Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How many RPGs do you play at once?

How many RPGs do you play at once?

• I focus on one, play it until I'm done with it.

Votes: 51 62.2%
  • I play around 1 to 5 RPGs at a time, from the same subgenre.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I play around 1 to 10 RPGs at a time, from the same subgenre.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I play countless RPGs at a time, from the same subgenre.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I play around 1 to 5 RPGs at a time, from different genres.

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • I play around 1 to 10 RPGs at a time, from different genres.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I play countless RPGs at a time, from different genres.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I really bother finishing the games I play.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I don't really bother finishing the games I play.

Votes: 10 12.2%

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I started wondering this after a while. How many games do you play at once? I for one tend to focus on one game at a time, regardless of how many I have installed at any given time. Right now I have Fallout installed. I will finish Fallout before I move on to another game. A lot of people play many games at a time, which is fine, but I notice they never really bother playing their games until the end, even if they really like them, which seems weird to be, but whatever.

What do you do, Codex, and why?

NOTICE: There are a maximum of two choices. First vote how many games you play, and then vote if you bother finishing them or not.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I generally 'feel it' with 1 game until I'm done with it (or sufficiently finished with whatever I wanted to complete). But sometimes when I'm not 'feeling it', I'll play between 1-5 different rpgs (or other games, even) at a time and I may or may not complete those.

I try to finish the games that I play, I've been getting better at it. But some games just take a shit long time, are frustrating as hell, or something else happens and I don't end up finishing it.

I think I've done a pretty good job last year finishing up some games that I've played.

Epsilon

Cipher
Generally I just get really interested in a game and then complete it, but if it happens that the interest vanes I just drop it and start something else.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I play a lot of RPG games.

Do YOU play a lot of RPG games?
Then you might have a bright future in the world of internet poker as well. Learn poker rules and use your ability of getting into character when you bluff your opponents!

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I generally play between 1-4 RPGs at a time. But, while I've not been good about finishing games, I've been trying in he past month or so to actually finish the games I play. First to fall was Baldur's Gate, next in line is Might and Magic Secrets of the Inner Sanctum.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Frankly, if you're not playing two RPGs simultaneously, you're wasting time. You've got two hands and unless you're playing some sickening "modern" ""rpg"" then you should be able to effortlessly run both side by side.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Just one usually I like to be totally absorbed in the lore and the story and I don't want to confuse things with another rpg. I will play insurgency on the side though.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Frankly, if you're not playing two RPGs simultaneously, you're wasting time. You've got two hands and unless you're playing some sickening "modern" ""rpg"" then you should be able to effortlessly run both side by side.
I only have one free hand though.

Alice-In-Wonderland-I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg

Keye_

Educated
I have 20-25 games installed right now, but I always stick to one until it is finished. For me, it's like reading a book, if you switch between two books the stories might get confused and you will be less invested. I stick to one game and (if it's good) I play it till the end.
Another thing I prefer to do is play series all in a row. For example: When I first played Baldur's Gate, I played the whole trilogy (in bg2 engine) to the end, without playing any other games. This helps me get invested in the setting and the characters. I did the same with Gothic and Shadowrun. Only series I didn't do this with was Geneforge, because I got burned out at the end of the first one.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Just one usually I like to be totally absorbed in the lore and the story and I don't want to confuse things with another rpg. I will play insurgency on the side though.

I have 20-25 games installed right now, but I always stick to one until it is finished. For me, it's like reading a book, if you switch between two books the stories might get confused and you will be less invested. I stick to one game and (if it's good) I play it till the end.
Another thing I prefer to do is play series all in a row. For example: When I first played Baldur's Gate, I played the whole trilogy (in bg2 engine) to the end, without playing any other games. This helps me get invested in the setting and the characters. I did the same with Gothic and Shadowrun. Only series I didn't do this with was Geneforge, because I got burned out at the end of the first one.

Same thing happens to me. On playing multiple games in a series, that only happens to me if the games are directly related, for example, Baldur's Gate - Baldur's Gate II. Things like Deus Ex and H:R I will play months apart, for instance.

One time I had around six games installed: Morrowind (my backup game which I could jump to no problem), Deus Ex, Fallout, The Witcher, Gothic II, and Wasteland 2. Eventually I said "fuck it" and uninstalled everything but Morrowind and Wasteland 2, as it was becoming obvious I was having more and more trouble remembering what the hell was I supposed to be doing (particularly in The Witcher and Gothic II). Ended up finishing Wasteland 2 after a week or so.

Mustawd

I generally have one game I play with some filler games to kill time if I have 5-15 mins.

Right now I'm playing S&S: Underworld, and kill time with some roguelikes like FTL or Shattered Planet.

Especially with rpgs, I just find it hard to remember wtf is going on and what I'm supposed to be doing if I spend too much time away from it. It doesn't help that I can go a few days or a week without touching a game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you made that thread month ago I would say "1 max", but now there is opposite. That's because I have fun with playing games but only v.few of them had satisfying finale, so why cleaning backlog when it have RPGs in it? This can feel like second job.

Sometimes one title hook me up hard to make large chunk, then play something else. If you don't do that because "you're affraid to forget" then I have a bad news about your incoming elder life...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I have to be honest, the poll's results so far have surprised me. I thought the Codex was less focused on a particular game and more on "play everything".

Sadly I forgot to tick the option to make voters visible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom