Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Deleted member 7219

Well I think this really sums it up perfectly IMO. You have to endure the initial 200 hours (can be less if you rush or if you don't take your time derping around) to reach the juicy stuff..

This definitely needs to get remembered as a Codex meme. Puts Skyway's "have to finish it 7 times" to shame.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's why it's a game that can only be played in short bursts. It gets increasingly frustrating the longer you play as you keep doing the same handful of dungs ad nauseam. You'll be going through the motions and clearing each pack of enemies and each boss the exact same way every time. It gets really tiresome after a while. It feels fun if you're doing it for the first time or after taking a long break, however. I don't understand the people who can keep playing this game for years without stopping. My previous FC leader was like that, playing the game each day all day without stopping ever since the game was released, but I suspect he was mentally disturbed since he always talked about how angry he felt each time he had to go outside.

Tick Tock Crocodile

The sight of the Fat Chocobo alone convinced me to start the free trial of this thing a couple of days ago. There's a lot to like, but God the amount of fetch quests is a bore, and it seems like there's less to do to split that time up at lower levels.

People seem to be complaining that the jump potions will lead to a bunch of max-level players not knowing shit about their class, but I doubt the journey to max teaches you much that you couldn't figure out after a short while anyway. And aren't a lot of the vital endgame skills only given at max level?

Tick Tock Crocodile

True enough. MMOs seem to require so much investment over time that I think you might as well have the full experience for yourself. Most people against the jump potions are stuck on the 'skill' argument, though, which I find silly.

Going to be playing this game more today and trying to have a better look at things. I really want to get into some MMO right now, and a Fat Larry mount would probably help a disproportionate amount with that, but what I really really want is an MMO where PvP is open season and you may gank and loot to your heart's content (that isn't(!!) a ghost town). I still have to give EVE a try, mind.

baroquebeast

Novice
The sight of the Fat Chocobo alone convinced me to start the free trial of this thing a couple of days ago. There's a lot to like, but God the amount of fetch quests is a bore, and it seems like there's less to do to split that time up at lower levels.

People seem to be complaining that the jump potions will lead to a bunch of max-level players not knowing shit about their class, but I doubt the journey to max teaches you much that you couldn't figure out after a short while anyway. And aren't a lot of the vital endgame skills only given at max level?
The journey to level 60 is so easy that it doesnt teach you anything. Most dungeons and raids are super easy and barely knowing your class is good enough.

I don't judge the jump potions that much, but I do judge them over the fact that they cost a decent sum amount of money no matter how long you've played for or if you're returning/have friends joining you, and it hurts even more when the developers themselves know that the early content is flat out shit, as they by themselves stated that 50% of the content is not fun.

I simply don't see how adding jump potions is an excuse to leave that content to be shit, maybe as a temporary bandage (if it didn't cost or didn't cost so much if you referred a friend or something), but leaving it stay with the excuse of "if you don't like it, just pay 20 bux for leveling + 20 bux for the story to skip it, and then you can access all the cool content", and yes, they made an excuse to not fix the story being garbage early on by saying that "some people are doing it and it would be bad to just drop their quests", as if making things into sidequests isn't possible.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm actually OK for a jump potion if it'll allow us to pass that frigging 100 shallow quests before getting into expansion area...

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
eJ5xjd2.jpg

People expecting it to be a support class like in FF11 are going to be massively disappointed, obviously. RDM is going to be a ranged / melee DPS.

Severian Silk

I simply don't see how adding jump potions is an excuse to leave that content to be shit, maybe as a temporary bandage (if it didn't cost or didn't cost so much if you referred a friend or something), but leaving it stay with the excuse of "if you don't like it, just pay 20 bux for leveling + 20 bux for the story to skip it, and then you can access all the cool content", and yes, they made an excuse to not fix the story being garbage early on by saying that "some people are doing it and it would be bad to just drop their quests", as if making things into sidequests isn't possible.

1. remaking early content to be fun = lots of work
2. leaving content the way it is and implementing jump potions = little work, $20 profit

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
More importantly:

Remaking all the early content will make some people happy and piss of others who liked it, but most just won't give a fuck because they're already past it.

Spending the same amount of time on new end game content will make basically everyone happy.

J1M

Arcane
Two of wow's greatest mistakes were:
-remaking the vanilla zones
-character model update

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really liked Heavensward expansion both MQ and dungeon wise. Last bunch of dungeons were really cool. Some trials and patched dungeons remain but we'll probably drop the game till new expanisons release.

Edit: Fucking midgets....

Stokowski

Arcane
Since 1~35 is the fairly sucky portion, then yeah, in a way. If you don't hate what the trial offers then the full game will come as a very pleasing experience.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am committing absolutely nothing right now as I haven't even created a char yet, but just DL'd this to try and wondering if any EU Codexers are still playing this and if so, what is the best server to go with?

I know how this goes, I start and get addicted then discover everything is happening on a different server! :negative:

Or... I start and remember what an enormous waste of time MMO's are, play for a few levels then get guilty about neglecting RL stuff and quit. Also- :negative:

*Edit* Not that it matters as no bugger replied, but all but two of the EU worlds were locked to new characters, so I went with the default suggestion of Ragnarok.

Taken my Cat Gladiator up to 12 and I'm starting to see the appeal. First 10 levels were pretty awful but I suppose you have to expect that. One thing I find I am missing from the usual MMO combat is the loot pinata effect. No gear at all from drops so far and I miss opening loot boxes, however convenient it is that looting is done automatically. I've found one chest in 13 levels, perhaps it changes later.

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So I'm at level 56, next story quest requires level 57, and...fuck, that's a lot of grinding between here and there. I'd hate to give up when I've come this far, but the prospect of doing this and then doing it again at the next 3 levels doesn't seem very appealing. What's the fastest way to get XP at this point?

Delterius

Arcane
Depends on what you are but it was fast enough for me to just do the newest possible dungeon, as well as roulettes. I was a healer eventually but I did the same thing as a Summoner all the way up to level 50. Just ignore people who tell you to go to the Palace of the Dead. Its useful to level secondary jobs, but not the very first one.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think I can do this men. I had a moment when I was playing last night, doing one of the story quests that I am rapidly outlevelling. I was running backwards and forwards in order to do a /dance emote in front of these Wood Fairies to watch my char do a silly pirouette when I had a real 'what the fuck am i doing with my life' moment.

I love how much there is in this game and I've barely scratched the surface, but I can't sit through 200 hours of this shit anymore now I'm an oldfag.

uYN85Dz.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom