Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How do I play Morrowind?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Cast Calm Humanoid/Creature on Sixth House enemies, it's interesting to talk to them.

YBiNjwM.jpg

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Morrowind's main story is awesomely written. You never know who's bullshitting who.

But most people suspect this was all Azura's plot to get rid of the fake gods and you're not really Nerevarine. Like, at all.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Morrowind's main story is awesomely written. You never know who's bullshitting who.
Yeah, modern games accustomed me to believe every word, never doubt anything. Yet, there's always that possibility that there isn't any deepness, you only think there is. I think stories in games should show two or three times that someone lied to us/betrayed, so game lets us know we can be suspicious.

Monastery of dissident priests as far as I understand belongs to Azura... So little changies to old prophecies wouldn't be hard for her. She had thousands of years for preparations after all. Actually, I don't remember if they gave us copies of prophecies or old papers. Maybe they didn't have any prophecies in the first place?

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
For all we know Azura could've even created the Elder Scroll that mentions Nerevarine.

Kind of similar to Bene Gesserit and Missionaria Protectiva in Dune with Muad'Dib prophecy.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
For all we know Azura could've even created the Elder Scroll that mentions Nerevarine.

Kind of similar to Bene Gesserit and Missionaria Protectiva in Dune with Muad'Dib prophecy.
Could you remind me? I don't remember that part of the book.

Nael

Arcane
I never got past Caius Cosades. Spent half a life time looking for him and when I found him we just smoked skooma together and tweeked out the rest of our days together.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Askhan did it again. In our previous meeting he said he trusts me. Now he says I must pass "Warrior's" test. Before he'll tell me about third trial I must first bring him 3 tokens from old Sixth house stronghold he saw when he was there (with other warriors of course). Of course there is no better way of testing me than sending me to the nest of enemy. To fight with all of them alone. This guy really wants me dead. So I went there. First investigated little buildings before entrance. Ascended sleepers, they are really tough. In one of buildings I found first token, part of mutated(?) flesh. Then I explored stronghold. Place is huge, maybe 4 levels. During exploring I saw some dead heroes, mostly they had artifacts or precious armors.

poOC2y5.jpg

On the lowest level I found second token, Shield of Shadows. Deadric gauntlets nearby were pretty nice too, maybe I'll collect entire set. By accident I found second exit. Where did it take me? Inside Ghostfence. Doors were guarded by one of Ash Vampires. It's pretty serious, ghostgate and ghostfence exist for a reason. Sixth House Ltd. had thousand years to digg under the fence, why Tribunal didn't think about it? They can't be that stupid, they must have realized someone can ignore ground level, ghostfence works only AROUND Red Mountain, not underground. That's plothole, but maybe they will explain it later or report it. I had to find third, house dagoth cup. I explord entire stronghold yet didn't find it. They had only one cup in entire stronghold? Evetually I gave up and checked it on internet. Turned out cup was in the same little building I found mutaded flesh. After I found that flesh I'd never think there may be second token in the same place. Well, that was little stupid., me and game both. In one of rooms I found house dagoth's symbol made from coins. Someone had too much time and got bored. I didn't leave single coin for them.

jj2BrcF.jpg

Went back to Ashkhan. At last he understood I am Nerevarine and gave me some magic belt as a gift. Maybe he simply gave up with trying to kill me. Now it's time for test of wisdom. He gave me a riddle which will help me finding Cavern of Incarnate. Asked people around for informations, they told where should I look for cavern. It was that moment when I thought in-game map may be actaully helpful. Saw long canyon alongside Red Mountain so I thought that's the place. Too bad I spent 30 minutes before I went back to the beginning and found cave by accident. That was annoying, the place didn't even look as from the riddle for me. Like, you wouldn't expect build road straight to the cavern, it was supposed to be hidden.

dUWD86I.jpg

Anyway, inside cavern was Azura's statue wih Moon-and-Star ring in her hands. After taking it Azura blessed me with a vision. In vision she called me Nerevarine, incarnate. She said I have to go to four askhans so they may call me their Nerevarine, and to three Great houses so they can call me their Hortator. Interesting, she mentioned Nebani Mesa, Wise woman who was helping me all the time, as her servant. Considering her interpretation that I MAY become Nerevarine and she's being directed by Azura, it means being Nerevarine is just a job with right requirements. Ring she gave me is supposed to kill anyone who uses except Nerevarine. That's pretty convenient, it's her artifact so she probably can just kill any wielder she wants. After vision, ghosts of "previous Nerevarines" show up. You can talk with them and they give you artifacts they were using. They say each of them was "not the one". At this point it's pretty clear, that there is not real Nerevarine nor Incarnate, only chosen of the Azura.

Now I am going back to Urshilaku camp.

Sorry for not posting for so long time. Tomorrow I am going to end Hortator and Nerevarine part

Miner Arobar

Educated
Thanks for the update. I was wondering about the underground passage from Red Mountain through Kogoruhn as well in my current playthrough. I don't think it's a plothole - I think it rather explains how Dagoth's minions end up in caves on the whole of Vvardenfell spreading the Blight (note that it's worst precisely to the north and northwest of Red Mountain - Sheogorath islands, the north of the West Gash, etc.).

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Thanks for the update. I was wondering about the underground passage from Red Mountain through Kogoruhn as well in my current playthrough. I don't think it's a plothole - I think it rather explains how Dagoth's minions end up in caves on the whole of Vvardenfell spreading the Blight (note that it's worst precisely to the north and northwest of Red Mountain - Sheogorath islands, the north of the West Gash, etc.).
Yes, it explains how they got out, but why Tribunal didn't predict it? And why couldn't I tell anyone about it?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Sorry for not posting, but wanted to try Fallout for the first time and simply couldn't stop playing. I'll post again as soon as my mental health will let me.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Sorry for not posting, but wanted to try Fallout for the first time and simply couldn't stop playing. I'll post again as soon as my mental health will let me.
Make a thread. I wonder what's your take on the rat diplomacy and shooting for the eyes.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Make a thread. I wonder what's your take on the rat diplomacy and shooting for the eyes.
I meant I just finished the game. Started saturnday evening and finished today around 12:00~
And I really want to start Fallout 2 already.

Deleted Member 16721

To play Morrowind I suggest the following:

1. Don't read anything about the game beforehand, this includes character creation guides, tips, secrets, cheats or anything that will have you thinking too much about playing a certain way and not just exploring and discovering on your own.
2. Don't worry about making a "perfect" character. The game is not that hard on default difficulty after about level 15 or so. The start can be challenging, but as long as you just explore and don't try to go to tougher areas than you should be in you'll be fine.
3. Be creative with how you play. Make a character you find interesting, chat with the NPCs, ask someone about a local rumor, ask a Scout about a particular region in the world, ask a Barbarian about their lifestyle, etc. There isn't a ton of unique dialogue for every NPC in the game, but if you are just starting out for the first time there will be enough to keep you busy for a long time and then some.
4. Okay, one tip for newbies that might save you a bit of frustration. When you create your character, make sure you at least have some sort of offensive attack potential to start the game with. We've all heard about Morrowind's combat, but if you give yourself a decent starting skill that can inflict damage on an enemy, you will be alright. To do this effectively yet not overthinking it, I suggest this:
a) If you select a magic-inclined race, make sure the class you choose has at least one magic school, if not more, that will actively cause damage to enemies in combat. The main damage-dealing schools of magic are Destruction (direct) and Conjuration (some direct but mostly indirect). The other magic schools are great but you will need to explore them throughout the game, and you will still want a damage-dealing school to start with.
b) If you select a melee-inclined race, make sure the class you choose has at least one weapon skill, if not two.
c) To put this simply, the ideal situation is that you will pay attention to the race you have chosen and build a character based on their inherent race bonuses. I.e. a Nord gets the following weapon skill bonuses:
Axe +10, Blunt Weapon +10, Long Blade+5, Spear +5
^ So, choose a weapon skill that you get a bonus to and you'll be in much better shape to start the game. Same applies for the magic schools and race bonuses as well.
d) I also suggest sticking to the main classes, as they are fun to play the game with. Custom classes can be great, too, and very effective once you are more comfortable with the game and you know ahead of time what type of character you want to play, but they are for more advanced players.

That's about it. Explore, talk to people, peek in a dungeon or two, pick some mushrooms and herbs and have fun. Just stay away from those weird, dark-looking ruins with strange markings on them until you're a pretty competent adventurer. :D

DraQ

Arcane
How do I enjoy Morrowind if i don't enjoy slow walking ?

Drugs.

Brew energy drinks out of moon sugar and kagouti hide/shalk resin. If you mix in any two nutritious ingredients, they will also restore fatigue.

Other than that try to limit encumbrance. If not playing a caster, pick Steed as your sign for early speed bonus.
Finally, make a Daedalian Flight amulet (1s levitate, 2s maxed out jump + 2s whatever helper effects you can think of - feather, fortify speed, etc.) for nearly instant travel. You can skip levitation if you enchant a pauldron (they are useless for most enchants) with 1pt CE slowfall.

I could mention BoBS, of course, but but they are boring, racist and every pleb uses them. :obviously:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Askhan officially called me his Nerevarine, first step has been made. He sent me to Wise Woman, she told me about other tribes and great houses. First, I am going to Ald'ruhn. Now I want to say that it may be a bit chaotic, as amount of walking/flying/swimming was very confusing. So, Ald'ruhn and House Redoran.In their main place I found Red book with all councilors I had to convince. Went to them and talked with them. That was actually pretty stupid, everything I had to do was bribing them until they liked me. Almost every councelor. Well, except two. One didn't agree until I brought him his kidnapped son, who was imprisoned in house Redoran Archmaster's manor... (you feel thei irony? Redoran ought to be most honorable house, yet its archmaster kidnaps one of his councilors son just to make sure his loyal) He wasn't hidden too good, long corridor with tapestry at the end? No way anyone will discover it. I just took him and ran to the exit, despite guardians who tried to kill me. After helping him, councilor was all happy and convinced other councilors to vote for me. But to be Hortator all must agree. Archmaster would never do it, so I had to fight him at Vivec Arena.

zIqTrai.jpg

He wasn't hard enemy. At this point almost no one is. Went back back to councilor and became Redoran Hortator. Next step? House Hlallu in Vivec. Went to Hlallu Plaza and got yellow book. First, I visited crassius, some weird guy who wanted me to kiss him in exchange for vote. Ok, kiss is cheap. Now I go to Yngling half-troll (amusing name). Before I entered his manor, saw Haunted manor. There I found hlallu missing councelor. Absolutely random. He gave me vote just beceause I found him. Yngling was greedy, wanted 2k gold. Well, I am pretty rich at this moment so whatever. Missing councelor mentioned that 2 other councilors are loyal to third, Orvas Dren.
He had big plantation near Pelagiad. I talked to him, turned out he is with 6th House. After saying that he attacked me. He actually was a hard enemy. By the way, he was leader of Commona Tong. He, probably most important person in house Hlallu, pro-imperial house, was leader of most xenophopic and traditional guild on Vvanderfell. How? Anyway, 2 other councilors were literally shitting their pants when they saw me and gave their votes instantly. Went back Crassius and became Hlallu Hortator. Now it's time for Telvani.

7AZydIU.jpg

Started in Sadrith Mora. Found Brown book, flought to top of the tower where I met first Master. He was shouting at me until I bribed him some money. Then he gave his vote. Other towers were far away, but at least I traveled in more green area. After north vulcanic biom it was real diffrence. Half way I hit on one of Ashlanders camps. Ashkhan was one of most annoying persons I've seen in this game. He wanted me to kill vampire in nearby tomb. My sense of direction struck again, travel to tomb was really easy but tok me some time. Vampire was easy. When I back he said this isn't all he wants. At that moment I really wanted to kill him, unfortunatelly I didn't know if killing him will break main quest, so I had to go with his task. He wanted wife. Not typicall wife, a daughter of Telvani Master. At least Wise Woman realized this is madness and came up with idea of making trained slave his wife.

To be continued...
Sorry for not posting, again.

Old One

Arcane
Playing Fallout 1 is an acceptable excuse for taking a break from Morrowind.

Just out of curiosity, jarmaro, have you ever played Gothic?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom