Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Banner Saga 3 suddenly on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stoic Studio; The Banner Saga 3

With no prior buildup whatsoever, Stoic Studio have suddenly launched a Kickstarter campaign for The Banner Saga 3, the final chapter in their Norse-themed story-driven tactical RPG trilogy, which was originally Kickstarted way back in 2012. I guess their funding situation hasn't gotten any better since November. They're seeking $200,000 to fund the game's development. Here's the pitch video:

There's not really anything on the Kickstarter page that would be new to somebody who's played the previous two games. If Stoic are planning to make any significant changes to their formula, they're not revealing them yet. If you'd like to give them a hand, you can secure a copy of The Banner Saga 3 for $20, with alpha access available at $50. The game's release date is yet to be determined, but before December 2018.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Dear Lord. I hope they manage to stay afloat. Maybe put some weird text-adventure slum dank on tablets which earns them zillions so they can continue making the good stuff.

---

Arcane
Just
meh.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I liked the first game but this is too expensive. I haven't bought the second game yet and I would have gladly spent $20 or $25 in all for the second and third game. I'll probably buy the second game at a $10 sale or something and same with the third one (if it gets developped).

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Too expensive? $20 for the game? Frankly I think it's even a bit below the standard Kickstarter fare (I think I paid more for Numenera, Pillars etc)

pippin

Yeah, but this is effectively an episodic game. At least those others are a full package, so to speak.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yeah, but this is effectively an episodic game. At least those others are a full package, so to speak.
Yes, something like that, I don't want to mean their pricing is ridiculous (it's not) but I can't really pay $35 for 2 & 3.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Too expensive? $20 for the game? Frankly I think it's even a bit below the standard Kickstarter fare (I think I paid more for Numenera, Pillars etc)

Those games were longer than 15 hours, though.

And what are they asking the money for? "more animations, more cutscenes, more sound", well, how about more game? Story and atmosphere were excellent in the first one but it was just so fucking short. I would like to see this made but I am not sure thats worth the money.

200.000 and stretch goals coming soon, eh? After their lead said in interviews how much financial trouble they have, how do they think does that inspire any confidence that they can deliver before going down the drain?

Parabalus

Arcane
Hope they make it, liked the first two.

Kinda sad to see that there is no new art on the pitch, just from BS1 and BS2. Probably a telling sign of imminent doom.

ortucis

Prophet
So, the sales of the last two games didn't help. People who wanted more of that game, will fund this. Then they will still be going under after the game is released.

Either that or they don't want to put their own money at risk on a series people aren't buying and are going to let suckers pay for it in advance.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
They seem to be in dire financial trouble to have launched this without any buildup...

How can this be? Their BS have sold incredibly well for an indie. Anyone has better info on this?

They said recently that they fucked up with Banner Saga 2 by basically shutting down their community. The game sold poorly, but it actually helped to sell even more of Banner Saga 1. They hope that Banner Saga 3 will help to sell some Banner Saga 2 units as well. But which game will help to sell Banner Saga 3, you ask? Well, we don't know yet.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
$20 minimum, that's double the amount they asked for the first. It seems they unsurprisingly target the fans with this one, not newcomers. It's also a 42 days campaign - likely because of no build-up.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
They seem to be in dire financial trouble to have launched this without any buildup...

How can this be? Their BS have sold incredibly well for an indie.

Because they are arrogant, that is why. I bet they bought a yacht with the money from the first game. I think they need help from Marcus Lemonis from The Profit to get their shit together! LOL

Last edited:

aratuk

Cipher
Oy. Backed. But, oy.

While you're at it, Infinitron, you should probably also do a news post about Bischoff's new Kickstarter that went up today (even though it's not strictly an RPG).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The first Banner Saga was released on January, 2014. The sold more than 500k on the first game - steam spy says they have more than 700k owners. That’s a lot. Banner Saga 2 was released on April, 2016. That’s what, less than 2 years of development. The engine, the code, all the same. And they sold just 50k on the second game, but that is still some money. So the only explanation for money troubles is that they are giving themselves huge salaries.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom