Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Fucking 2 days...

freezer mode.
Why even be excited?
You already know all there is to know about the game.

* Sea/coastal environment
* You will most likely travel by boat
* Three returning NPCs
* Multi-classing
* Druid and Priest ability pruning
* Soundtrack will still be shit
* Combat will improve
* Every writer worth a dime left

At this point the only mystery is what the story is about.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If they get the combat, encounter design and itemization well the writing can be ignored.

Turjan

Arcane
I guess I wasn't paying attention. What was this about?

Not sure what to think about multi-classing, either. It's usually hard to balance. I guess someone particular will get an OCD burnout.

axedice

Cipher

At this point, the only -worthwhile- mystery is whether Sawyer decided to erase Avellone from the PoE World completely or not.

If the last slide is not a bubble-gum chewing Durance out of bubblegum... :argh:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

At this point, the only -worthwhile- mystery is whether Sawyer decided to erase Avellone from the PoE World completely or not.

If the last slide is not a bubble-gum chewing Durance out of bubblegum... :argh:

I asked him whether Durance was deleted from the setting and he said no. :M Doesn't mean he'll be in the game though.

Sentinel

Arcane
I guess I wasn't paying attention. What was this about?

Not sure what to think about multi-classing, either. It's usually hard to balance. I guess someone particular will get an OCD burnout.
It was about Druids and Priests having way too many abilities that overlapped with Wizards and ended up feeling like filler.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, it was about Priests having too many spells available at any one time (unlike a Wizard whose spell selection is limited by his spellbook slots)

One theory is that this will be dealt with by giving them different sets of spells depending on their deity. But the last time we heard about this was in 2015 or something, so it might also end up not happening.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
I sacced Eder for 1 Might, guess I'm gonna have to replay, was hoping they will pull a Bg2 with the companions.

If it turns out only as nice as PoE 3.0 life is still gonna be pretty good.

It was about Druids and Priests having way too many abilities that overlapped with Wizards and ended up feeling like filler.

They'll probably do something about the 3 Vancians mechanically, they were way too good at higher levels.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They have to do something to priest and druid spells, most of them do indeed feel like filler.

Turjan

Arcane
I didn't have the feeling that my druid had too many overlapping spells with anyone. He worked nicely together with a priest and a wizard. However, there were quite a few spells of which I didn't really know what they were useful for.

In principle, a spellcaster druid is supposed to be mix of priest and wizard, so I don't really see anything wrong with the current concept. Also, it's hard to not have overlapping spells if the wizard class has basically access to the whole spectrum except healing.
No, it was about Priests having too many spells available at any one time (unlike a Wizard whose spell selection is limited by his spellbook slots)

One theory is that this will be dealt with by giving them different sets of spells depending on their deity. But the last time we heard about this is in 2015 or something, so it might also end up not happening.
Meh. The wizard has more different spells available on the two highest levels than the druid or the priest. Also, the highest druid spells are somewhat lackluster. I guess all classes have their good spell/ability levels and their not so good levels.

Sentinel

Arcane
I didn't have the feeling that my druid had too many overlapping spells with anyone. He worked nicely together with a priest and a wizard. However, there were quite a few spells of which I didn't really know what they were useful for.

In principle, a spellcaster druid is supposed to be mix of priest and wizard, so I don't really see anything wrong with the current concept. Also, it's hard to not have overlapping spells if the wizard class has basically access to the whole spectrum except healing.

One theory is that this will be dealt with by giving them different sets of spells depending on their deity. But the last time we heard about this is in 2015 or something, so it might also end up not happening.
Meh. The wizard has more different spells available on the two highest levels than the druid or the priest. Also, the highest druid spells are somewhat lackluster. I guess all classes have their good spell/ability levels and their not so good levels.
The druid shouldn't be primarily a caster. PoE Druid is a fucking disaster. It's an elemental AoE Wizard. Even WoW, a fucking MMORPG, has better druids. You can actually spend tmie shapeshifted in that game. In PoE not only is shapeshifting pure garbage for 80% of the game, it lasts for 10 seconds or so. It's embarrassing.

Sizzle

Arcane
One theory is that this will be dealt with by giving them different sets of spells depending on their deity.

Seeing as there is probably going to be a priest companion, this would be a fantastic idea to differentiate between priest kits (one talent and 8th level spell like it is in PoE1 isn't nearly enough).

Let's hope they do that, they can easily make up different spells for different gods (for example - Berath: more "resurrection" spells, Skaen: poison based spells, Magran: fire, obviously, etc).

Turjan

Arcane
The druid shouldn't be primarily a caster. PoE Druid is a fucking disaster. It's an elemental AoE Wizard. Even WoW, a fucking MMORPG, has better druids. You can actually spend tmie shapeshifted in that game. In PoE not only is shapeshifting pure garbage for 80% of the game, it lasts for 10 seconds or so. It's embarrassing.
I agree that shapeshifting in PoE is too weak. However, an elementary caster with some healing is also a proper option for a D&D druid.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just out of curiosity: is there any way PoE2 really satisfies you? I mean, what does the game need for you to really enjoy?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Just out of curiosity: is there any way PoE2 really satisfies you? I mean, what does the game need for you to really enjoy?
If I can do half the fuckery that Thaos could do as a Watcher, such as soul possession, causing mass hysteria, etc. Perhaps even if Obsidian delved into the idea of being functionally immortal. You can die, but eventually you come back with all of your memories as Thaos did. A plot in which I troll the BBEG over several lifetimes.

Edit: Honestly, I would just like a game that scratches the same itch as New Vegas in terms of factions and characters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Druids are usually hard to implement without feeling like a themed priest and I don't think PoE nailed it. I don't think they nailed priests either (my usual go-to class).

Sherry

Arcane

Hi!

Gosh. I must be honest and say I am more excited right now than satisfied. Blurbs of quotes is not enough to satisfy anyone I gather.

What would satisfy me though? okay. Okay. OKAY!

- Regional area loads/faster load times. Enter a village, town or city and it loads all interior areas connected to said area. You can exit/enter shops/inns/taverns with an individual without needing the entire party. Like Baldur's Gate does.
- White March-like design and atmosphere. The complexity and direction they took with White March I and White March ][ stand out to me more than the stock game itself. It shows promise of the future!
- Another member here mentioned using a ship to move about from region to region, making the ship your stronghold. I so <3 this idea! It makes a stronghold have a use. You can leave your companions behind and pick them up whenever you're back on the ship as you explore wherever it is we're made to explore. Whether or not this happens, I think it is a smart design idea. (I am truly sorry for not knowing who suggested it or I would name you). :hug:
- Multi-class characters. This will happen, I have no doubt about it. :cool:
- Remove item crafting and offer a better reward system. I never liked the idea of being able to craft better items than what can be found. Finding goodies is always more fun.
- Remove fluff yellow tagged NPCs and tombstones. I would rather see day/night schedules like Ultima to make a city/town/village seem populated vs. backer NPCs.
- Moar great music by East Connection Music Recording Company!
- Perhaps a whole new start to the game, but using the data stored from POE/WM12 choices to shape the world. You start at level 1 and face the consequences of a changing world based on choices of another. The world would change regardless. I say this because someone else made a good point in this thread or another. What is left to do when one was already exposed to Dragons? And Gods? (I am truly sorry a second time for not knowing who suggest this or I would name you too!) :hug:

"I'm the only one who thinks PoE ost was great?" Mazisky - no you are not. I think the soundtrack is a wonderful addition to the game. I have listened to it many times outside of the game and it is very soothing.

How about the rest of you? I'd love to read what you think.

Thanks,
Randal

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom