of companions.
Bullshit. You don't need many companions to fill all the fucking roles, because the combat in itself is not that challenging, but it destroys the story, personal quests end etc. Now imagine Ignus the burning bard, Vhailor the druid, Oku the wizard and Gann the fighter because you needed different clases. And this list is by no means complete.

Obsidian fans are still descending the endless paths of Od Nua. How low can you go?
Companions will have their starting class locked. I'm sure 1 level should be enough to satisfy your needs.

I mean you can beat PoE with a level 1 character, doesn't stop you from being The Chosen One.

Diablo169

Arcane
I actually don't mind being able to chose the companions class. From a story fag perspective it means I can fit in party members based on their personality's and background, rather then the armor and weapons they can use.

Now by the same token they have to do it sensibly, and with respect to the characters background, or its immersion breaking.

laclongquan

Arcane
I would have thought companion's quests and classes are a good way to cover for the deficiency of some class's play. if you feel your warlock's content is too weak, add/change a major companion class to warlock: Voila! Ala NWN2OC.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It would be amazing if they would follow BG1 NPC Project and add real writing to back up companions possibly changing their class (fans wrote dialogue for Imoen where she tries to study magic as a thief). Then some companions could have restricted multiclassing, like Pallegina could multi into fighter or cleric but that's all. But that's probably overcomplicated.

Anyway, in spirit I am probably against changing stats and classes for NPCs since I believe roleplaying system should correlate with actual, well, roleplaying part at least to an extent. Pallegina paladin/thief with stealth attack from spells just looks shitty to me. But PoE system is already kinda shitty (read - gamey) in that respect, so it's not big deal, I personally would just not make leveling choices that do not make much sense and that's it. It's not BG2 where it was such a total bitch to find a good thief people made mods for it, you don't need any specific classes in your party.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The setting has so many good things and at the same time nigger Italians.
as opposed to regular italians?

Ouch you got me there sir.

They can make this work. In fact it less imersion braking than Sagani being a stronk soft spoken esquimo Ranger, I felt she would be better as a cleric on a holy pilgrimage instead a of a long hunt. Justifies better leaving her family behind.

I know its not the same ting but in Kotor 2 you could make ( or not) you companions into Jedi, if handled well companions might still be interesting to play.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It occurs to me that mutliclassing is a pretty good solution to the problems posed by Chanters. The battle never lasts long enough for them to get to their highest chants/invocations, so you take levels until the casting time pushes them out of range and then class into something more useful for your remaining levels.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Again, thank you. We couldn't have gotten where we are without our awesome fans, and we'll need you with us to make Pillars II the greatest cRPG of all time.

We need "don't believe in his lies" developer mugs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom