Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 7

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
You can clearly tell it was heavily VR oriented too from the 'gameplay', mate convinced me to try it because it had 'puzzles', fuckin joke. Will wait to see user reviews though of the final product.

Yes, and then Nintendo turned it into a Mario game.
Then grand dad 7 isn't a nes flintstones game with mario's head on fred flintstone's body. It's a original game for the tendy.
Why stupid? I'm just pointing the fact that a Mario game is a Mario game, despite being different from the others. Being different, being good/bad, or not fitting in your subjective opinion of how a Mario game should be is irrelevant.
It's like calling milk beer because it's in a fucking beer can, I know it's different, you know it's different from beer, but yet you insist it's beer because of it's packaging and the manufacture said its beer. It's retarded to double down to call milk beer.
"Muh love" isn't an argument and nothing you said changes the fact Fallout 3 is the third main game in the series, ie: a Fallout game.
Because it wasn't an argument why fallout 3 is not fallout, it was about why the logic behind this:
Yes, it's a Fallout game, if it wasn't then codexers would have ignored its existence.
was bullshit. Which doesn't even say why fallout 3 is fallout except for their reaction to it. For fuck sakes, by that logic if you can live with being mugged then the mugging didn't happen. The logic is flawed.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
resident-evil-7-trailer-highlights-new-combat-gameplay.jpg.optimal.jpg

Jack Baker is a real Codexian. He should come and join us.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
First reviews:
I had hoped to enjoy Resident Evil 7 for what it appeared to be: a strange, Western approach to the series. I didn't expect it to hark so close to the series' roots while managing to still bring some action and more intuitive controls.
Reinventing older game series’ to fit ever expanding technological boundaries while maintaining their quiddity is one of the great challenges in game design. Indeed, it’s one that Resident Evil’s creators have failed to meet on numerous occasions. Resident Evil 7, by contrast, is a masterclass: breezily new, yet quintessentially in character with its illustrious forbearers.
Resident Evil 7's changes — especially the shift to first-person — may be off-putting to some. But it's an evolution that fits perfectly into the world and source material Capcom has created. It's hard to know if Resident Evil 7 will stand the test of time as much as classics like the original, or RE4. Taken on its own, however, it's an excellent game that pushes the series in worthy new directions.
However you play it, Resident Evil’s back. Completely different and yet instantly familiar. Compared to the bloated action of the last few installments this is literally a Resi revelation, executing modern horror ideas, interesting characters, locations, and a fantastic atmosphere to create something that can stand proudly among its sources. It’s about as an essential a horror experience as you can get.
Folks, Resident Evil 7 is a Resident Evil game. Hell, it's doesn't even reboot the story. RE7 is a game that tries to recreate the feeling of the original game using modern tech and design. And for the most part, it works. Is it the best Resident Evil ever? No. Resident Evil 4 was lightning in a bottle and matching up to that is a tall order; Resident Evil 7 just seeks to establish a new foundation. A new take on an old take of survival horror. I'd call the result a success. Welcome to the family, Resident Evil 7.
RE7 ends just as it starts to outstay its welcome, and after the fact, I felt like I'd survived a truly harrowing journey. The boss fights may be slightly inconsistent and certain sections might drag after a while, but RE7 is still a remarkable success. It has a clear vision and executes it with impressive patience and precision. By returning to horror, Resident Evil has once again become something special.
Resident Evil 7 grounds itself in elements that made the original great while still indulging in a risky new shift in style that both helps and hurts the beloved formula in equal measure. But it’s also the closest a numbered sequel has come to recapturing Resident Evil’s slow, but thrilling and atmospheric adventure game roots in a while — a welcome return that I truly hope to see more of in the future.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looks good, I will probably get this. But where is my Resident Evil 2 remake coming at? Weren't they making that?

Resident Evil 7 grounds itself in elements that made the original great while still indulging in a risky new shift in style that both helps and hurts the beloved formula in equal measure. But it’s also the closest a numbered sequel has come to recapturing Resident Evil’s slow, but thrilling and atmospheric adventure game roots in a while — a welcome return that I truly hope to see more of in the future.
Holy shit, that reflects my opinion on RE7 to a T after being spoiled the shit out of it. How did IGN nail it of all places?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Holy shit, that reflects my opinion on RE7 to a T after being spoiled the shit out of it. How did IGN nail it of all places?
Well, I know nothing about Resident Evil series or RE 7, but this sentence sounds so typical I'd able to come up with it myself.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
RE5 aka Ben Garrison Simultor 2009 is not very well liked by the fans since it's about 0% horror but the mercenaries mode is really fun in couch co-op. Blasting them niggas in the face with a shotgun is a...

blast :dance:

Ash

Arcane
Let me guess:

Non-existent soundtrack: sharp notes here and there with accompanying jump scares. Oh-so-realistic barely noticeable ambient music from time to time. None of that ultra-headfuck emotional rollercoaster stuff from the likes of Resident Evil 1, System Shock 2 or Silent Hill.

Shit modern gameplay: checkpoints every two seconds, lenient resource management, brainless puzzles, and the presence of plenty walking-sim like "serene" or polar "spooky" moments. Level design heavily based in realism to the point of utter tedium. quick time event-exclusive boss fights.

2deep4u/ultra awesome cinematic modern story: intricately mo-capped yet poorly written characters, awesum scripted player animations used heavily as a storytelling device, gravel-voiced main character giving a forced performance.
Give me classic resident evil cheese instead any day.

Now onto the reviews and we'll see if the cynicism is accurate.

Edit: So, read one review, skimmed a couple others. Seems I was wrong about everything if they are to be trusted. It feels good to be wrong. Except the soundtrack. Goddamn it modern industry. I can't think of one modern AAA game with a great soundtrack. Fitting, yes. Great, and plays a heavy role in the storytelling, atmosphere and events? No.

Edit 2: Skimmed through the speedrun to get a general idea. No soundtrack whatsoever it seems :decline:
Do modern dipshit developers not understand that good soundtracks can actually increase immersion, not detract from it ffs...lol imagine Silent Hill opening alleyway scene without that music, just the occasional monster groan. Wouldn't pull you in nearly half as much.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Ash tries too hard, go and finish patching GMDX

sheep.png

You're trying too hard, sheepling. I'm just bashing modern design conventions, something I enjoy doing.
I'm sorry you happen to like those conventions as evidenced by your affection for braindead garbage such as Gears of War, GTAV and Halo, just try not to be too butthurt.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Reading comprehension, kid. I was speculatively bashing based on design conventions and modern developer's tendency to decline. I wasn't bashing RE7 itself, technically speaking. Then I checked out the reviews and was glad to see the cynicism and speculation was (perhaps) just that.
I will probably own the game shortly after release. May try the demo beforehand, but ranting was more appealing at the time.

In the time you've been nagging me about senseless shit you could have been playing games that are actually good and raising your standards, shocking as the suggestion may be.

Fuck off back to your modern gamer tard forums: IGN, Neogaf, r/gaming, wherever the hell you came from.

TehDagah said:
RE7 will likely suck because it prioritizes atmosphere/engagement/immershun, with the mechanics existing to serve the ludonarrative faggotry. Even the director of the game said RE7 is about "feeling engaged within the game's world, not gameplay" or some similar bullshit.

Well, RE never had the most compelling gameplay, but that's not the point. It was good enough and the focus was probably a 50/50 split on gameplay/immersion. I wouldn't put it past the new game of having diverged from that standard but reviews and such tell of classic RE elements like the magic box and silly puzzles scattered about the place, which you'd expect a typical neo-realism retard to do away with, so all may not be lost.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
Do modern dipshit developers not understand that good soundtracks can actually increase immersion, not detract from it ffs...lol imagine Silent Hill opening alleyway scene without that music, just the occasional monster groan. Wouldn't pull you in nearly half as much.

Yeah, nothing helps my immursion more than a magical fairy playing a musical score in my ears.

Call of Duty has the most immersion in-fact, with orchestra blaring at full volume and no music slider to turn it down so you can hear the dialogues they paid some overhyped actor a million dollars to record.

sullynathan

Arcane
In the time you've been nagging me about senseless shit you could have been playing games that are actually good and raising your standards, shocking as the suggestion may be.
Don't worry, I'm playing bloodborne

Fuck off back to your modern gamer tard forums: IGN, Neogaf, r/gaming, wherever the hell you came from.
:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom