Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
yeah, it's all fun and games, but what about that as soon as you purge even a single pop the whole universe turns against you? as it is now, it's completely useless.
It seems that is adressed by different types of purge, with neutering being a tradeoff for slow purge - letting space niggers die on their own but suffering far less diplomatic penalties.

Prime Junta

Livestock: This represents a species that is regularly culled to be used as food. Livestock produce a fixed number of extra food, but are completely unable to produce any other kind of resource.

Processing: The species is processed into food for the consumption of other Pops. Pops being Processed generate a fixed amount of food and die off at a fairly fast pace, but cannot be put to use producing any other resources.

giphy.gif

posterimage.jpg

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Consumer Goods seems like a good mineral sink, but at the same time it will kill off all those tactics in rush-colonizing abundance of planets in first few years of the game. IIRC those tactics were called "space piracy rush".
You'll probably won't be able to maintain that many pops with such little mineral income.

Personally, I don't like the "rush-game" so it's fine with me.

No, it will make building mines wort it. Because everyone is scrapping them mid game

The screenshot shows it taking up a paltry amount of minerals. 15% of gross production is pretty ignorable. More likely:

- AI will be gimped on normal because it can't optimize as well, and since it looks like its a per-pop maintenance fee then the AI will end up paying more like 30% of their gross production. Leading it to need more mines, more energy to support those mines, and having less energy because they have less room for energy buildings. Sectors get gimped similarly to the AI, and sectors already make the game unfun when you realize that 90% of your empire is just doing random stuff.
- AIs with Hard/Insane bonuses (already the only way to have a challenge) get a significant relative buff due to their ridiculous per-tile efficiency meaning that they are only paying around 5% of gross production. Same for fallen empires and the crises that don't care about resources.

Also if slaves/robots don't require consumer goods then that's a huge boost to already powerful strats.

Consumer Goods seems like a good mineral sink, but at the same time it will kill off all those tactics in rush-colonizing abundance of planets in first few years of the game. IIRC those tactics were called "space piracy rush".
You'll probably won't be able to maintain that many pops with such little mineral income.

Personally, I don't like the "rush-game" so it's fine with me.

Nah, it's not going to kill anything. Influence is already the hard cap on colonization spam unless you really set up a race to maximize influence (which is usually not optimal for other reasons). Minerals only run dry if you are playing Hard/Insane and need to go over your forcelimit or spam spaceports early on to fight the AI.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Orbital Habitats
26 JANUARY - BJORNB
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56[forum.paradoxplaza.com])

index.php

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.

index.php

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Orbital Habitals will be a game-changer for those players who play on 100 star galaxies and who would normally miss out on all the lag that larger sizes give in the lategame.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If I can't have fun blowing those orbitals up and form a nice debris ring around a planet or moon then I'll be sorely disappointed. And where is my asteroid colonisation gone?

Once more, we need more diversity in this game. The sense of how alien everything is. I don't want EUIV in space. I want bloody Peter Wats meet Alien with a bit of Asimov.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom