Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced and Live on Fig

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't believe they thought a walking giant avatar of god through, they just needed a cool pitch that would personally affect everyone who played PoE1, and they did well. But the consequences for the setting from this... PoE was established with all medievalish weapons and armor and guns, inspired by Dark Lands, and last time a god tried to interfere with mortals other gods quickly put everything back into balance.
These jumps through levels of epicness just feel so odd. Settings, generally, exist for players to play particular stuff. And I am beginning to lose my understanding at what is PoE one all about with titans jumping out of nowhere

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't believe they thought a walking giant avatar of god through, they just needed a cool pitch that would personally affect everyone who played PoE1, and they did well. But the consequences for the setting from this... PoE was established with all medievalish weapons and armor and guns, inspired by Dark Lands, and last time a god tried to interfere with mortals other gods quickly put everything back into balance.
These jumps through levels of epicness just feel so odd. Settings, generally, exist for players to play particular stuff. And I am beginning to lose my understanding at what is PoE one all about with titans jumping out of nowhere

Guess you didn't read the ending slides if you anger the gods.

Caconym

Savant
I'll take most anything that would make the setting less dull, the more out there the better in fact.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:takemymoney:

I hope my pledge was the one that put this over $1 million! The first game wasn't perfect by any means but I enjoyed it a lot and this seems like an improvement for the most part. I hope they can manage decent writing without MCA, though - his characters were by far the most interesting ones in PoE 1.

sstacks

Arcane
So evidently this was on Guido Henkel's Facebook earlier today. I understand there were also insinuations of engine similarities as well.
Infinitron

qrdBKro.jpg

Fairfax

Arcane
I'm sure he could have done something like this too.
How can you be sure he would? He's written 2 plots to date, none being similar to that.

The thing about Avellone is - he can adapt to practically any plot you throw at him and find the good and unusual parts in it. Just look how he single-handedly elevated PoE's world and lore building with Durance.
Agreed. Still, I'd like to believe he'd come up with something better, considering they have full creative freedom and own the IP.

Granted, PoE2 has the challenge of having to come up with an excuse for the PC losing all powers and loot, but their solution doesn't even go all the way. Getting fucked up and having your castle destroyed gets rid of your stuff, but it doesn't explain going back to level 1, so why bother? Not to mention the old companions, who will be back to square one as well.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Didn't she do an interview with the Codex a year or so ago?

Let's make an all female interview next time because sorority. I have all figured out. Carry Patel will be interviewed by Scrooge and Crocked Bee to discuss the perils of being a woman in a male dominated culture. If Patel take advantage of the situation to hit on one of the two, we will know that
clear.png
she is a dyke, for sure.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How can you be sure he would? He's written 2 plots to date, none being similar to that.

The thing about Avellone is - he can adapt to practically any plot you throw at him and find the good and unusual parts in it. Just look how he single-handedly elevated PoE's world and lore building with Durance.
Agreed. Still, I'd like to believe he'd come up with something better, considering they have full creative freedom and own the IP.

Granted, PoE2 has the challenge of having to come up with an excuse for the PC losing all powers and loot, but their solution doesn't even go all the way. Getting fucked up and having your castle destroyed gets rid of your stuff, but it doesn't explain going back to level 1, so why bother? Not to mention the old companions, who will be back to square one as well.
where this was confirmed? I thought we qould continue fron level 12 to 16 depend on you play or not play the white march

Are they seriously going to fight over the name "Deadfire"? This is something a 13 year old could come up with for his heavy metal band name, and in 10 years would be too embarassed to even tell the story to his friends. It's bad enough that they inflict this terrible, banal non-word upon us, and now they have to argue over who thought of it first?!

When I was 12 I invented a fantasy character named Lord Twilight. I hereby allow any developer to use this name in their next game free of charge.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
where this was confirmed? I thought we qould continue fron level 12 to 16 depend on you play or not play the white march
I'd be interested in that as well.
Wouldn't mind either way, tbh, but it is an interesting question.

Fairfax

Arcane

I just assumed that would be the case,. If not, how are they going to balance the game around that? Level scaling? Everybody starts at level 12-16? Because I doubt they'll make 2 versions of every single encounter depending on whether you loaded an old save or not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll repeat my theory on how they could handle levels:

1) Let players start at level 1, but have the game's prologue level you up very rapidly to level 6 or so.
2) Chop imported characters' level in half (due to SOUL SUCKING), so a vanilla PoE player starts at level 6, and a White March player gets level 7 or 8. That will give you a reasonable mid-level to high level (16-20 with DLC?) experience.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So you chase around a powerful being that stole your soul and you use ships to get around and fight vs pirates as well?
So is this BG2 or PoE 2?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I just assumed that would be the case,. If not, how are they going to balance the game around that? Level scaling? Everybody starts at level 12-16? Because I doubt they'll make 2 versions of every single encounter depending on whether you loaded an old save or not.
baldurs gate 2 starts you at level 7 just fine. New players start the same too.

Trails in the sky sc also start from level 35 ifcyou dont import or your character is below 35.

You dont have to start at level one. Make the level cap 30. You are fighting a god after all. No more playin around with xaurips i hope. I just hope the encounters are motb or throne of bhaal level and they goes away with those xaurips crap.

New players just can get points so they can build new,character accordingly

Sizzle

Arcane

I was referring more to how a good writer/designer can make (almost) any idea good (or at least better) if they know what they are doing and understand their craft.

If you reduce the plot of practically any RPG masterpiece, you would likely get something that sounds silly until you've actually played it.

- Arcanum: your blimp crashed, and a dwarf cosplaying as a gnome gave you a ring.

- Fallout: a water purification chip in a nuclear shelter vault stopped working, so now you have to find another one.

- Fallout 2: Ooooh, this time it's a G.E.C.K.!

etc.

What I mean is - it's more how they handle the idea, the execution of it, that matters.

aratuk

Cipher
It's almost like RPG designers should stop reusing the same pool of adolescent drama words. Deathfire Dragon Dungeon: The Reborn Summoning Conquest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom