Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard West - tactical turn based + wild west setting

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've got a steam key for the DLC, anyone who actually played Hard West want it?

edit: taken

Last edited:
The DLC is essentially "more of the same" with a better developed story. What you get plays as longer version of one of the main campaign scenarios with more, and sometimes better crafted, combat encounters. If you loved the base game, then you'll like the DLC. It doesn't bring anything new to the table however. There's a "body parts" mechanism (the story has aspects of Frankenstein), but it's just a dressed-up version of the playing cards mechanism.

Unwanted

DrDigej

Unwanted
Their core gameplay system is broken though. The AI just doesnt understand LUCK. They design LUCK with the purpose of making turtling impossible due to enemy numbers yet ingame turtling is the safest, optimal route to win. Aside from rare timed missions. Also broken as fuck cards.
If you wanna larp mystic cowboy, sure... tactikewl gaymplay, nah...

ColCol

Arcane
Lol, look at the the supporters coming out. I can fish out a recent dev post where the devs even admit that its best to play one of the scenarios all the way through because loading a save will likely cause it to crash. I've had problems with certain scenarios since day one and I continue to have the same problems. Look at the forum, it is still littered with crash/glitch reports. Your the game experience might not encounter any issues, but that would be a roll of the dice.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Their core gameplay system is broken though. The AI just doesnt understand LUCK. They design LUCK with the purpose of making turtling impossible due to enemy numbers yet ingame turtling is the safest, optimal route to win. Aside from rare timed missions. Also broken as fuck cards.
If you wanna larp mystic cowboy, sure... tactikewl gaymplay, nah...

What you say is true, plus the flash game sections were mostly shit, strictly for flavor. The combat isn't terrible though, especially if you don't try to game it too much. If you proceed to the objectives in a straightforward way and don't worry too much about card configurations and save scumming, it's got one good solid playthrough of entertainment in it. I remember one mission where one of my goons had received a full roster of Wounds but somehow managed to survive, at the end they all turned to scars and he got a variety of boosts, which was pretty neat. If you proceed after an NPC dies, the game usually throws another one at you, and it's not like you need them to win the scenarios anyway.

Anyway if I tried to play it and had a bunch of bugs fuck it up I'd be angry about it.

Unwanted

DrDigej

Unwanted
Maybe half a playthrough. Till you give up on figuring out how the fuck CTH works and look it up online.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I played it on hardest difficulty and found combat good. I had enough fights that I had to redo the mission a few times until I figured out the best approach. The luck mechanic makes it more chess like than RNG based like nuXcom.

Maybe if you guys decided to do it "right" from the first attempt it might seem like it is easy or something.
In some missions one slight difference in your choice would lead to mission lost (like the one where you fight that guy with demon inside him, I redid that one like 5 times until I found a right combination of moves. That one felt like there was no RNG and you needed to do it precisely in certain way)

Darkzone

Arcane
CreativeForge Games are on another project now, hopefully they stay in this genre and expand upon rpg mechanisms.
They could establish Hard West as a franchise and with the upcoming Dark Tower film they could easy double their sale numbers.

Darkzone

Arcane
upcoming Dark Tower film they could easy double their sale numbers.
3rd person console shooter rpg!
A 3rd person (turnbased) (their current system was still quite consoly) rpg could be quite a good thing, if they can make intersting animation and interactions with the enviroment that can be observed.
They have some of the required assets and parts of the system and they could with half of the investment reach double the amount. I mean the film will be probably shit and i will definitly not watch it, like i will not watch the upcoming Ghost in the Shell film, because i don't like if someone is trampling upon the things i like. But this is a selling point that will bring a lot of new audience to the genre and it will probably even push Hard West in sales.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://steamcommunity.com/games/307670/announcements/detail/2886093395261892799

Patch 1.5! Save Game on Demand! The future is here!

In all seriousness, you've told us loud and clear that the ability to save at any point was important to you. While individual missions aren't that long and we originally tried to minimize hiding behind saves to avoid the cruel hand of fate, that was an idea which didn't suit everyone. Adding the save game functionality after launch was actually quite tricky and required extensive testing but here it is. We're calling it an experimental feature because the game was originally balanced without it but we've put it through a lot of tests, and we believe it works well.

tl;dr

1. Go to Options > Game > Enable Quicksaves
2. You can re-bind the keys (default F10 save, F11 load); on a controller, it's bound permanently (LT+RB save, LT+LB load in the in-game menu).
3. Have fun!
4. There are certain rather obvious situations when the game can't be saved: during cutscenes, during the enemy's turn, while your characters are performing an action.

Full 1.5 patch notes:
  • added quick save&load experimental support
  • added official support for the Xbox One Controller
  • rendering optimizations
  • fixed a pesky old bug with corrupted saves in world map (where only skull and fog were visible after load)
  • fixed another old bug with corrupted saves in Method in Madness world map (block after visiting Laboratory)
  • fixed a bug with infinite enemy turn in A Matter of Time second mission (Lake Hideout) after using the Terror card in specific place
  • fixed a bug with corrupted dialog options in the Riverbank location in In Gold We Trust scenario (while pursuing the cowards)
  • fixed a bug with inability to use Petrification Bolt item using X360/XONE Controller
  • fixed a bug with a corrupted cursor while using a controller in Hard Times scenario world map
  • fixed a bug with corrupted O'Connell animation after he bleeds out in In Gold We Trust fourth mission
  • fixes to Fan Localization Support

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for your continued support! That includes everyone who believed in Hard West when it was first revealed, all of you who bought the game and all the amazing community translators who bring the game to more audiences through their work!

We're hard at work on our next game and we're hoping to show it to you quite soon. In the meantime, have fun in the Weird West!

A new game, eh?

http://www.creativeforge.pl/

We are a mid-size game development studio based in Warsaw, Poland. We're best known for Hard West, the turn-based Wild West strategy with a horror twist. Right now our team of more than 40 is working on our largest project, slated for 2018 for PC and consoles.

From the looks of job listings (via Google Translate), they're still sticking to tactical side, using Unreal Engine 4, and looking for multiplayer programmer.

Saduj

Arcane
If anyone has been on the fence about buying this, the game is 75% discounted this weekend. Just picked it up myself.

We are a mid-size game development studio based in Warsaw, Poland. We're best known for Hard West, the turn-based Wild West strategy with a horror twist. Right now our team of more than 40 is working on our largest project, slated for 2018 for PC and consoles.

From the looks of job listings (via Google Translate), they're still sticking to tactical side, using Unreal Engine 4, and looking for multiplayer programmer.

Without google translate it looks the same. They ask for someone with a knowledge about tactical games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Heh, I never finished this game. Got 3/4 through, then the game crashed and I put it on pause and lost saves when I upgraded my PC.
Nice to see they are still patching it. Maybe some day I start over.

Beastro

Arcane
Was looking forward to this when I heard about it until I heard about the supernatural shit.

I just want a nice, grounded, typical Western RPG to play, that at most, takes some licenses from old classical movies and TV shows in building its world so you have some variety in story and setting but have it deliver what it's main selling point is and nothing extra in a lame attempt to spice things up.

I genuinely am puzzled why they added it to the setting. Americans never needed anything more than a basic story in a Western setting to go wild. Imagine what they'd have been like if computer games had been kicking around while it was still a big thing in their country.

And before any of you sneer at that, stop and think about the fact how the more Americans get further away from that part of their culture and their outright obsession with it, the more pathetic and insufferable they become. The US is need of a massive falling back in love with it's Western heritage and have it be something more of the way they were obsessed with it until the 70s rather than a simple fad that will come and go in a matter of years as is all that's happened since.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha. Weird West is a fine setting, just like you can have 30s gangster stories or 30s Lovecraftian stories. And guess what, stories about ghosts and demons have been around longer than America has even existed. You want to talk about getting back to our roots, horror is much more important than cowboys. I like straight Westerns too, but blaming a fictional fad for cultural decline is amusingly similar to claiming that the stable is haunted. Look out Beastro! Ghosts!! :lol:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Deadlands came in the thread, cried, and left.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom