Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced and Live on Fig

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not a single world on system changes (other than multi-class) probably means it'll have the same impact-less incarnation of "meh, nothing matters, everything works" system as part 1.
Too bad, really, as that was the only thing that really needed an overhaul.
Not that I'd object to any of the other improvements.

Good to hear that battles might be harder, though. But of course, I'll have to see proof of that.

Sawyer hates class-systems and was forced into doing this when Obsidian was bankrupting in 2012. He is a huge proponent of classless system, sheep.
Possible, but I don't really get what classes vs classless has to do with it.
Both systems can work well and offer interesting mechanisms and choices for a character build.

Or do you mean it is so utterly bland because he was forced to do something he didn't want to do?

karfhud

Augur
Backed. I really like the improved visual quality, they can finally render out proper vista shots of the environment, for the loading screens!

Plus, stronghold in the form of a pirate ship? Cautiously excited.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So many serious people online today. I guess you didn't see my post about half of Codex only being here to troll the other half?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
you would have brought up Maneha

Because she is in to broads? Stretch, though that is all that's needed for some.

Nah, I have no problem with her being gay, just the way it was executed - she's the only companion who's got a modern feel to her. I mean, just listen to these banters she has with Kana Rua:

My problem with that (and most of her lines) is mostly the VA. Sounds like there's absolutely no direction or context given for the reading. Probably made her my least favourite companion.

But I quite liked her stories of her past and awakened soul. Her quest resolutions were also good and tied in well with TWM main quest. Not really worried about Patel writing more for Deadfire.

DeepOcean

Arcane
All the edgyness aside, they seem to realize their Ai, combat encounters and pathfinding suck major balls to the point of promising to fix that on the pitch, that is an advance. The adition of multiclassing could shake up things a bit in terms of character building. We will see, don't trust on promises.

About writing (dialog, themes, lore, setting, world building, everything), however, I have zero hopes for Obsidian. This Eothas incarnating on the giant stone statue under your house and making you somehow cursed seems like really contrived shit to start a story. Man, Avellone writing is being missed on Obsidian, the B writing intern team are really weak.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
About writing (dialog, themes, lore, setting, world building, everything), however, I have zero hopes for Obsidian. This Eothas incarnating on the giant stone statue under your house and making you somehow cursed seems like really contrived shit to start a story. Man, Avellone writing is being missed on Obsidian, the B writing intern team are really weak.

Yeah, the basic "god-hunt" premise sounds pretty trite.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This Eothas incarnating on the giant stone statue under your house and making you somehow cursed seems like really contrived shit to start a story. Man, Avellone writing is being missed on Obsidian

As opposed to waking up on a slab with amnesia and finding yourself somehow cursed. :P

Sizzle

Arcane
you would have brought up Maneha

Because she is in to broads? Stretch, though that is all that's needed for some.

Nah, I have no problem with her being gay, just the way it was executed - she's the only companion who's got a modern feel to her. I mean, just listen to these banters she has with Kana Rua:

My problem with that (and most of her lines) is mostly the VA. Sounds like there's absolutely no direction or context given for the reading. Probably made her my least favourite companion.

But I quite liked her stories of her past and awakened soul. Her quest resolutions were also good and tied in well with TWM main quest. Not really worried about Patel writing more for Deadfire.

I also really disliked her VA, but even so, talking about "oh, you want to be that friend" makes her sound like she's from a TV show.

Also, I wasn't that happy with her conflict (it was too similar to Aloth's - another character she also wrote), or her quest. Out of all the TWM companions, I only really liked Zahua's quest.

But yeah, don't have a problem with Patel (and don't give a shit about her hairstyle), she did some good work on PoE.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This Eothas incarnating on the giant stone statue under your house and making you somehow cursed seems like really contrived shit to start a story. Man, Avellone writing is being missed on Obsidian

As opposed to waking up on a slab with amnesia and finding yourself somehow cursed. :P
Yeah, I'm aware of that but keep in mind that this is the main drive for the player go chasing Eothas. On MotB, you need to discover shit about your past or you gonna die, everything was about the curse and its story and it was properly represented on the game. On PoE, you somehow is on the wrong place and on the wrong time, having your soul in danger somehow by some barely explained soul condition that is quickly forgotten and don't reflect on gameplay. They didn't give me any reason to think they won't do this lame shit again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're desperately in need of a sense of humor, duanth. :P

It's not incorrect to point out that Chris Avellone has his own set of contrivances and yes, he uses them very skillfully. I'm sure he could have done something like this too.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, if you pay an extra $30 you can get a GOG key. :)

But yeah, Steam-locked.

Right... so, no DRM-free for that tier. Disc version would be as useful as inXile's DRM-free one, pretty much.

Should make that clear, I think.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm sure he could have done something like this too.
How can you be sure he would? He's written 2 plots to date, none being similar to that.

Well, I was initially thinking he would be told to do it. :M But actually, MCA's no stranger to "haunted survivor of an epic disaster" narratives. Caed Nua as Malachor V or The Divide?

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Not a single world on system changes (other than multi-class) probably means it'll have the same impact-less incarnation of "meh, nothing matters, everything works" system as part 1.

Sawyer hates class-systems and was forced into doing this when Obsidian was bankrupting in 2012. He is a huge proponent of classless system, sheep.
Possible, but I don't really get what classes vs classless has to do with it.
Both systems can work well and offer interesting mechanisms and choices for a character build.

Or do you mean it is so utterly bland because he was forced to do something he didn't want to do?

What I wanted to emphasize is that, due to his stated preferences, Sawyer might be trying to subtly nudge the system to less differentiation between classes and specialization. He's rather have you develop your characters towards whatever role he identifies as desirable in combat (tank, damage-dealer, healer, support, useless distraction), independent of original class. This leads to the "everything works" feel.

I don't think he goes too far, thus PoE's class system works for me and is fun to play, but I feel it's not a great system because his heart was not into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom