Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile admit that Torment stretch goal content has been cut, including companions

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Even a retardo is more alpha:mixedemotions:
LETS ENSLAVE THESE OMEGAS!
:discohitler:

Crichton

Prophet
I think this is probably the perfect representation of why I don't like crowd-funding as a game-development mechanism. I've become acclimated to Kickstarter because I liked the Shadowrun games, D:OS and PoE and I've even backed a couple of them now. But while it may allow for more niche games to be made, I don't think it encourages the best behavior. Here we have a case where people wanted certain features but it turns out that the exclusion of those features will have no effect on their willingness to purchase the game because they already fucking bought it!

Rather than a rational market, this sort of thing increasingly resembles politics; you pick a candidate with a pitch you like, hold your nose and vote for them and Crom only knows what the hell you'll actually get.

Tyrion8338

Novice
Inxile played dirty in this case but in a reality cutting things out or delays are inevitable in a game developement, as long as the final game is good I wont mind the cut content especially if it meant more polish in other areas of the game... I didnt back up thier kickstarters/ fig just because I dont have free cash but I certainly would otherwise. Wasteland 2 was rather good but feelt shallow and unfinished during my first playthru shortly after release but now I`m playing it again in Director Cut version and it seems noticably better, more finished and with upgraded graphics. It bodes well when a developer puts that kind of effort. My expectations concerning the Torment and especially the Wasteland 3 are quite high.

duanth123

Arcane

Hobo Elf

Arcane
NeoGAF is a known shithole. Not only are they mega sonyshills, but sony devs post there, so they like to suck up to them so that the poor devs with their cinderella feelings won't get hurt and run away. Basically NeoGAF is the worst online gaming community out there, bar none.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't even care that they cut some stuff. That happens to every game. It's the amount of stuff getting cut.

The problem is that they weren't upfront about it until someone calls them out on it. You promised these things, if you can't add them, then fine, tell your backers immediately, not one month before the game launches. It's not their first game. They have experience, which leads me to believe that they knew that they would never be able to accomplish all stretch goals and just strung us along. More likely, they messed up with management of money. They should have focused on one version of the game and not going for fifteen different platforms. Their site has the game at $5.1 million in funding. That's $1 million more than they got from the actual kickstarter. I don't know if Techland threw in some cash for the console versions or not.

I backed Wasteland 3 at the lowest tier, knowing full well what I was getting myself into, but this is even worse than cut Wasteland 2 stuff. You would think that they had learned from their Wasteland 2 campaign not to promise too much and overdo it with stretch goals. On the other hand, I am not surprised that stuff would be cut. Retroactively, looking at those stretch goals, they are insane to me. No way could they do all that.

What I played of the beta didn't suck. I expect the full game to be decent to good. But in the future, I will have less trust in the studio. If they crowdfund something that I think might look interesting, I am still willing to back at a lowest tier, but not any more than that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter didn't have many stretch goals, it was pretty primitive. It was the PoE KS that really set the template for Torment.

Fairfax

Arcane
But if they think everyone is like you then they're going to be surprised when they stop by for a visit.
Sounds like they already pay more 'visits' to this not ok place than they'd probably admit to. That drama queen seems to be more up to date on PoE drama than many Codexers, anyway. Pretty amusing.
Neogaf's enforced conformity makes people look elsewhere for unfiltered discussions, which leads many of them here. Reddit's voting system has a similar effect. Since unpopular opinions get shut down by downvotes, a lot of them look for a place that welcomes them, even if it means just lurking. Nowadays a lot of communities there have actually warmed up to the Codex. I see Codex content being shared and praised on r/games all the time, and I've seen people parroting Codexian arguments from reviews and posts almost verbatim in many subreddits.

The same applies to the TTON team, by the way. Once the game is launched, they will take a break from tweeting about politics and read the Codex reviews and impressions. They know their work is not perfect. At some point they will be curious to read some hard truths, and with many of them being former codexers, they all know where to look.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Perhaps this is (part of) the reason why the WL3 Fig campaign was so vague with shitty and uninspired stretch goals. Making sure not to promise too much by not promising much at all.

I'm gonna post it in every inXile news thread from now on.

QrSYccv.png

And a special treat for everyone who defended WL2 back in the day

UETIh6a.gif

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter didn't have many stretch goals, it was pretty primitive. It was the PoE KS that really set the template for Torment.
Yeah and Obsidian kept its promises alright. God forbid it happens ever again. That's the second biggest reason POE sucks ass after JS (though JS is probably much bigger).

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
You're all famous now kids: http://www.pcgamesn.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/torment-tides-of-numenera-cut-content

InXile confirm that certain Torment: Tides of Numenera stretch goals have been cut

In a post on r/Games, Reddit user SnakesPaw has compiled a series of posts from both the InXile and RPG Codex forums which confirm that a number of stretch goals for Torment: Tides of Numenera have been cut from the final release. This includes two companions, the crafting system along with the game’s Italian localisation.

The money raised from the Tides of Numenera Kickstarter was supposed to guarantee nine unique companions for the player to recruit, which included a companion called the Toy, a 'living ball of goo' who was added to the game at the $2 million mark, along with someone called Riastrad. When a trophy list for Tides of Numenera leaked online, players started to question whether these companions would feature in the full game, as they did not appear in the list unlike other announced companions. After multiple threads and questions via the Tides of Numenera forums, line producer at InXile Entertainment Eric Schwarz eventually released a statement confirming that “ the companion roster has been slightly reduced from [the] initial plans” of the Kickstarter.

They shouldn't have spurned Infinitron back then. How is their NDA doing now? :smug:

duanth123

Arcane
You're all famous now kids: http://www.pcgamesn.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/torment-tides-of-numenera-cut-content

InXile confirm that certain Torment: Tides of Numenera stretch goals have been cut

In a post on r/Games, Reddit user SnakesPaw has compiled a series of posts from both the InXile and RPG Codex forums which confirm that a number of stretch goals for Torment: Tides of Numenera have been cut from the final release. This includes two companions, the crafting system along with the game’s Italian localisation.

The money raised from the Tides of Numenera Kickstarter was supposed to guarantee nine unique companions for the player to recruit, which included a companion called the Toy, a 'living ball of goo' who was added to the game at the $2 million mark, along with someone called Riastrad. When a trophy list for Tides of Numenera leaked online, players started to question whether these companions would feature in the full game, as they did not appear in the list unlike other announced companions. After multiple threads and questions via the Tides of Numenera forums, line producer at InXile Entertainment Eric Schwarz eventually released a statement confirming that “ the companion roster has been slightly reduced from [the] initial plans” of the Kickstarter.

They shouldn't have spurned Infinitron back then. How is their NDA doing now? :smug:

12987.jpg

"It was Aliens" x 1
Brian_Fargo

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
Giving money to any kickstarter is a leap of faith. Some less so than others. The Expedition Conquistadors team had a clear vision for a game and it was well on its way to being finished before they asked for a modest amount of money to help get it finished. They had a game first and then they pitched the game. You may not like the final result but they delivered pretty much exactly what they pitched. When you give money to someone who designed the pitch first, in order to bring in the most money, and is going to worry about making a game second that is the biggest leap of faith. The stretch goals just make bring this to another level. It makes sense that once someone who sold a pitch has to go and make the game, certain features are not going to fit. Anyone who gave to such a campaign should be understanding of this to some degree.

But, inXile should always remember what they pitched and that the backers did them a huge favor. And they should conscientiously and proactively communicate when they've cut something that was promised previously. Especially so when they asked for extra money from people with the promise that it would lead to the inclusion of specific features. It is understandable that certain features just didn't work out. But their cavalier attitude about it is not understandable. Its like they are choosing to be dicks when not being a dick would require minimal effort on their part.

tormund

Arcane

12987.jpg

"It was Aliens" x 1
Brian_Fargo

Truth be told, 9 out of 10 times you see someone using that rating, it WILL be him. I'm genuinely surprised to see that it wasn't him this time around, especially given that post.

Also, it's kinda cute how it was alien that became our little Mark of the Jew of sorts. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom