Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I hope they port the Crossbell games first. TOCS is easy to get a hold in the west with the English translation (you just need a PS3), but you can't get Crossbell in English at all, surely they should get priority (especially as they are happy with the sales they are getting from TITS on Steam).
Hopefully my(our?) purchase of Tits 3rd on Steam when it comes out contributes to the release of the Crossbell games.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Here's an english translation of that story, and it has an extra screenshot showing Alisa.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12...ced-ps4-exclusive-first-screenshots-released/

Today Nihon Falcom announced that The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki III) will be released in Japan in the fall of 2017. On top of that, it will be the first game of the series to be PS4 exclusive.

The announcement promises the introductions of many new elements never seen in the series, while preserving its tradition as a turn-based JRPG, rich in tactical depth and story. It will also bring improved graphics and controls.

Below you can read a brief hing on the story, but if you haven’t played Trails of Cold Steel and Trails of Cold Steel II, it could be consider a spoiler, so you might want to just skip to the gallery.

The game will be a sequel of the first two games, and will be set in the year 1206. After the end of the civil war, the Erebonian Empire has welcomed the beginning of a new era, and a new story of young heroes will start, focusing on the protagonist of the first two games Rean Schwarzer, who is now known as a hero in the country, nicknamed the “Grey Knight”

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel was first released on September 26th, 2013 in Japan, for PS3 and PS Vita, but western fans had to wait until the end of 2015 for an English version, courtesy of Xseed Games. The second game of the series was released on September 25th, 2014 for the same platforms, and was recently release in North America on September 6th, and in Europe on November 11th.

Hopefully the third game won’t take as long to launch in the west, but to be fair Trails games tend to have extremely beefy scripts, so localization is bound to take a while, expecially when done by smaller publishers with limited resources.

The first batch of screenshots, a piece of artwork featuring Rean, and the new Japanese logo were also released, and you can check them out below. Now, if you don’t mind, I have some champagne to uncork. Today looks like a promising day.

Will be a looong time till we get the game in the west anyway but i assume they will probably port the first 2 games as well and do pc ports for the west (or outsource them like tokyo xanadu and the other games)
porting from ps4 is pretty easy anyway.
Would double dip on CS1 and 2 for PC. Seeing Instructor Sara in 1080p would be worth it.

Deleted member 7219

Here's an english translation of that story, and it has an extra screenshot showing Alisa.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12...ced-ps4-exclusive-first-screenshots-released/

Today Nihon Falcom announced that The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Eiyuu Densetsu: Sen no Kiseki III) will be released in Japan in the fall of 2017. On top of that, it will be the first game of the series to be PS4 exclusive.

The announcement promises the introductions of many new elements never seen in the series, while preserving its tradition as a turn-based JRPG, rich in tactical depth and story. It will also bring improved graphics and controls.

Below you can read a brief hing on the story, but if you haven’t played Trails of Cold Steel and Trails of Cold Steel II, it could be consider a spoiler, so you might want to just skip to the gallery.

The game will be a sequel of the first two games, and will be set in the year 1206. After the end of the civil war, the Erebonian Empire has welcomed the beginning of a new era, and a new story of young heroes will start, focusing on the protagonist of the first two games Rean Schwarzer, who is now known as a hero in the country, nicknamed the “Grey Knight”

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel was first released on September 26th, 2013 in Japan, for PS3 and PS Vita, but western fans had to wait until the end of 2015 for an English version, courtesy of Xseed Games. The second game of the series was released on September 25th, 2014 for the same platforms, and was recently release in North America on September 6th, and in Europe on November 11th.

Hopefully the third game won’t take as long to launch in the west, but to be fair Trails games tend to have extremely beefy scripts, so localization is bound to take a while, expecially when done by smaller publishers with limited resources.

The first batch of screenshots, a piece of artwork featuring Rean, and the new Japanese logo were also released, and you can check them out below. Now, if you don’t mind, I have some champagne to uncork. Today looks like a promising day.

Will be a looong time till we get the game in the west anyway but i assume they will probably port the first 2 games as well and do pc ports for the west (or outsource them like tokyo xanadu and the other games)
porting from ps4 is pretty easy anyway.
Would double dip on CS1 and 2 for PC. Seeing Instructor Sara in 1080p would be worth it.

Absolutely agree. Playing Cold Steel on my 42" TV in 720P is really painful. The way the textures are rendered is pretty nasty - and there's lots of aliasing. PC would sort those out easily.

I'm not a fan of the lighting in CS1 either (although it seems to be improved in CS2), it is the only time I've actually wanted to use a mod like SweetFX to change the lighting from the default.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Saw this posted somewhere.

C0_Gt_Cmp_Us_AINBIG.jpg

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
More info from an interview with Falcom's president, where among other things, he says we'll have companions from Tits/Sky.

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-set-year-half-trails-cold-steel-ii

Where does the story of Trails of Cold Steel III start from?

“It starts a year and a half after the end of Trails of Cold Steel II. The members of Class VII, including the protagonist Rean, have graduated from the military academy and are each walking their own path. While the situation where Rean is being used by Osborne in Trails of Cold Steel II continues, he takes a new step at the beginning of Trails of Cold Steel III.

“This time, we’ll depict the western side of the empire, and you can also go to Byronia Island where there is a giant god statue similar to the one in Nord.

“The Trails in the Sky characters from Liberl Kingdom will appear again and join the party, and you’ll link up with a certain person from Trails in the Zero. The mystery of Rean’s birth will also be revealed in this game.”

Regarding Battle Scenes

“The fundamental parts will not change, but one of the issues of command battles to be dealt with is that the battle progression seems slow. Since we’re on PlayStation 4 and have buttons, we thought why not directly assign [actions] to each button, so that’s what it became. It’s still in development, so it’s not yet fixed if it will be as you see it, but we’re shooting for something intuitive that progresses with the simple push of a button.

“Also, we’re thinking about a format that seamlessly shifts to battles from the map. Movement is as it was before, and your positional relation is important. We’re trying to properly preserve the idea of distance, such as being surrounded, at times you’re back-attacked.

“A new special command called ‘Brave Order’ is also being prepared.”

Regarding the Divine Knight System

“It’s still in development. It was a strong element of event battles in the previous game, but this time it will be incorporated as one of the game systems. We’re thinking about battles against several enemies.”

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2016/12/legend-h...half-trails-cold-steel-ii#fsGjL3lLjcj6hQdr.99

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Screenshots in Link.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/12/28/xseed-trails-in-the-sky-3rd/

XSEED Gives Fans Localization Update on Trails in the Sky the 3rd; New Screenshots

XSEED has shared some new localization details for the Falcom developed RPG The Legend of Heroes: Trails in The Sky the 3rd, coming to PCin 2017.

The team is currently deep in the debugging process at the moment, but is proud to announce that they are 100% done with the game’s English localization. However, currently the game is 33% edited. Furthermore, the team will be entering QA shortly.

For those who might not know, The Legend of Heroes is a text heavy game, with a large cast of characters and NPC’s who all have backstories.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I also posted this in the Ys thread, but Joyoland (Falcom's Chinese localizing partner) intends on bringing the Chinese PC versions of the crossbell games(as well as Ys Seven and Ys Celceta) onto Steam. This may or may not bring us one step closer to seeing english localizations of these games.

d95e5edcfe.jpg

Deleted member 7219

I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel 2 right now and it is even better. Story ramped up to 11 (occasionally reaching ridiculousness, but never overdoes it), still the same characters you know and love with a few new ones thrown in, new locations and old ones, great little interludes (like there were in TiTS 1 and 2), great music, and they actually fixed the horrible colour filter which nearly ruined the first game. Graphics are still early PS3 era but look a hell of a lot better now the weird colour tint has gone.

Will put up my full impressions when I complete it but I really like what these guys have done with this series. They introduce a new world and new characters in the first game, and then they expand on the story in the second one while keeping the systems intact. Compare to western RPG developers who keep changing the systems in every sequel and usually end up retconning parts of the story or making the characters worse.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel 2 right now and it is even better. Story ramped up to 11 (occasionally reaching ridiculousness, but never overdoes it), still the same characters you know and love with a few new ones thrown in, new locations and old ones, great little interludes (like there were in TiTS 1 and 2), great music, and they actually fixed the horrible colour filter which nearly ruined the first game. Graphics are still early PS3 era but look a hell of a lot better now the weird colour tint has gone.

Will put up my full impressions when I complete it but I really like what these guys have done with this series. They introduce a new world and new characters in the first game, and then they expand on the story in the second one while keeping the systems intact. Compare to western RPG developers who keep changing the systems in every sequel and usually end up retconning parts of the story or making the characters worse.
Fortunately, Falcom makes the best characters like Sara even better(the scene where she unlocks her second s-craft is ace).

Now that TiTS the 3rd is coming out I think I'll try picking up these games again. For some reason I stopped in the middle of the First Chapter. Can you import saves from previous titles? I've heard that the 3rd installment is PC only. Starting on the portable version sounds like a dead end if you can import.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Now that TiTS the 3rd is coming out I think I'll try picking up these games again. For some reason I stopped in the middle of the First Chapter. Can you import saves from previous titles? I've heard that the 3rd installment is PC only. Starting on the portable version sounds like a dead end if you can import.
Yes,completed saves from FC - > SC and then from SC-> The 3rd.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I finally beat TiTS SC on nightmare just a while ago. Daym, it was frustrating but also so satisfying at times.

Can't wait for TiTS 3 :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom