Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm going to do a rerun of Pillars. I haven't played the expansions yet.

What I hope for PoE II:
More focus on different spell effects. Hold, stun, silence and stuff
A bit of humor here and there.
An antagonist that we see more of.
Don't keep very interesting parts of the story hidden until the last 10%
Flavor text that fits the setting. This was an issue in PoE and Tyranny.
Better pathfinding and better AI for both allies and enemies.
A more lived in world. Defiance Bay looked cool, but it was clean and didn't feel lived in.

Delterius

Arcane
hxzUoG6.png

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
None of the investors have input in the game.

The backers (pledges) will actually have input via the forums and the beta tests.

If you say so, but it does remove some of the transparency that was a big selling point around the first round of kickstarters. Also, the sense of achievement is just not there with these figstarters. If the crowd-funded part was completely separate from the investor part, and only the former counted towards the goals and things then it would feel much more like a community achievement again.

Edit: I sound hopelessly naive.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
None of the investors have input in the game.

The backers (pledges) will actually have input via the forums and the beta tests.

If you say so, but it does remove some of the transparency that was a big selling point around the first round of kickstarters. Also, the sense of achievement is just not there with these figstarters. If the crowd-funded part was completely separate from the investor part, and only the former counted towards the goals and things then it would feel much more like a community achievement again.

Edit: I sound hopelessly naive.

I don't think you sound naive, it's different for everyone.

When I back something, I back it, and move on.
For others, they get actively involved, work, evangelize, submit feedback, etc.

I think during PoE 1, the team at Obsidian was pretty good at engaging with the community and sending updates. I don't think that will change, I don't think the team could even stop themselves.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We funded! Thank you so much everyone! We also revealed our first stretch goal - $1.4M for sub-classes. We will be getting an update out today (Friday) with more details from Josh Sawyer on what's so cool about sub-classes.

Caught flat-flooted again, Obsidian? Well at least the actual stretch goals were prepared in advance.

Perkel

Arcane
Glad to see subclasses.
Hopefully they will be BOTH + and - in certain regions. Instead of being only +.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I don't see how multi-classing will work in PoE's rigid and linear class system. I assume it will be something similar to class talents you get in PoE1 where you get weaker unique bonuses of the classes. I love hybrids but I just don't see it working in a meaningful way in PoE other than min-maxing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's interesting that Paradox haven't advertised the Fig campaign in any way. My guess is Obsidian are keeping their options open.

ushas

Savant
Interesting. While insisting on adhering to 6 attributes (?) and other stuff, due to being a spiritual successor to infinity engine games or so, for the sequel it seems more relaxed seeing the party size reduction. For those, who don't like odd numbers, it's like PC + 4 companions. However, if it will go to only 4 in total, that can put the game into the box with all the other four-party experiments...

Does anybody know are hirelings in for the sequel?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Funny thing about Tyranny is that people relentlessly mocked its companions (and their writers) during development, but when the game came out they turned out to be a pretty underwritten and minor part of it.

And now PoE2 is supposed to have deeper companions than ever before.

Fry

Arcane
It's interesting that Paradox haven't advertised the Fig campaign in any way. My guess is Obsidian are keeping their options open.

The physical reward shipping costs seem to be calculated for a US origin. When Paradox took over PoE1 fulfillment, they shipped to Euro customers from Europe correct? May be an indication they're not involved.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Funny thing about Tyranny is that people relentlessly mocked its companions (and their writers) during development, but when the game came out they turned out to be a pretty underwritten and minor part of it.

And now PoE2 is supposed to have deeper companions than ever before.

Tyranny's companions were one good thing about it. Not the companions as characters itself but the way interact with each other and the PC definitely felt much more natural and flowed almost seamlessly in the game world. As opposed to PoE's companions who to me felt completely detached from each other and the game world aside from their own background except Eder who felt like he belonged and perhaps Sagani due circumstances of her background. Same with TWM companions, as much as I liked the Devil and Zohua they feel standalone.

Quillon

Arcane

Both parts of this sentence support each other and are negative, howzit funny?

Said thing about Tyranny...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom