Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just got my First Physical Pen and Paper Rulebook

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
So my grandmother got me a $60 Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas, and I looked at their gaming section and found the 3.5e and Pathfinder sets. I picked up Pathfinder and am gonna start a campaign with a couple of my friends tomorrow, if all goes according to plan. Took a quick scan read over the rules throughout the day today to get a good enough handle on the system to make it run smoothly for them, and I gotta say that I liked what I saw. Also took a good look at the bestiary. Liked what I saw there, no complaints.

Wayward Son

Lame game but good 4 u
Meh. Only thing I have really disliked about it was the unified XP table, but that's easily fixed by placing certain classes in certain XP speed brackets, pretty much the way any DnD edition does.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lame game but good 4 u
Meh. Only thing I have really disliked about it was the unified XP table, but that's easily fixed by placing certain classes in certain XP speed brackets, pretty much the way any DnD edition does.

That's a good way to screw up balance tho. Then again the game is quite unbalanced anyway so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kris

Arcane
So my grandmother got me a $60 Barnes and Noble gift card for Christmas, and I looked at their gaming section and found the 3.5e and Pathfinder sets. I picked up Pathfinder and am gonna start a campaign with a couple of my friends tomorrow, if all goes according to plan. Took a quick scan read over the rules throughout the day today to get a good enough handle on the system to make it run smoothly for them, and I gotta say that I liked what I saw. Also took a good look at the bestiary. Liked what I saw there, no complaints.

Son. You are no longer wayward.

It started in a similar way for me with some Christmas money and MERP. Fast forward a couple of decades and... just get yourself a sturdy bookcase.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

kris

Arcane
It started in a similar way for me with some Christmas money and MERP. Fast forward a couple of decades and... just get yourself a sturdy bookcase.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

I got MERP for christmas. (if I remember correctly, it was 25+ years ago)

Wayward Son

Mustawd
460d4cbfb87236589e83c09ddba312af.jpg

Left to right:
Drizzt Book I
Drizzt Book II
Pathfinder Bestiary
Pathfinder Core

ERYFKRAD We tend to get through battles faster in the PbP though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mustawd

Man I love the concept of ebooks and what not, but there's just something about having physical copies that makes you cream your panties. That's awesome man.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wayward Son, tell us how you felt when you were in line at the store to buy those. Did you try and sort of hide them in your arms while all the other people were lined up behind you?

Wayward Son

Pathfinder? I am disappoint.
It was either that or 3.5, I wouldn't have even been able to find 1e,2e, or S&W, trust me, I checked.
You try to raise 'em right on D100 gaming systems and this is how they repay you?!
Enjoy! Don't let the munchkins grind you down.
They didn't have any of those either. I also specifically looked for those.
Wayward Son, tell us how you felt when you were in line at the store to buy those. Did you try and sort of hide them in your arms while all the other people were lined up behind you?
No, I held them like I'd hold anything else, and now I carry them (though usually in my bag) in school.

nikolokolus

Arcane
It was either that or 3.5, I wouldn't have even been able to find 1e,2e, or S&W, trust me, I checked.
You try to raise 'em right on D100 gaming systems and this is how they repay you?!
It's all good, I'm just kidding you. Systems are only about 10-20% of the fun in my opinion. Making good, game-able material and making sure all of the participants are on the same page (more or less) is what makes or breaks games. 3.5/PF isn't my cup o' tea, but you can certainly run a good game with it and there's a mountain of supporting material for it.

Check out these freebies: http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/3311/Raging-Swan-Press?test_epoch=0&page=1&sort=3a
(The Lonely Coast is a decent setting to build off of and most of Raging Swan's stuff is good).
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_2110_44235_0_0&test_epoch=0&page=1&sort=3a
And if that's not enough, search through that heap. FWIW, you can enter $0 for the 'pay-what-you-want' titles and get them for free.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

It's all good, I'm just kidding you. Systems are only about 10-20% of the fun in my opinion. Making good, game-able material and making sure all of the participants are on the same page (more or less) is what makes or breaks games. 3.5/PF isn't my cup o' tea, but you can certainly run a good game with it and there's a mountain of supporting material for it.

Check out these freebies: http://www.rpgnow.com/browse/pub/3311/Raging-Swan-Press?test_epoch=0&page=1&sort=3a
(The Lonely Coast is a decent setting to build off of and most of Raging Swan's stuff is good).
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_2110_44235_0_0&test_epoch=0&page=1&sort=3a
And if that's not enough, search through that heap. FWIW, you can enter $0 for the 'pay-what-you-want' titles and get them for free.
Thanks, that will be really useful, since I'm going to be DMing for the most part. And the legitimate way to get free material is great!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom