Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Old-school Space RPGs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, I've been playing MegaTraveller and it's so dull... yeah, the ruleset is deep and there's a bazillion upgrades to pursue, but that's about it. Combat is atrocious (it might be the first RTwP RPG!) and it just feel like they implemented the rules and forgot to add actual fucking content- it's just "grind until you're powerful enough to beat the game".

Still, the appeal of an RPG that allows me to customize my own spaceship, travel FREELY across space and land wherever I want to explore is amazing, so let's make a thread about them!

Starflight, Star Control, Planet's Edge, MegaTraveller, Hard Nova, Star Command, Star Saga: One, Sentinel Worlds, SunDog...

This thread is all about space RPGs, preferably the ones you can freely explore space AND land on planets as well. Which are the best, which you hated, and will we ever see games like these again?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Is this a Mass Effect (anti?)hype thread or just unfortunate timing?

We have a couple of steampunk RPGs coming, there's a new Cthulhu game right round the corner, but now you're moaning about a lack of space games... with Mass Effect foul nearly on the shelves...

Ah well. Maybe my post will trigger someone to write something about old RPGs, ya never know.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Starflight has the best exploration of any Space RPGs I've played, and piecing all the puzzles together reminds me a bit of Ultima 4-6.

First Buck Rogers game was excellent, exploring the classic Solar System of the old pulp magazines, with jungle covered Venus and space pirate infested Asteroid Belt. Also interesting twist on the Gold Box combat, and with skills, ship to ship combat and boarding actions.
Second game was a decline, though. Same enemies but souped up, and exploring same places.

Star Command was also pretty good, but bugged out on me near the end.

Could never get into games like MegaTraveler, Sentinel Worlds, Hard Nova and 1889 due to simplistic combat system.

Epsilon

Cipher
I'm currently replaying Starflight on Amiga, for the first time in 20 years. And I'm reminded just how good these games can be; It helps to explore the manual before you begin, because theres two races that don't like each other and they're good at different things. So when constructing your crew you have to take that into account, furthermore you will have difficulty communicating with the race thats opposing the one you have on board. It's really quite intricate.
And you feel that you actually achieve something when you get 150 in navigation on your navigator and can start using the hyperspace shortcuts "flux jumps". Theres just a lot to consider, but had it been a newer title you wouldn't have to consider anything because there'd be no wrong choices.

Planet's Edge is quite engrossing. Even if it has nothing to do structurally with Canegheim's Might and Magic, it has this New World Computing touch.

lemon-lime

Educated
Whale's Voyage - I've never played it, so I can't really say anything about it. But back in the day, reading about it intrigued me enough, that I still remember its title. Probably a lesser known one, considering it's from Austria, so I'll throw it in here as a reminder of its existence.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/whales-voyage

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Space RPG? Star Control? WTF? I kind of thought that the OP sort of knew what an RPG is...
If the free roaming is the criteria, even Elite or Frontier would fit; X series with a smaller universe probably as well. Also Privateer, Evochron Legacy. Not so many games where you can land on planets (ME1-3? RPG?)
Whale's Voyage I played through, but it sucked. On the other hand, I have never played MegaTraveller.
After Elite, I have probably enjoyed Space Rangers 2 the most.

Dorateen

Arcane
Besides Starflight and the Buck Rogers games, have there been other Space computer role-playing games with full party creation?

It's disappointing there was never one developed based on Gamma World or Star Frontiers. I would enjoy a proper Star Trek or Star Wars adventure with real character customization and variety of builds using races and classes. The original Battlestar Galactica, too.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I've played Megatraveller 2, it was indeed dull, but sometimes somewhat entertaining.

I played Sundog just last year and it's very, very good! It has a lot of very, very neat little things. From ship repair, using literal part of the ship as car, people who can rob your car if not properly parked. And it just finishes with glorious death run on the last planet in search of last colonist.
Planet is after orbital attack, almost everything is burned to the crisp, and you need to find small village where last cryogenic sleeper is. Path to the village is maze between craters, you can't even leave your vehicle because planet doesn't have atmosphere, village is rife with bandits and when you leave your car to visit warehouse - all your burgers are stolen. Your own inventory is four items and two of them are personal shield and blaster. I almost died from hunger when returning back and leaving this cursed stone ball forever.

Starflight, Star Control, Planet's Edge, MegaTraveller, Hard Nova, Star Command, Star Saga: One, Sentinel Worlds, SunDog...

and

Starflight has the best exploration of any Space RPGs I've played, and piecing all the puzzles together reminds me a bit of Ultima 4-6.

First Buck Rogers...
Second game was a decline...
Star Command...
...MegaTraveler, Sentinel Worlds, Hard Nova and 1889 due to simplistic combat system...

Can you really land on the planets and explore them without vehicle in any of these games?

I mean, first person or party-based walking, fight, resolve puzzles or interact on the planets surface. A multi-planet Albion or space Ultima/HoMM...

I played some games in your lists as Starflight and Star Control II (and I?) for example and I don't remember anything of that kind. The first game that I remember to play with this type of exploration probably was something of 2000 or so, The Fallen maybe (not a crpg, but an trekkie action-adventure indeed), but not free at spacefaring choices neither, nothing from 80s-90s? (If not rpg, classic adventure or old action/adventure)

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Stellar Tactics is in development. There will be Space exploration and squad based combat. Not sure about walking around on planets.

Star Wolves 2 & 3 have Space exploration, but it feels tacky.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

First Buck Rogers...
Second game was a decline...
Star Command...
...MegaTraveler, Sentinel Worlds, Hard Nova and 1889 due to simplistic combat system...

Can you really land on the planets and explore them without vehicle in any of these games?

I mean, first person or party-based walking, fight, resolve puzzles or interact on the planets surface. A multi-planet Albion or space Ultima/HoMM...

In Starflight you explore the galaxy, not individual planets. There are unique things to find on some planets, but you'll want the co-ordinates first.

In Buck Rogers you can "explore" Venus, except there's really not much to find; you start in SE and travel to the village in the NW. Most of the action not involving spaceships take place on a smaller scale: villages, installations on planets and astoroids and such.

Lostpleb

Learned
Reich Star.

Nazi Germany won WWII and went on to colonize space. Japan is engaged in a Cold War with them, and the player is tasked with leading a revolution against the fascist regime.

Here is the manual for old school feels~~~~
https://fr.scribd.com/doc/94709206/Reich-Star-Nazi-Germany-Space-SciFi-RPG

Rscover2.JPG

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

I played some games in your lists as Starflight and Star Control II (and I?) for example and I don't remember anything of that kind. The first game that I remember to play with this type of exploration probably was something of 2000 or so, The Fallen maybe (not a crpg, but an trekkie action-adventure indeed), but not free at spacefaring choices neither, nothing from 80s-90s? (If not rpg, classic adventure or old action/adventure)
There's plenty of game where you can land in planets, explore cities and even fight on foot:

215675-megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy-dos-screenshot-navigation.png
12131-megatraveller-1-the-zhodani-conspiracy-dos-screenshot-on-the.gif

Planets Edge:

634197-planet-s-edge-the-point-of-no-return-dos-screenshot-flying.png
772832-planet-s-edge-the-point-of-no-return-dos-screenshot-exploring.png

Sun Dog:

361553-sundog-frozen-legacy-atari-st-screenshot-where-to-next.png
sundog-hotel-interior.gif

Sentinel Worlds:

sentinel_worlds_i_-_future_magic_06.gif
sentinel_009.png

Hard Nova:

701887-hard-nova-dos-screenshot-an-intense-battle-against-powerful.png
701897-hard-nova-dos-screenshot-you-meet-some-miners-hmm-what-s-your.png

Problem is, I never felt any of those were GREAT games... feels like we never got the definitive game of this sub-genre.

Doma

Augur
Space Rangers 2 is just so much fun! I have been hoping for years that the Russians finally start making SR3, but no luck :(

Ah well, now that someone mentioned it I am off to make a new character!

So, I've been playing MegaTraveller and it's so dull... yeah, the ruleset is deep and there's a bazillion upgrades to pursue, but that's about it. Combat is atrocious (it might be the first RTwP RPG!) and it just feel like they implemented the rules and forgot to add actual fucking content- it's just "grind until you're powerful enough to beat the game".

Oh, it was dull as hell indeed! You could sell your ship's computer at the starting planet's spaceport, and buy the cheapest one, then sell it back for more than what it cost you! Rinse and repeat, and you'd soon have your ship decked out with the finest weapons and systems, and your whole group in power armour and with those laser bazookas. It was not a good game, but the munchkin in 11-year-old me liked it a lot.

I can't find any videos of this game...

That's because it's a pen and paper game. There's another one with a similar theme, although with a more Cold War theme (USSR managed to hold out, USA didn't enter the war because Lindbergh ran for president and won, the Reich made the EU and the Japanese have the Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere or however it was named, there's bases in the Moon and Mars) called "Walküre"; it's in Spanish (the core book is free to download form a couple of sites related to the development team) but as far as I know a translation into English is in the works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom