Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Anyhoo, I would say that 5 might turn out okay, but one problem I would have, is that this will drive people away from trying more off-beat party combinations. With 5 party size, 90% of people will be running generic party of tank, healer, caster, ranged damage and chanter for the auras.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
PoE became a real clusterfuck with 6 party members. I don't mind the change at all. I'm more interested in what the lineup of companions will look like and how much content each one will get. Hoping for more and deeper companion quests than in PoE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I bet CD Projekt is feeling pretty smug now that they undoubtedly have the best RPG writers in the industry.

I'm guessing not many people tried fucking the figurines.

I did. I thought they were pretty well balanced and wouldn't want them to be any weaker.

ushas

Savant
badler do you happen to have any insight if by any chance the team contemplates the possibility that some fans in the far future would like to mod either PoE2 systems into PoE1 (smth. similar to BG Tutu?) or join the games into one long adventure (like BG Trilogy)?

I'm not saying it must be taken into account, nor sure whether it would be even possible. Perhaps overall modding support itself, externalizing etc., may help, if planned anyway. Just that the continuation of the Watcher's story (even with the lvl drop) and looking back at Baldur's Gate somewhat reminds me this possibility. Besides the save game importing I mean.

Fairfax

Arcane
I find it interesting how Sawyer is unwilling to change some things because they're D&D/IE traditions, but had no problem reducing the party size.
Josh has said several times that he thinks smaller parties play better, it's probably as simple as that.
It's also easy to balance (heh) the amount of content across companions, which was extremely inconsistent in PoE. Even though Durance and the Grieving Mother had a shitload of content cut, they still have a lot more than Kana Rua, Sagani, Pallegina, and so on. This would be even more of an issue with an understaffed writing team having to write a similar number of companions. The bad news, besides the consequences of the reduced party size, is that the game will surely have fewer companions. Considering the writers working on the game, if they miss the mark, the game won't have as many companions for players to replace the bad ones with.

Also:

nFJ3CFH.png

6 out of the 8 companions were written by people no longer working on PoE, including 4 of the 5 most popular ones. The new writers wrote Verse and Kills-in-Shadow in Tyranny. I think most here who played that game know that's not very encouraging. :M

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I've tried to keep up on the thread, but I'm getting ready to travel to a funeral, but did anyone post Josh's post on subclasses here? I don't want to post it if someone already has...

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've tried to keep up on the thread, but I'm getting ready to travel to a funeral, but did anyone post Josh's post on subclasses here? I don't want to post it if someone already has...
Infinitron quoted the whole update a page or two ago before people lost their shit over restarting at level 1. :D

(Also, condolences on whoever passed.)

Seaking4

Learned
It was posted.

I wish they had stuck with six party members instead of five (it just gives you more customization and allows for bigger battles) but I'm not at all surprised that they are reverting the PC to level 1. I think anyone who played WM2 with a level 17 character knows how crazy it got. I was hoping they would somehow find a way to drop your character's level. I'd be surprised if there isn't a quick series of level ups right at the beginning of the game.

Fever

Educated
I suppose the old companions are going down to level 1 with the watcher. Maybe we were all having a tea in the main hall of Caed Nua when Eothas woke up. Narratively acceptable, ah?
However, I was thinking about a level 5-7 start; honestly starting at 1 again is not a problem, and much better than starting at level 12 or 16 anyway. We will probably gain levels faster.

I'm more concerned about party size and the quality of companions. Among the actual writers, I only like Carrie Patel's work.
Pallegina was pretty terrible for me, and she also seems to be the least liked companion. I wonder why they would choose her instead of Sagani, who is tied to Deadfire and written by Patel. :roll:

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Infinitron quoted the whole update a page or two ago before people lost their shit over restarting at level 1. :D

(Also, condolences on whoever passed.)

Cool and thank you.

The subclass stuff is what I'm most excited about. I loved the kits in 2nd edition and I think the players are gonna dig it.

Sentinel

Arcane
I bet CD Projekt is feeling pretty smug now that they undoubtedly have the best RPG writers in the industry.
I'm not too sure about that. While they did some impressive stuff in Witcher 3 with Yennefer (she is an extremely nuanced character in the books and they absolutely nailed her in the game as well), their portrayal of Emhyr var Emreis, Eredin, Ciri and the Hunt was a complete clusterfuck (maybe because they had to change it so much). Although in Hearts of Stone they once again impressed with their adaptation of the mythological tale and absolutely nailing every major character in it, they again disappointed in B&W by fucking up Detlaff and Syanna. Even with this fuck up, they again completely nailed Regis.

Seems like they're fairly hit and miss. Either that, or they're outstanding at adapting other people's work, but shit the bed whenever they have to come up with something.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
It was posted.

I wish they had stuck with six party members instead of five (it just gives you more customization and allows for bigger battles) but I'm not at all surprised that they are reverting the PC to level 1. I think anyone who played WM2 with a level 17 character knows how crazy it got. I was hoping they would somehow find a way to drop your character's level. I'd be surprised if there isn't a quick series of level ups right at the beginning of the game.

The 5 character size party was news to me. Here's the thing, if it sucks, THAT is easy to change. I know enough about the system to know that, so I'm not worried about it yet.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think that Ranger companion is a Ghost Heart. She seems to be in the gameplay footage without a pet, but the art shows the bird.

I really hope they haven't de-leveled the companions as well. Just have you meet them later, or have them carry you for a bit (I wouldn't mind this, but I think having your PC underperform companions would be a turn off for a lot of RPGers). I doubt they'll all be there to get zapped with you, maybe Eder from the trailer narration.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not too sure about that. While they did some impressive stuff in Witcher 3 with Yennefer (she is an extremely nuanced character in the books and they absolutely nailed her in the game as well), their portrayal of Emhyr var Emreis, Eredin, Ciri and the Hunt was a complete clusterfuck (maybe because they had to change it so much). Although in Hearts of Stone they once again impressed with their adaptation of the mythological tale and absolutely nailing every major character in it, they again disappointed in B&W by fucking up Detlaff and Syanna. Even with this fuck up, they again completely nailed Regis.

Seems like they're fairly hit and miss. Either that, or they're outstanding at adapting other people's work, but shit the bed whenever they have to come up with something.

This isn't so much a praising of CD Projekt as it is a damning of everyone else. They have no competition.

Fry

Arcane
There's a fair amount of bitching about the level 1 thing over in Fig comments and a request to reverse it.

Considering it's been in development for over a year, I'm guessing that's a critical story and design choice that can't be changed at this point.

jungl

Augur
I think obsidian is trying to find that perfect balance where they don't scare people away with party micro. I have friends that were little annoyed with pillars micomanagement but absolutely hated tyranny because of all the cooldown abilities requiring way more management then pillars despite less party members.

Fairfax

Arcane
It was posted.

The 5 character size party was news to me. Here's the thing, if it sucks, THAT is easy to change. I know enough about the system to know that, so I'm not worried about it yet.
We don't know how much progress has been made, but it's a dramatic change to encounters. Most non-trash mobs would have to be rebalanced or the party would be OP.

My brother told me that you start at level one in this game. Is that true?
Yes.

This isn't so much a praising of CD Projekt as it is a damning of everyone else. They have no competition.
Avalon Studios may change that. +M

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
I read on Wiki that it will not be released until 2018 is that true? I don't think I'll mind the party of 5 I'll probably go: 2 tanks, rogue, priest and wizard. I'd like to maybe figure out a tank/Druid class.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom