Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

ortucis

Prophet
Bought it 2 days ago because of the discount (Digital Deluxe edition). Finished it in 39 hrs. Was going to ignore the moronic story, characters and the shit ending (equivalent of ending a game at Chapter-1), but then the game decided to piss me off even more with the unskippable 30+ minutes of credits.

Alt+Tabbed, wrote a negative steam review. Fuckers.

Also, ended the whole game with inventory filled with shitload of items. Used a silenced shotgun (to use EMP ammo against turrets), stun gun and tranquilizer rifle only. There was no challenge. Even at medium, first DeusEx was challenging.

Anyway, I need to squeeze more playtime out of this game to make my money worth. Will play the DLC and NewGame+ and see how it goes. Shit game.
You played for 39 hours in two days?
:abyssgazer:

Is that what I typed?

Unless you're implying that since I played it for 39 hrs, it must be good. Cause that would be fucking stupid.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So this was the game I played over the holidays and I do have to wonder why this is in GRPGD while Dishonored 2 is not. Both have exactly the same mechanics (leveling up your powers + exploring open-ended levels) - except Dishonored 2 does level design and pretty much everything significantly better. But generally, in terms of mechanics, I'm not sure if I'm missing something that makes HR or MD any different from D1 or D2. I guess this has to do with Deus Ex being an honorable RPG or something.

But, that aside (and I don't really care what an RPG is lol), this game was enjoyable enough. I liked Prague as a hub. I had an itch for more open-ended exploration after Dishonored 2, and MD did scratch that itch. A couple of side quests were good; the rest were unfortunately forgettable, or cut too short. Some of the levels were open enough - even if all of them felt extremely artificial (all those vents...), and there were no substantial consequences to how you approached things compared to Dishonored 2. There weren't enough (any??) opportunities for sequence breaking either. It also didn't have any cool innovative design like Dishonored 2 has, and it's basically Human Revolution with better graphics - and, imho, better hub and level design. But that's it.

All of HR's popamole features (takedowns, braindead AI, etc.) are still in. The game is also super easy; no idea what those micro-transactions are even for. I finished it with a whole lot of unused upgrade points. Most of the new powers felt unnecessary, except the remote hacking. That one was very useful, perhaps too much so.

Some of the dialogue is actually pretty good.

I didn't mind the ending - but the Picus news feed at the end failed to acknowledge me killing both Radich and Otar, which felt underwhelming. Did they really think no one would do that?

System Rift was worse than the main game, level design-wise, and completely redundant plot- or lore-wise, so don't bother with that.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying out New Game+ and wondering what the point of this game mode is when it apparently doesn't change anything aside from making you even more overpowered, and it turns out that the Social Enhancer is a must if you want to see dialogue battles. Huh. I ignored it completely on the first playthrough, but I guess that it's actually useful this time around. I still think persuasion would be more fun without it, though.

Most of the new powers felt unnecessary, except the remote hacking. That one was very useful, perhaps too much so.
Yeah, and they really weren't too creative here. There are, what, seven new augs? Three of those involve shooting stuff from your arm (how about having a gun implanted into your skull? that'd be cool), one is a shield (yawn), one is Bullet Time and one is Blink from Dishonored. It's pretty weak.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Sure. What I mean is that in Human Revolution the augmentation was largely optimal, as you could beat all the dialogue battles without it just fine. It also unlocked some additional dialogue options here and there, but it was pretty minor stuff. Using the aug was essentially easy mode, as instead of having to pay attention you could just see what the aug had to say about your "opponent" and win the argument easily. Now there are only two (?) battles in the entire game that you can even take part in without it, and everything else requires the enhancer.

ortucis

Prophet
I'm trying out New Game+ and wondering what the point of this game mode is when it apparently doesn't change anything aside from making you even more overpowered, and it turns out that the Social Enhancer is a must if you want to see dialogue battles. Huh. I ignored it completely on the first playthrough, but I guess that it's actually useful this time around. I still think persuasion would be more fun without it, though.

Tried to play New Game+ few days ago. It spawned me with me inventory filled with modded weapons and stacked items (esp. Multitool, which I never used, amazing). I was done with the shitty "stealth" in first playthrough so went around killing everything with my modded silenced shotgun and clearing every mission in few seconds since the AI in this game runs on a potato no matter which difficulty you pick (NG+ with "Give me DeusEx").

So NG+ does absolutely nothing to increase the challenge and only manages to show you the shit level of so called "AI" designed for retards who can't aim (console gamers) with M+K.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/337000/announcements/detail/641034377684596720

Now available for free: Desperate Measures mission, Covert Agent pack and more
6 JANUARY - POTICHA

We're making available for free to everyone the Desperate Measures extra in-game Mission, a compilation of skins for Adam's armor and trench coat, a re-skinned pistol and combat rifle, and various consumables.
This will be added to your library automatically upon updating the game (if you don't already own this content).

You can also download three digital books here[weblet.square-enix.com]. You'll find our novella Deus Ex: Hard Line, written by James Swallow, which stars Alex Vega. It also includes our mini comic The Dawning Darkness, as well as a mini artbook.

f365f1750b40f3263efc4bdab20c269dbeffb7a9.jpg

Enjoy!

Tyrion8338

Novice
I enjoyed this game alot, I`ve got descent rig with overlocked i5 and gf 1070 so game looked really good and ran descent enough but obviously it is badly optimized. The story wasnt great and characters mostly arent memorable but it`s still deus ex and this whole mankind divided thing is feelt in the air, you really can understand why normal people fear or despise augmented ones.... Great game overall, I`ve gone for a very long and thorught playthru so I clocked alot of hours but still it felt short and ending is really abroupt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not dead! http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-expansion-a-criminal-past-is-due-next-month

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's second expansion, A Criminal Past, is due next month
The prison flashback episode.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's second story DLC, A Criminal Past, is due 23rd February on all platforms, publisher Square Enix has announced.

jpg

Set prior to the events of Mankind Divided, A Criminal Past follows Jensen's first mission for TF29. The expansion transpires in an all-aug high-security prison, where ungrateful cyborg Adam Jensen has to pose as an inmate to track down an undercover agent.

A Criminal Past is included in Mankind Divided's Season Pass and will be the game's first add-on in five months since System Rift launched in September.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Set prior to the events of Mankind Divided - A Criminal Past follows Jensen's first mission for TF29 -The expansion transpires in an all-aug high-security prison, to track down an undercover agent.

Excellent. More deliberately removed content for us to pay for. And prequel content...for a series that's already a prequel...heh...

From the sounds of it, you're going to be forcibly "de-tuned", again, you'll skill yourself back up throughout. You'll get what you want from the agent, which will be some extremely vague dribble about Bob Page, then the agent will wind up dying somehow - seeing as there is nary a mention of them in the core game. At which point the prison completely turns on you, the original escape plan will crumble, and you'll have to get out another way. Jensen will barely escape with his life, damaged, having to build himself up again at the start of the campaign we were given.

Can't wait.

:deadtroll:

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And even more silly things:

Also Breach mode released as a free to play standalone:

Deus Ex: Breach is an innovative game mode that offers, for the very first time, an arcade approach on the gameplay of Deus Ex.
"pizza: the deadening" is an innovative food that offers, for the very first time, to give you aids every time you eat pizza.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Eurogamer heard Eidos Montreal will be working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game after the rumored Shadows of the Tomb Raider. It looks like there will be no more big Deus Ex game for a while: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Don't expect another big Deus Ex game anytime soon
Eidos Montreal busy with Tomb Raider, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy projects.

There won't be another big Deus Ex game in the foreseeable future.

Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus, Eurogamer understands.

This, despite Mankind Divided leaving the series with a number of hanging story threads. These plot points were intended to be resolved in a third game, which would also complete the trilogy of Deus Ex titles begun by predecessor Human Revolution.

Much of this remaining story was once intended for Mankind Divided, Eurogamer has heard, until the game grew too large in scope and had to be curtailed. (Even with this, Mankind Divided's development took five years). It's unclear if this untold story will now be left unresolved - or tied up in another medium, such as a graphic novel.

Mankind Divided's DLC, meanwhile, focuses on standalone stories. One final pack from the game's season pass - A Criminal Past - is set for launch on 23rd February and acts as a prequel to the main game.

All of this marks a dramatic climbdown from the much-trumpeted "Deus Ex Universe" project announced prior to Mankind Divided back in late 2013. "An ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games" was promised.

"It's a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis," Eidos Montreal boss David Anfossi said, "and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before."

But three years later, when Mankind Divided did finally arrive, it failed to spark the sales needed to grow the series into a mainstream franchise as Square Enix had previously hoped.

So, when could we now see another Deus Ex? All signs point to it being a long wait.

The bulk of Deux Ex studio Eidos Montreal is currently at work on the next Tomb Raider, the existence of which leaked online last November when someone left a "Shadows of the Tomb Raider" PowerPoint presentation open on the Montreal subway. There's no word yet on when this might launch.

This is while the Tomb Raider team over at Crystal Dynamics works on the first game in Square Enix's Marvel deal, which is based around the Avengers. Square Enix has already said it will not reveal anything more of the project until 2018. Could it also see release in 2018? It seems unlikely, considering how fresh the ink is on Marvel's deal.

Back at Eidos Montreal, a small team is currently aiding Crystal Dynamics' Avengers project and, Eurogamer has heard, in the early stages of production on the second Marvel game based around Guardians of the Galaxy. This project will be lead by Eidos Montreal.

With its collaboration on Avengers, the full production of Guardians of the Galaxy and a big new Tomb Raider game to finish first, it sounds like the studio will be kept busy - and away from Deus Ex - for quite a while.

Eurogamer requested comment from Square Enix for this article, and received the following response from Eidos Montreal:

"While we are still working on expanding the Deus Ex Universe, along with creating new content and updates for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, we're also devoting our talents towards working with Crystal Dynamics and Marvel on The Avengers project."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom