Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Will there be animations for unsheathing/sheathing the swords?
will scabards have unique models that fit their weapon (like Dark Souls 1 and 3) or will it be one scabbard to rule them all?

1. Yes.

2. I don't know.

ColCol

Arcane
The plot kinda reminds me of infamous 2.....

But that said, do you think Eothas will stay in the giant? I have a feeling he won't. Also, one thing I like to see improved upon in this sequel is encounters with enemy parties.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Wasn't it revealed at some point that part of the giant had already been eaten away? Wasn't something feeding on it? The dragon maybe?

Also, the picture of Eder has several images of the same armor. Is armor going to be customizable visually to some extent? Or perhaps some companions armor will have a default look early on that expands on the base design over the game?

I remember reading on here that a theory behind why Eothas invaded was to shut down the machines causing the hollowborn. Maybe that was incorrect since he kicks the Watcher's ass after having accomplished that. Or maybe he takes the watcher's soul to accomplish that same task in the deadfire region somehow?

Deleted Member 16721

Have you ever tried playing with 4 or 5 characters ? In BG, IWD or whatever ?

If you have Fighter, Cleric, Thief and mage and no one else you have 4 characters possibly going against 10 or 15 characters at the time. Which means your line of defense is shit and your mage and thief will get pounded hard. Even with 5 characters you still need to decide between rogue or mage or cleric because you need at front someone who can actually fight from start.

In other words standard party fighter, cleric, rogue, mage is not most effective party anymore. If it isn't anymore most effective then you start to think and look for synergies and this is where real tactical combat instead of garbage whatever starts.

Cleric buffs people and heals so 1 cleric 1 rogue and 3 fighters suddenly seems like very good idea. Your rogue will take out mages while your fighters will deal mayhem
3 wizards 2 rogues also suddenly becomes good idea. Wizards will summon monsters to deal with front combat and throw heavy stuff while 2 rogues will be killing in back most of enemy mages and ranged units.

This is sort of thinking that gives you tactical fights. This also means that you will have times of ups where you team will work like fucking murderhammer and downtimes where you will have to think about solving a puzzle because your team ins't most effective in this situation or change their gear for incoming fight, or use items, wands etc.

You might be trolling me here, but if not, I'm having a hard time figuring out why 5 is tactical to you but 6 is not...?

You realize you can make combat tactical with any size of party, from 3 to 12 and more. Games like Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Toghether, Fire Emblem and other strategy RPGs like this use larger parties and still create interesting synergies and tactical options. As long as the game is designed and balanced around the amount of characters you have, it can be tactical.

I simply like 6 more because quantity is better to me when you start dealing with party members. As I've said, I'd rather have a game where you can recruit 20 playable charcters that each have a few interesting things over a game that lets you recruit 5 really polished ones. That's just me, though.

And this is all just a silly side note conversation. I am fine with 5 in PoE and think the game will be great. :)

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wasn't it revealed at some point that part of the giant had already been eaten away? Wasn't something feeding on it? The dragon maybe?

Also, the picture of Eder has several images of the same armor. Is armor going to be customizable visually to some extent? Or perhaps some companions armor will have a default look early on that expands on the base design over the game?

I remember reading on here that a theory behind why Eothas invaded was to shut down the machines causing the hollowborn. Maybe that was incorrect since he kicks the Watcher's ass after having accomplished that. Or maybe he takes the watcher's soul to accomplish that same task in the deadfire region somehow?

I recall that the beetles were on the Fampyr level. Something about that arm being cut off and that's what made the one Fampyr take over and stop the others from accessing it, he thought it would run out of souls(?).

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Crazed_Fampyr

Wiki says the beetles just started, guess cutting through hadn't happened yet.

Quillon

Arcane
What determines the fig percentage? The total has just jumped from 68% to 80%. Is it fig's own pre-invested pre-campaign money or post-campaign start investor money?

Anyway let's see some stretches.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
PoE1 earnt 1.1 million in something like 25-30 hours, looks like PoE2 is on track to match it, with investments but still on FIG, which has a low take of pledged funds so they get around 5% more iirc.

Impressive considering the drop off for Wasteland 3 vs Wasteland 2.

Damn! That earned money fast. Anyone here investing in it?

Investing is a really shitty idea. Unless they release the game in early 2019, your money is going to be locked up for most likely 36 months, and get a return something like 1.13-1.2 times investment, with a huge risk of the game underselling. You'd be better to put it in a savings account, 3 years of compound interest at 6% will earn you just as much money *far more safely.*

Investing will only pay off if the game sells much more than a million copies new and returns 1.4x or above, which very unlikely given the sheer competition on Steam for the gaming dollar will only increase as the console generation matures and the flood of console AAA titles increases. Consider how Tyranny flopped, that could easily happen to Pillars of Eternity and it only sells 400k new because a AAA game dropped right by its release window.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone bothered trying to translate the book text at the start of the pitch video using one of the alphabet images Sawyer has posted?

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
badler will there be collectors boxes for sale after the fig campaign?
I haven't talked to anyone running the campaign about upgrades or post-Fig pledges. We did it in a limited capacity on the first game, but there may be some reason we can't do it with Fig. I'll ask around tomorrow to see what's planned.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Can someone explain to me how this works? I mean, when they will reveal the stretch goals, they must be funded within the 30 ( cd already started) days to be effective?

It's a marathon, not a sprint. New information will be forthcoming almost every business day I believe. badler ?

I know that a bunch of additional information will come out over the length of the campaign, but I wasn't a part of any of the planning (beyond the initial planning I did about a year ago). A lot has changed since then.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
In addition to the rich and diverse environments, Pillars II will feature intense and immersive dynamic weather. Rains, fierce winds and sandstorms are among the harsher conditions that are commonplace in Deadfire. You’ll even hear the rain pounding on the roof when you go inside.

Graphical and sound effects and animations are great, but I wonder too, besides schedules, how does the weather influence the gameplay. I mean, for example what happens to the party in the sandstorm, what about the fighting under the weather conditions, or how would creatures react, etc.

Would be neat if Eothazilla can also manage some small earthquakes or tsunamis.
(though, something like ~15 floor building can be 50+ meters tall, not sure about the adra material)

Also beetles are in!

I was designing some creatures for PoE2 before heading off to another project recently. One of my creature ability designs had to do with weather conditions and manipulation. Not sure if it will make it into the game, but the team is definitely thinking about how to do some fun stuff with the system.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was designing some creatures for PoE2 before heading off to another project recently. One of my creature ability designs had to do with weather conditions and manipulation. Not sure if it will make it into the game, but the team is definitely thinking about how to do some fun stuff with the system.

Hold Sawyer at arquebus-point until he yields to your design propositions.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone bothered trying to translate the book text at the start of the pitch video using one of the alphabet images Sawyer has posted?
We're crazy but not THIS crazy (at least for now).
Made a start, got bored. "The return of Eothas was not heralded in any way. DHOUGH (guess that's just though) would be prophets..."

http://68.media.tumblr.com/c10afb7ecb74202e41a6a3de648b399d/tumblr_ojcq5xcK7b1vwqwj5o1_500.jpg use that, top one. MAD UPVOTES IF YOU DO!

Changed my mind, if someone's done this will kill myself later, NO ONE BEAT ME TO IT PLEASE!

"...had foretold of the god's return since the detonation of the godhammer..."

Last edited:

cruelio

Savant
They're at $910,352 but that's with $444k of nebulous "fig funds" (their own money?) and $466k in pledges from actual human beings. Not very inspiring, especially since it looks like they're inflating the amount "raised" to create/sustain interest.

Cadmus

Arcane
In addition to the rich and diverse environments, Pillars II will feature intense and immersive dynamic weather. Rains, fierce winds and sandstorms are among the harsher conditions that are commonplace in Deadfire. You’ll even hear the rain pounding on the roof when you go inside.

Graphical and sound effects and animations are great, but I wonder too, besides schedules, how does the weather influence the gameplay. I mean, for example what happens to the party in the sandstorm, what about the fighting under the weather conditions, or how would creatures react, etc.

Would be neat if Eothazilla can also manage some small earthquakes or tsunamis.
(though, something like ~15 floor building can be 50+ meters tall, not sure about the adra material)

Also beetles are in!

+3% DEFLECTION when standing in the rain. Doesn't apply to rain cast by the player. Does apply indoors. Might be later changed to +2% or +4% to make sure it's balanced.
osom.
Fucking tell me it's otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom