Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Nice change on the negotiations, they still won't be very interesting but this way is definitely better with little work required. Situations sound great, the more systemic stuff like this the better.

Fuck me I can't wait for the release. What's the last word on modding for BB?

Zanzoken

Arcane
Situations stuff is great but the change to negotiations seems pointless. If you always get the same amount of money then why bother?

There are options between doing nothing and turning this into a full on minigame. You could play around with risk/reward, reputation effects, even optional objectives.

Zanzoken

Arcane
What are everyone's thoughts on two handers? The damage output is awesome but not having a shield is a big defensive trade off, particularly vs ranged.

Also weapon choice for 2h guys? I have tried all three but seem to get the best all-around results from axes. They offer a solid mix of raw damage and armor penetration, the best shield damage, plus the ability to hit the head which can be huge.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
What are everyone's thoughts on two handers? The damage output is awesome but not having a shield is a big defensive trade off, particularly vs ranged.

Also weapon choice for 2h guys? I have tried all three but seem to get the best all-around results from axes. They offer a solid mix of raw damage and armor penetration, the best shield damage, plus the ability to hit the head which can be huge.

I'll run with four to six two-handers once they've hit around level 7--they can usually fight well in heavy armour at that point and have some points in raw defense. Their real Achilles' heel are daggers that ignore armour. Keep their armour in good repair and always run with good helmets and archers aren't very dangerous, especially bowmen. I suppose they're more vulnerable to goblin poison, but usually it's acceptable to me (especially since it's not deadly, just a debuff, when they're poisoned).

Having experimented with all the two-handed weapons (you should check out the berserker chain, too!), I swear by greatswords for their versatility. You can actually aim their AoE swing and their two-row deep cuts are insanely useful. Built right, greatsword bros can wipe out 4+ enemies a turn when the opportunity arises. I rarely notice a much higher time to kill with my axemen than my swordmen. Axes are nice for when you're surrounded, but I avoid that at all costs. Lastly, I guess I don't target shields very much after a certain point in the game. Once your bros' CTH gets up there, it's better to target enemies directly rather than try to deny them shield bonuses.

That said, it doesn't hurt to use a mix for a while, unless you're committing to a weapon mastery perk.

Kuattro

Augur
Two handers are right now the be-all end-all of the game. As soon as you get a good amount of them rolling (I have 7 I think, and only because I stopped training more of them when I found out how much I was destroying anything that stood in my way) you just point them in the right direction and watch heads fly.

That said, yes, defense is a concern. I never took off their shield until they got "Reach advantage", which to me is the most important trait for a two hander. Get that, and your brothers will basically be untouchable as long as they are landing hits. That plus heavy armor and you have yourself an indestructible killing machine.

Ranged should never be a problem though. Attack at night (and at this high level, you can always choose your battles), problem solved.

Weapons, as has been said, greatsword is the most versatile, you can never go wrong. The hammer not only can destroy heavy armor in a split second, but it can also stagger the enemy, which makes them attack last next turn, and knock them back, which makes them waste fatigue and APs in getting in position again. Great hammer, great fun.

Great axes, sadly, I have not tried, because I got so enthused with the sword that I only started thinking about diversifying when only one of my brothers had not chosen his specialty (and he got the hammer), but I would definitely use them. They can also destroy armor easily, they can hit heads at least as good as the sword (even better I think), and they have an attack that can hit six enemies in a turn. Getting yourself surrounded by six enemies may seem suicide, but underdog makes that a lot less scary. Especially paired with reach advantage. Give that man an axe, and start hitting people. If you manage six hits, that's 120% melee defense bonus. Again, problem solved.

So, my thoughts on two handers: Yes please.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Has someone tried creating lightly armored melee Brothers with 'Nimble' and 'Dodge'?

It doesn't seem to be a very durable build. I gave a Brother with 40 melee defense - wich isn't great but pretty good - the 'Nimble' perk and he got a +5 bonus without any armor and +3 with a special leather/mail combo with 180. That seems to be a bad trade-off for the 300 armor a scalecoat gives you.

Sure, you get more fatigue, but since every attack has a 5% chance no matter how high your defense is, you're gonna get caught sometimes and lategame you don't survive many hits.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Has someone tried creating lightly armored melee Brothers with 'Nimble' and 'Dodge'?

It doesn't seem to be a very durable build. I gave a Brother with 40 melee defense - wich isn't great but pretty good - the 'Nimble' perk and he got a +5 bonus without any armor and +3 with a special leather/mail combo with 180. That seems to be a bad trade-off for the 300 armor a scalecoat gives you.

Sure, you get more fatigue, but since every attack has a 5% chance no matter how high your defense is, you're gonna get caught sometimes and lategame you don't survive many hits.

Yeah, if there's a really good way to build a low armour build with those perks, I haven't worked it out yet, especially because taking advantage of Reach Advantage seems to hurt the Nimble bonus. As for stats, it seems like all you're doing is saving yourself from having to invest too heavily in fatigue while increasing the importance of health and initiative a lot.

About the only way I can see for this build to be useful at present is with an archer who's using Berserk to fire three times a turn every turn--they actually burn fatigue at a decent clip, for one, and you can skimp on armour for them unless you're facing vampires (I think Anticipation would be an almost must for 'em).

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
My archers are Bow/Polearm hybrids. I just pump Melee Attack, Ranged Attack and Fatigue with them with only the occasional Ranged Defense on bad rolls otherwise. They wear scale armor and padded flat top until I find fitting uniques.

Maybe worth a try to shift some points from Fatigue to Ranged Defense, with Nimble and Anticipation instead of Brawny and ... something else. I'm skeptical though.

Thanks mate!

Reinhardt

Arcane
10th day, 2* contract, 2 marksmen, 3 raiders and 3 thugs. One of my new recruits died. And...
f2q0qu.jpg

Last edited:

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
header_wrap.jpg

Dev Blog #96: Wrapping Things Up
We’re beginning to wrap things up this week by finishing the last remaining items on our roadmap of things to make it into the final major update. The obituary is done, the veterans’ hall is now fully working, and we’ve added a whole bunch of smaller features. If all goes according to plan, you can expect the update to hit the beta branch of the game later in February. Let’s take a look at shiny new things!

Training Hall
Formerly known as the Veterans’ Hall, the Training Hall is now working fully in the game. Usually to be found at larger cities and castles, you can pay to have your men trained in various ways here to shape them into hardened mercenaries – especially useful for mercenary companies later in the game that take on new blood.

Obituary
Also known as the memorial wall or graveyard, the obituary is a new screen that lists all of the men that have fallen under your command so you can properly honor their sacrifice. Aside from being reminded of their achievements and time with you, you’ll also get an unnecessarily colorful description of how they died in a column of its own.

Veteran Levels
Old dogs can in fact learn new tricks, as your men are now able to attain levels beyond the 11th character level. Any such level is considered a ‘veteran level’ and, for balance reasons, comes without a perk point and with limited attribute gain, but it does allow anyone living long enough to truly reach their potential, for you to continue to experience the leveling progression also in the very very late game.

Making Enemies
Another new feature is the ability to attack anyone on the worldmap, no matter your relations, when turning your friendly glove mouse cursor into a threatening sword cursor by holding the Ctrl key and left-clicking them. This only works when you’re striking out on your own and are not currently employed, but it does allow you to go the route of banditry and make lots of enemies if you truly want to, without having to first annoy your employers enough to finally declare you hostile. Although there won’t be any new gameplay aspects to support banditry for now, there’s a new deterrent coming: competing mercenary companies that can also get hired by your enemies to hunt you down.

New Contracts & Events
The coming update will add around a dozen new contracts to the game, and several dozen new events. We’re still busy writing more of them – more interaction with your mercenaries, new encounters as one of the late game crises ravage the land, and some hidden stuff to discover. We’re also creating new illustrations to go with these. Have a look!

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another new feature is the ability to attack anyone on the worldmap, no matter your relations, when turning your friendly glove mouse cursor into a threatening sword cursor by holding the Ctrl key and left-clicking them. This only works when you’re striking out on your own and are not currently employed, but it does allow you to go the route of banditry and make lots of enemies if you truly want to, without having to first annoy your employers enough to finally declare you hostile. Although there won’t be any new gameplay aspects to support banditry for now, there’s a new deterrent coming: competing mercenary companies that can also get hired by your enemies to hunt you down.

:shredder:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
That's a big feature. I thought they said they weren't going to implement it? Or am I mistaking it for another feature?

Either way, that's good news. Can't wait for the patch.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I hope the 'Veteran Levels' don't fuck up balance.

Are they unlimited? Will Brothers automatically gain the 'Old' trait?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has there been an rpgcodex preview?

If yes, can anyone link it?

If no, why not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom